Proposal for a study about tagging "suitability"

Proposal for a study about tagging "suitability"

Pieren
In recent times, I've noticed few tags that are massively incorrectly
used in OSM with the help of taginfo.
Two examples :
"designation" : 31000 values for 111000 objects ([1])
"location" : 7300 values for 31000 objects ([2])
Of course, some keys are per se multivaluable, like "source", "fixme",
"comment" or "note". Most of the other keys are wikied with a list of
values which can be very long but cannot be closed by definition (e.g.
"amenity", "landuse", etc). But we have a category of keys where the
list of values is limited by definition like "oneway" or "tunnel".
Some QA tools even reports "unknown" values as "errors" or at least
"warnings" for them.
I think it would be interesting to study the ratio values/instances
for the last category. When it is exceeding a ratio 'x', it is
indicating that the tag failed on its job either because one of the
OSM editor is using it incorrectly (P2 presets for "designation") or
simply because it is not enough self-explanatory ("location").
Any thought, comments ?

Pieren

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/designation
[2] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/location

Re: Proposal for a study about tagging "suitability"

Richard Fairhurst
Pieren wrote:
> When it is exceeding a ratio 'x', it is indicating that the tag
> failed on its job either because one of the OSM editor is
> using it incorrectly (P2 presets for "designation") or
> simply because it is not enough self-explanatory ("location").
> Any thought, comments ?

Yeah, my thought is that if you had actually sent a patch for the P2 presets rather than just complaining about it, then maybe the designation issue would actually have been solved more quickly.

After all, editing one XML config file and sending a pull request shouldn't be too hard for someone who "developed the Josm plugin cadastre-fr for the French cadastre WMS, implemented the Lambert Zone projections and various DOM-TOM projections and fixed related issues in JOSM core". :)

Still, given that I've been waiting since 2008 for you to just forward some details about the French cadastre so I can include support in P2, I guess that ain't going to happen. So:

https://github.com/systemed/potlatch2/commit/968947cd77747b7444e6e41856ccf8e38f7a68aa

and for bonus points:

https://github.com/systemed/potlatch2/commit/71ade0058ae0685c5844fcf63b3f269c8d466607

Richard

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, my thought is that if you had actually sent a patch for the P2 presets
> rather than just complaining about it, then maybe the designation issue
> would actually have been solved more quickly.

This is not a post on the dev list neither a complain about a P2 bug.
This has been done separately with a trac ticket.

My message is about tags that are massively misused/misinterpreted by
contributors in general and how we could detect them by statistics.
Sad that you took one example as personal attack against P2. It was
not my intention.

Pieren

Roo