Proposal - Key:access=restricted

henkevdb

Possibility to 'introduce' a Key:access=restricted ... with description ; traffic only open for mentioned*=yes .

Could be a simple 'replacement' for several others, like i.e. ;

access=restricted + agricultural=yes (because ;"Only for agricultural traffic")

and access=restricted + forestry=yes (because; "Only for forestry traffic.")

and access=restricted + delivery=yes (because; "Only when delivering to the element")

and so on ...

Because there is some 'confusing' for several 'cases' -> https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=65458

Re: Proposal - Key:access=restricted

Jarek Piórkowski
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 12:54, henkevdb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Possibility to 'introduce' a Key:access=restricted ... with description ; traffic only open for mentioned*=yes .

IMHO: What is the advantage over using access=no? access=no already
compounds like this. This also works in parallel with existing
schemes, like restriction=no_left_turn + except=bus.

> Could be a simple 'replacement' for several others, like i.e. ;
>
> access=restricted + agricultural=yes (because ;"Only for agricultural traffic")
> and access=restricted + forestry=yes (because; "Only for forestry traffic.")

access=no + agricultural=yes
access=no + forestry=yes

More specific tag overrides the general "access" tag

> and access=restricted + delivery=yes (because; "Only when delivering to the element")

access=delivery is in the wiki table and already has 12000 uses
Possibly many cases can be described as access=destination which has
247000 uses

> Because there is some 'confusing' for several 'cases' -> https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=65458

highway=track + foot=yes + bicycle=yes + motor_vehicle=private should
cover it, optionally also access=no (which is then overridden for
foot=yes, bicycle=no, motor_vehicle=private)

You said in the forum "not such a good tag for paths along
watercourses" to access=private but I don't really understand why you
think this.

--Jarek

Re: Proposal - Key:access=restricted

Jarek Piórkowski
Reposting to mailing list, after henkevdb sent to my personal email

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 14:16, henkevdb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> watercourses ( in Belgium anyway) are (mostly) open to the 'general
> public', so , access=no (with description ; "No access for the general
> public.") is not good then

Don't set general access tag then, and set only what is restricted.
motor_vehicle=private?

> ... also, access=private is not good because
> of description ; "Only with individual permission" ...

What is the problem with this description? Remember that we're tagging
for the general case. If there is an natural emergency and an army
vehicle needs to use it, motor_vehicle wouldn't stop them, and we
shouldn't tag for it.

> also this 'case'
> is better 'suitable' with access=restricted ->
> https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=736136#p736136

access=no, and don't tag highly exceptional uses IMO

Otherwise did you also change the maxheight tag because of the guy
raising the one cable in the photo?
Would you retag a cycleway to exceptional_traffic=emergency if you see
a firefighting vehicle standing on it one day while responding to a
fire?

--Jarek

Re: Proposal - Key:access=restricted

Markus-5
Hi!

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019, 18:55 henkevdb, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Possibility to 'introduce' a Key:access=restricted ... with description ; traffic only open for mentioned*=yes .

Could be a simple 'replacement' for several others, like i.e. ;

access=restricted + agricultural=yes (because ;"Only for agricultural traffic")

and access=restricted + forestry=yes (because; "Only for forestry traffic.")

and access=restricted + delivery=yes (because; "Only when delivering to the element")

Seems you are mixing up transport mode, which is the key, with access, which is the value.

For example, agricultural=* means agricultural vehicles (a transport mode) [1], while *=agricultural means agricultural traffic is allowed (access) [2].

Thus,

* 'only for agricultural traffic' is vehicle=agricultural
* 'only for forestry traffic' is vehicle=forestry
* 'only for agricultural or forestry traffic' is vehicle=agricultural;forestry
* 'only when delivering to the element' is *=delivery (transport mode depending on additional traffic sign, probably vehicle=delivery)

Even if only one transport mode is allowed, this can be tagged access=no + <transport mode>=yes, for example access=no + psv=yes if only public service vehicles are allowed. Therefore i don't see why we would need *=restricted.

Regards

Markus