Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
First i would to thank you for all your help.

So for the style do i need to write it like that?
mkgmap:country=il & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level9=* { set
mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level9|subst:Gemeinde |subst:Stadt }' }
mkgmap:country=il & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level10=* { set
mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level10|subst:Gemeinde |subst:Stadt }' }

Or i need to use the one that is in youe example but to change the DEU to IL
or il or ILS or ISRAEL??

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
The content of mkgmap:country should be the "Three letter ISO code", so ISR.
And of course you have to use the hebrew version of Stadt and Gemeinde in the subst clauses.

The style manual explains the details, see http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/doc/index.html

Gerd

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Hi,

and in my template.args do i need to use:
country-name: "israel"
country-abbr: "ISR"

?

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
With bounds you can / should remove both options.

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Hello again,

I have difficulties implementing the style, and i tried to use the manual
but with out sucsess.

If i need a style for HEBREW lang do i need to build the style using HEBREW?

Is there any style demo file that use other languge maybe it will be more
clear to me how exactly i need to write my own style.

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
[hidden email] wrote

> Hello again,
>
> I have difficulties implementing the style, and i tried to use the manual
> but with out sucsess.
>
> If i need a style for HEBREW lang do i need to build the style using
> HEBREW?
>
> Is there any style demo file that use other languge maybe it will be more
> clear to me how exactly i need to write my own style.

Maybe a simple example helps to start:
mkgmap:country=ISR & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level8='תל אביב-יפו' {set
mkgmap:city='תל אביב' }

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Hi Gred,

Thanks For all you help, but just make sure.
if i need to extract the city from the OSM file so i would be correct in the
Garmin db search, i need to write the example to each city??

is there abeeter way to simply extract the city name form the OSM file?  buy
the bunderis file?

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,

the better way is to use rules which work for many names, like those with subst in the previous posts.
I have no idea what exactly you want to achive and I cannot read hebrew, so I don't see what the hebrew names have in common.
So, you have to do the work:
1) List all names which you don't like and the corresponding adminlevel
2) Try to find common patterns
3) Try to find rules using these patterns.

For example, if all names with adminlevel 6 contain a hebrew string XYZ which you want to remove you need something like
mkgmap:country=ISR & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level6=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level6|subst:XYZ}' }

Gerd

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Bennyd999@gmail.com
Hello again,

Well the problems that i have are the following:
When i' trying to find a strees like the one that you have used in your
example, and then i'm trying to find it only in the city of tel aviv, i cnat
find it but when i'm writing (in hebrew) to serch in Tel aviv central
district, then the garmin able to find it.

I'm using the bounds-latest.zip and this give me the ability to find that
street but i whant to be able to find it by the city name and not by the
district name....

is there away to solve that using the style files?  or i need to do
something with the bounds-latest file.

Thanks again
Benny,

Re: Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Benny,

the bounds.zip is an extract of the OSM database. You can create such a file on your own, see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/options#Using_preprocessed_bounds_for_the_address_index

You have several options, none is quick or simple:
1) If you think that the data in OSM is really wrong, you can edit the data and wait until a new bounds-latest.zip is available
2) If you think the data is correct but you want different hebrew strings you can either
2a) extract the data from OSM, edit it locally(with JOSM) and create a bounds.zip from that local copy or
2b) add rules to the style which change the unwanted strings to the wanted before they are written to the garmin map

The last method is the usual one, but it seems you have no idea what a style does or how the rules work, so either get familiar with that or maybe ask someone who can read hebrew and has some programming skills to help you.
I can help when you think that a rule doesn't work as documented, but I can't (and don't want to) write the rules for you.

Gerd