Proposal for a revision of JA:Available Data

Proposal for a revision of JA:Available Data

石野貴之
Hello, everyone. I'm from Okayama, Japan.

"What kind of data can be used in OpenStreetMap?"
Our community has put together common understandings about the issue on the following page. (written in Japanese)

Recently, Tomoya Muramoto (user:muramototomoya) proposed for a revision of this guidline.
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ja/2019-June/010597.html

The table on JA:Available_Data says that we can use data on websites, such as names, addresses and phone numbers
because they are not copyrighted works but facts. However, Tomoya is against such a point of view.
He thinks that licences for these data are not ODbL-compatible and that we should refrain from using them.

We have unanimously agreed that websites which provide secondary information, including Wikipedia, Wikidata
and curation sites must not be used for sources.

The main point at issue is whether we are allowed to use official websites that provide primary information or not.
Some of us think that we can use data from official websites unless it is prohibited by their term of service.
Tomoya is also against using official websites. His opinion is that we would able to map POIs without surveying on the ground at all
if it was OK to use data from websites.
(example: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ja/2019-June/010604.html )

We agreed that this is about on the basis of OSM and the discussion should not be brought to an end in the Japanese community.

What do you think about the issue? We would like to hear your honest opinion.

Thank you.

Takayuki Ishino (User: yumean1119)

Discussion stopped here (Re: Proposal for a revision of JA:Available Data)

石野貴之
Sorry for the readers of talk-ml:

The previous mail was cross-posted on talk, talk-ja and legal-talk.
However, I was given an  advice to avoid cross-posting and aggregate the discussion on legal-talk.

So, if you are interested in this topic, please subscribe legal-talk and continue conversation there.
Thank you!

Takayuki Ishino (User: yumean1119)

Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Proposal for a revision of JA:Available Data

Mateusz Konieczny-3
5 Jul 2019, 05:22 by [hidden email]:
The main point at issue is whether we are allowed to use official websites that provide primary information or not.
Some of us think that we can use data from official websites unless it is prohibited by their term of service.
I am not a lawyer, please correct me if I am wrong:
- facts are not copyrightable and from copyright view it does not matter whatever
one copied information from opening hours sign or from website
- collections of facts may have copyright or copyright like restrictions, copying
phone book or all branches of $CORPORATION may be not OK
- copying collections of facts is not OK also when distributed among many people
(that is why Wikidata is problematic - copying database one fact at time is not removing
sui generis database rights)
is also against using official websites. His opinion is that we would able to map POIs without surveying on the ground at all
if it was OK to use data from websites.
1) Some survey is necessary to check whatever data is trustworthy and up to date
2) Even if true it would not influence copyright status of such data
3) Imports (mapping POIs without surveying) is acceptable in case of good data on a suitable
license and following import guidelines and there are cases of succesfull and useful imports
doing this.
What do you think about the issue?
I am sure that mapping opening hours, name etc from signs is OK.
I am sure that mapping opening hours, name etc from website of individual business is OK.
I am sure that "we would able to map POIs without surveying on the ground at all" does not
matter as far as copyright status of such data is concerned.

I am not sure is it OK to systematically copy such data from website that is basically a database.
I am not sure is it OK to systematically copy such data from website that is basically a database,
with individuals copying one fact at time.