Private Street

Stephen Johnson
I have run across a couple of roads that are designated on the road sign as "Private Street".  I think this is a jurisdictional designation.  By that I mean I think these are streets on the edge of the city limits that are not in the city and therefore are privately maintained.  One of these streets had a sign that said "City Maintenance Ends".  My question is should these roads have the designation "access:private" when they are really no more private than any other residential street.

Re: Private Street

Clifford Snow

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Stephen Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have run across a couple of roads that are designated on the road sign as "Private Street".  I think this is a jurisdictional designation.  By that I mean I think these are streets on the edge of the city limits that are not in the city and therefore are privately maintained.  One of these streets had a sign that said "City Maintenance Ends".  My question is should these roads have the designation "access:private" when they are really no more private than any other residential street.

The wiki defines access:private as "Only with permission of the owner on an individual basis." With no access restrictions, I'd would tag them as residential with no access tag.

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Private Street

Andre Engels
Isn't this the kind of situation that access:permissive is meant for?

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Stephen Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have run across a couple of roads that are designated on the road sign as "Private Street".  I think this is a jurisdictional designation.  By that I mean I think these are streets on the edge of the city limits that are not in the city and therefore are privately maintained.  One of these streets had a sign that said "City Maintenance Ends".  My question is should these roads have the designation "access:private" when they are really no more private than any other residential street.

André Engels, [hidden email]

Re: Private Street

Philip Barnes

Its not nesessarilly permissive, permissive mean that the landowner has given permission to access, but can be withdrawn as it is not a legal right.

The uk term for these roads its unadopted, and it means that residents pay for upkeep, not the local authority.

Unless there is signage indicating access restrictions, then assume there aren't any.

Phil (trigpoint)

--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 18/03/2014 7:59 Andre Engels wrote:

Isn't this the kind of situation that access:permissive is meant for?

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Stephen Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have run across a couple of roads that are designated on the road sign as "Private Street".  I think this is a jurisdictional designation.  By that I mean I think these are streets on the edge of the city limits that are not in the city and therefore are privately maintained.  One of these streets had a sign that said "City Maintenance Ends".  My question is should these roads have the designation "access:private" when they are really no more private than any other residential street.

André Engels, [hidden email]

Re: Private Street

SomeoneElse
On 18/03/2014 13:16, Philip Barnes wrote:

The uk term for these roads its unadopted, and it means that residents pay for upkeep, not the local authority.

Unless there is signage indicating access restrictions, then assume there aren't any.

I'd also interpret a rottweiler on a chain or a locked gate as an "access restriction" :)

Cheers

Andy

Re: Private Street

Murry McEntire

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Stephen Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have run across a couple of roads that are designated on the road sign as "Private Street".  I think this is a jurisdictional designation.  By that I mean I think these are streets on the edge of the city limits that are not in the city and therefore are privately maintained.  One of these streets had a sign that said "City Maintenance Ends".  My question is should these roads have the designation "access:private" when they are really no more private than any other residential street.

In my area of the U.S., the sign is "Private Road" and is seen inside and outside cities. It is often seen in housing complexes or private communities with internal streets and in rural areas where distinguishing a public road from a (long) driveway is otherwise difficult. While true that the road is not owned or maintained publicly, the sign is a specific posting that the road is not for general public use and a trespassing charge could be levied.
Signs saying End of Maintenance (in various forms) are used to signify the road is not maintained by a public authority.

Re: Private Street

Johannes Hüsing
Stephen Johnson <[hidden email]> [Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 05:58:06AM CET]:
> I have run across a couple of roads that are designated on the road sign as "Private Street".  I think this is a jurisdictional designation.  By that I mean I think these are streets on the edge of the city limits that are not in the city and therefore are privately maintained.  One of these streets had a sign that said "City Maintenance Ends".  My question is should these roads have the designation "access:private" when they are really no more private than any other residential street.

access=private is definitely wrong, as others have pointed out. My first idea would be using the operator-tag. To quote from the Wiki: "maybe also streets maintained by private companies where a fee is required". Why not mention the owner even if no fee is required.

--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture