Processing of mp source

popej
Hi,

I'm curious, what processing is active, when source data is in mp
format. Particularly, which mkgmap options are active?

For example, do these options have any use:

no-lower-case
reduce-point-density
reduce-point-density-polygon
merge-lines
min-size-polygon
polygon-size-limits
drive-on=detect
order-by-decreasing-area
preserve-element-order

I have noticed, that --copyright-file option doesn't work, is it a bug?
Maybe copyright form mp file could be used instead?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Processing of mp source

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

no-lower-case: don't know yet
reduce-point-density: yes
reduce-point-density-polygon: yes
merge-lines: is default, if disabled it has an influence
min-size-polygon: yes
polygon-size-limits:yes
drive-on:detect is only implemented for OSM input
order-by-decreasing-area: should work, not tested
preserve-element-order: only used with OSM source, I think polish data is always processed in order of appearance

Reg. --copyright-file: Yes, IIGTR the string given in the *.mp file is used.

Gerd

Re: Processing of mp source

popej
Hi Gerd,

good to see, that optimizations are active.

I set both variants: copyright in mp and in copyright-file, but img
contains empty string. I think mp header is not processed at all, at
least I haven't found any procedure for it.

On the other side, license-file works correctly.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Processing of mp source

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

please try attached patch. It implements support for --copyright-file and --copyright-message option in PolishReader.

I could not reproduce the problem that the "Copyright" in Img section line is ignored.
Option --no--lower-case is default, --lower-case works

Gerd

mp-copyright.patch (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Processing of mp source

popej
Hi Gerd,

I was looking at wrong places. Actually there is a copyright line from
mp header.

After patching, option "copyright-file" overrides mp header. Without
"copyright-file" reappears value from mp. I'm not sure, maybe there
should be both copyrights present? Dropping a copyright doesn't look proper.

When copyright from mp header is used, is preceded by a line: "PROGRAM
LICENCED UNDER GPL V2". I guess it is about mkgamp, wouldn't be better
to put explicit "PROGRAM MKGMAP..." there? Just to make sure, it wasn't
Mapwel or MapTk ;)

One more question. Does mkgmap correct problems with routing network in
mp? I mean problems like distance between routing nodes too short, road
intersects with itself or something like adjusting turn headings.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Processing of mp source

Mike Baggaley
Regarding the "PROGRAM LICENCED UNDER GPL V2" message, I do not think this
should be in the copyright at all. The copyright statement is about the
copyright of the map, not the program used to build the map. However, the
source code indicates that there have to be at least two copyright messages
or the map does not show up, and this message is only added if there are
less than 2 copyright messages. Something has to be added (or it could exit
saying you must provide a copyright statement). Perhaps some investigation
needed?

I think that if a copyright file is provided, this should override any
existing copyright messages from any input files (i.e. the functionality is
correct now). If you are providing a copyright file, it is up to you to make
sure it contains all messages that are required.

Regards,
Mike

Re: Processing of mp source

popej
Hi Mike,

 > I think that if a copyright file is provided, this should override any
 > existing copyright messages from any input files

It looks like current processing of copyright-file is to override any
previously defined copyright. This is acceptable, only needs a clear
explanation in documentation.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Processing of mp source

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

IIGTR I should commit mp-copyright.patch ?

Gerd

 > I think that if a copyright file is provided, this should override any
 > existing copyright messages from any input files

It looks like current processing of copyright-file is to override any
previously defined copyright. This is acceptable, only needs a clear
explanation in documentation.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Processing of mp source

popej
Hi Gerd,

yes, it can be commited, I haven't noticed any problems.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej