Proposal to close newbies@ list

Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Proposal to close newbies@ list

Richard Fairhurst
Hi all,

Usage of the [hidden email] mailing list, set up in 2007 to
provide help to new users, has dwindled to almost nothing. There were no
posts in September, October, November, or December.

Generally we now have better places to provide help to new users -
principally http://help.openstreetmap.org/ , but also national forums
and mailing lists. There is also more OSM documentation than was once
the case.

So that new users don't seek help in a little-used backwater, but
instead go to a place where help is more likely to be found, I'm
proposing (as list admin) to close the list to subscriptions and to
posting. The list archives would be retained.

If you have a compelling reason why the list should not be closed,
please speak up now. You'll need to volunteer to be the admin though. ;)

cheers
Richard

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposal to close newbies@ list

Fanie van der Walt
Hi Richard,

I have dabbled in map corrections only lightly, and I enjoyed the
experience. I still consider myself a newby, though. OSM did help me to
navigate from Poland to The Netherlands during a holiday, so I remain a fan.

I have been following this newsletter for some time, and it gave me some
understanding of what is possible in OSM. I want to thank you for your
dedication, and though I am slightly sad that the newsletter will be no
more, I cannot really justify its existence. It did give me pleasure.

Greetings,

Fanie van der Walt
Pretoria, South Africa



On 11/01/2016 16:28, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Usage of the [hidden email] mailing list, set up in 2007 to
> provide help to new users, has dwindled to almost nothing. There were
> no posts in September, October, November, or December.
>
> Generally we now have better places to provide help to new users -
> principally http://help.openstreetmap.org/ , but also national forums
> and mailing lists. There is also more OSM documentation than was once
> the case.
>
> So that new users don't seek help in a little-used backwater, but
> instead go to a place where help is more likely to be found, I'm
> proposing (as list admin) to close the list to subscriptions and to
> posting. The list archives would be retained.
>
> If you have a compelling reason why the list should not be closed,
> please speak up now. You'll need to volunteer to be the admin though. ;)
>
> cheers
> Richard
>
> _______________________________________________
> newbies mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposal to close newbies@ list

Abhijit Kshirsagar
Hello,

I'm in favor of closing this list.

I've been using OSM for 5+ years now, and really happy with it.
I started contributing only recently, and I joined all the mailing
lists I could find at the time.
As a newbie I found that the documentation is quite scattered, so
maybe the last few posts on this list could be
a summary of the resource base for newbies.

Regards,

Abhijit
Bangalore, India

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposal to close newbies@ list

Xan-3
In reply to this post by Richard Fairhurst
The only reason about maintaining that is because, in my opinion, the help.openstreetmap.org answers are shorter than here in the mailing list. Here the newbies have very deep explanation of things and in help.OSM just a short message.

But close if you are overwheelmed.

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 14:28:27 +0000
Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> ha escrit:

> Hi all,
>
> Usage of the [hidden email] mailing list, set up in 2007 to
> provide help to new users, has dwindled to almost nothing. There were no
> posts in September, October, November, or December.
>
> Generally we now have better places to provide help to new users -
> principally http://help.openstreetmap.org/ , but also national forums
> and mailing lists. There is also more OSM documentation than was once
> the case.
>
> So that new users don't seek help in a little-used backwater, but
> instead go to a place where help is more likely to be found, I'm
> proposing (as list admin) to close the list to subscriptions and to
> posting. The list archives would be retained.
>
> If you have a compelling reason why the list should not be closed,
> please speak up now. You'll need to volunteer to be the admin though. ;)
>
> cheers
> Richard
>
> _______________________________________________
> newbies mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposal to close newbies@ list

Dave F.
On 12/01/2016 08:26, Xan wrote:
> The only reason about maintaining that is because, in my opinion, the help.openstreetmap.org answers are shorter than here in the mailing list. Here the newbies have very deep explanation of things and in help.OSM just a short message.

Those that help here will more than likely transfer to the other sites &
where they will give their long answers.

> But close if you are overwheelmed.

I believe being 'underwhelmed' is the reason for the proposal.

Dave F.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposal to close newbies@ list

Dorine Flies
I think there exists a presumption that "everyone" has access to the sites and portals mention, this presumption is not wholly accurate and additionally the ability to read and navigate online is a challenge still for many, where a direct question here would help to keep them engaged, rather than disengage for want of a simple way to find an answer.

I was particularly struck when I attended the London meetup at just how diverse the group was in age range, one lady while competent once taught, step by step the how to, I would argue would have found the web content a challenge, as with web content the presumption is that you know what you are looking for in the first place.

From my perspective what I see as the issue of being "underwhelm" here is more a case that no one is signposting newbies to the list at a localised level rather than that there is no need for it.


On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Dave F. <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/01/2016 08:26, Xan wrote:
The only reason about maintaining that is because, in my opinion, the help.openstreetmap.org answers are shorter than here in the mailing list. Here the newbies have very deep explanation of things and in help.OSM just a short message.

Those that help here will more than likely transfer to the other sites & where they will give their long answers.

But close if you are overwheelmed.

I believe being 'underwhelmed' is the reason for the proposal.

Dave F.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposal to close newbies@ list

Phil Monger
With respect, the notion that there's a group of people who can contribute to osm edits but can't click a url is a little far fetched. 
It's not 1999 anymore, the overwhelming majority of people using email are doing so from a Web interface anyway, and most newbies are doing edits in their browser. 

----
P

On 12 Jan 2016, at 12:01, Dorine Flies <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think there exists a presumption that "everyone" has access to the sites and portals mention, this presumption is not wholly accurate and additionally the ability to read and navigate online is a challenge still for many, where a direct question here would help to keep them engaged, rather than disengage for want of a simple way to find an answer.

I was particularly struck when I attended the London meetup at just how diverse the group was in age range, one lady while competent once taught, step by step the how to, I would argue would have found the web content a challenge, as with web content the presumption is that you know what you are looking for in the first place.

From my perspective what I see as the issue of being "underwhelm" here is more a case that no one is signposting newbies to the list at a localised level rather than that there is no need for it.


On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Dave F. <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/01/2016 08:26, Xan wrote:
The only reason about maintaining that is because, in my opinion, the help.openstreetmap.org answers are shorter than here in the mailing list. Here the newbies have very deep explanation of things and in help.OSM just a short message.

Those that help here will more than likely transfer to the other sites & where they will give their long answers.

But close if you are overwheelmed.

I believe being 'underwhelmed' is the reason for the proposal.

Dave F.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposal to close newbies@ list

Mathieu
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Richard Fairhurst
Hello,

I'm in favor of closing this list.

I've been using OSM for 5+ years now, and really happy with it.
I started contributing only recently, and I joined all the mailing
lists I could find at the time.
As a newbie I found that the documentation is quite scattered, so
maybe the last few posts on this list could be
a summary of the resource base for newbies.

Regards,

Abhijit
Bangalore, India





___________________________________________________
Machine à souder par points | Lampe de bureau avec loupe
Loading...