Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com

Hello,

After that i have build my OSM map on the latest MKGMAP version mkgmap-r4286.zip

and import my map to my garmin device, i cant use the search on it.

When i'm trying to search for a plce or house adress, and the garmin system return an empty result.

it cant find nothing on the imported map.

Please advice.

Thanks

Benny D

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,
please see my answer to your last post:
http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Problem-using-the-search-on-my-Garmin-device-for-map-tc5939593.html#a5939596

Gerd

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Well if I’m looking for the city via the POI I can find it!

I use the following create:
java -Xmx1200m -jar mkgmap.jar --style-file=C:\GPS\Mkgmap\styles --style="israel" --output-dir=C:\GPS\Garmin_Maps\BMW --gmapsupp -c C:\GPS\Map_Split\template.args

My Template.args:

#
# This file can be given to mkgmap using the -c option
# Please edit it first to add a description of each map.
#

# You can set the family id for the map
family-id: 9720
# product-id: 1
overview-mapname: Israel_BEN

# Following is a list of map tiles.  Add a suitable description
# for each one.

country-name: Israel"
country-abbr: "IL"
unicode
name-tag-list: name:he
remove-short-arcs
generate-sea=multipolygon,extend-sea-sectors,close-gaps=6000,floodblocker
check-roundabouts
drive-on: right
route
net
add-pois-to-areas
add-pois-to-lines
merge-lines
location-autofill: 1
split-name-index
housenumbers

mapname: 97200001
country-name: "israel"
country-abbr: "il"
unicode
input-file: 97200001.osm.pbf

mapname: 97200002
country-name: "israel"
country-abbr: "il"
unicode
input-file: 97200002.osm.pbf

mapname: 97200003
country-name: "israel"
country-abbr: "il"
unicode
input-file: 97200003.osm.pbf

mapname: 97200004
country-name: "israel"
country-abbr: "il"
unicode
input-file: 97200004.osm.pbf

mapname: 97200005
country-name: "israel"
country-abbr: "il"
unicode
input-file: 97200005.osm.pbf

mapname: 97200006
country-name: "israel"
country-abbr: "il"
unicode
input-file: 97200006.osm.pbf

Any Idea
Thanks

On 16 May 2019, at 14:00, [hidden email] wrote:

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,

I've created a map with your options and the default style. I have no idea how to type the hebrew characters on my Oregon but with Basecamp 4.6.2 address search seems to work well. I tested with e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2079033860
I search for housenumber 3 and street זלוציסטי and the result is a pointer which is more or less exactly at the right place.
The same goes for Mapsource 6.16.3

Please check if you can reproduce these results.

Gerd

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Well i have tried the search that you post the street name “זלוציסטי״. And it
is not working on the gps.
I’m trying to find the following adress:
City : קיריית מוצקין
 Street: הרב קוק
House number: 107.  Or any from 1 to 100.....

But it is not working on the gps.
On the osm map i can find it easily, it seems that something is not working
for the garmin device.

Any idea?

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,
I think the results from a search in OSM is not that relevant here.

I've uploaded my test data here:
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/446/benny.zip
The command to create the map:
java -jar d:\mkgmap\dist\mkgmap.jar -c benny.args --output-dir=map tel-aviv.osm

The map seems to work fine in Basecamp. Please try. If it works for you the problem is in your style file.

Gerd

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,

forgot to mention some possible problems:
You options file starts with
country-name: Israel"
country-abbr: "IL"

and later you overwrite those with
country-name: "israel"
country-abbr: "il"

Since you don't use the --bounds option maybe this causes trouble, so I would remove those lines unless your style depends on them. There is also no need to repeat options unicode and description with the same values.

Unless all objects in Israel have a name:he tag the option name-tag-list should probably contain name as well:
name-tag-list: name:he,name

Gerd

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Well i used your data and i upload the map to my gps, and it is not working
as well!
I try to use your search for   house number 3 זלוציסטי

any other idea?

could i make some option that will show me the db info so i could see if it
seem ok.

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,

you say "is not working". Please can you describe this more detailed? Tell us the device and the steps you use to search for an address.
Or maybe add screenshots.

Sample description:
On my Oregon 600 with a map for some central european countries I have an icon showing a magnifying glass, it opens a lost of possible routing targets containing "Adresses". When I select that item I am asked for the country, I select e.g. Germany, next for the city, I type a few characters, e.g. WILD and get a list containing my home town "Wildeshausen". When I select that I can enter the road name. When I enter e.g. "aaa" and press the check button I get "no result", that means the device cannot find a matching road. When I type e.g. "ah" it will return a list containing "Ahlhorner Strasse" and "Ahornstrasse". When I select "Ahornstrasse" I am asked for the house number. When I enter 0 or maybe 2 I get a list of known numbers (1 and 12) and can select one. this shows the map with a pinpoint. When I enter 1 or 12 I get directly to that map.

Gerd

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Well it is the smae as you wrote.
I'm using the magnifying glass i tyied to use the following in the upper
search bar:
זלוציסטי 3, תל אביב-יפו

return: "no result"

I tried only:
זלוציסטי

return: "no result"

I have tried using the adress button with the follwoing:
city:  תל אביב-יפו
house number: 3
street : זלוציסטי

return: "no result"

i have tried to search the street on the OSM web and it found it no problem!

I dont no what to look for else...

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,

now I am confused. This sounds as if you are searching in Basecamp?
With the map I've created there is no city name.
So, please remove the city תל אביב-יפו

Gerd

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Well i was trying with and with out the city,
i build a new IMG file and tried on with the same results.

It seems that the search cant find that name no matter what, i have tried to
find it all over with no city and it was the same.

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
[hidden email] wrote
> Well i was trying with and with out the city,
> i build a new IMG file and tried on with the same results.
>
> It seems that the search cant find that name no matter what, i have tried
> find it all over with no city and it was the same.

What Basecamp version do you use?

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
im not using basecamp!  i just upload the img file to my device and use it

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,

Hard to get information from you ;)

You don't use the --bounds option so it is quite likely that mkgmap doesn't find the city name for a given object with addr:housenumber

So, maybe try to download the bounds.zip and use the --bounds option.

Gerd

now I am confused. This sounds as if you are searching in Basecamp?
With the map I've created there is no city name.
So, please remove the city úì àáéá-éôå

Gerd

I'm using the magnifying glass i tyied to use the following in the upper
search bar:
æìåöéñèé 3, úì àáéá-éôå

return: "no result"

I tried only:
æìåöéñèé

return: "no result"

I have tried using the adress button with the follwoing:
city:  úì àáéá-éôå
house number: 3
street : æìåöéñèé

return: "no result"

i have tried to search the street on the OSM web and it found it no problem!

I dont no what to look for else...

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Hi Gred,

Sorry if i'm not understandble, but what is the --bounds and where can i get
the bounds.zip ?

Benny,

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

nwillink
Hi

This might have no bearing on it but address searches did not work on my
gpsmap66s UNTIL I updated the firmware.

Perhaps check for an update?

Nick

On 28/05/2019 09:00, [hidden email] wrote:

> Well i was trying with and with out the city,
> i build a new IMG file and tried on with the same results.
>
> It seems that the search cant find that name no matter what, i have tried to
> find it all over with no city and it was the same.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Mkgmap-Development-f5324443.html

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,

bounds.zip contains the boundaries for the whole planet. Download:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/download/mkgmap.html

See also
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/doc/options

Gerd

Sorry if i'm not understandble, but what is the --bounds and where can i get
the bounds.zip ?

Benny,

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Wow !

Now i can find the street but the area should be tel aviv region and not tel
aviv city, what ese can i do so i could find the correct city name?

So i could find the place using the city, house number, city....

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
You probably need some country specific rules like that for Germany in the default style file address:
# Germany = DEU cities
mkgmap:country=DEU & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level4=Hamburg {set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level4}' }
mkgmap:country=DEU & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level4=Berlin {set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level4}' }
mkgmap:country=DEU & mkgmap:region!=* & mkgmap:admin_level4=* { set mkgmap:region='${mkgmap:admin_level4}' }
mkgmap:country=DEU & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level8=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level8|subst:Gemeinde |subst:Stadt }' }
mkgmap:country=DEU & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level7=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level7|subst:Gemeinde |subst:Stadt }' }
mkgmap:country=DEU & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level6=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level6|subst:Gemeinde |subst:Stadt }' }

Gerd
mkgmap:country=DEU & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level9=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level9|subst:Gemeinde |subst:Stadt }' }