Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

Warin
Following the successful proposal of introducing office=diplomatic to
eventually replace the amenity=embassy (which is used to not only tag
embassies but other diplomatic service) I am proposing to add the
approved tag office=diplomatic to all instances that have both the tag
amenity=embassy with the tag country=*.

By only targeting features with both tag i hope to avoid those things
that have been incorrectly tagged amenity=embassy (I found 2 that look
to be brothels!).

Any thoughts?

----------------- references

Tag https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:office%3Ddiplomatic

Proposal for tag
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/office%3Ddiplomatic

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

ewmjc
Sounds logical given the new tagging. I find no faults with the
office=diplomatic page, kudos to Lyx for putting it together, very
thorough. Embassies are (or should be) a 100% subset of
office=diplomatic. I think you are wise in not suggesting mass addition
of  diplomatic=embassy, I also have come across instances in the past
where they are actually consulates. The only thing I can think of is
whether there are still any cases where the location is actually an
ambassadorial residence, (I am uncomfortable with having them there, my
wife is an ambassador) ... but I think the most sensible thing is to
deal with them on a case-by-case after putting in place this more
rigourous tagging schema.

Mike

On 18/06/19 19:51, Michael Collinson wrote:
> Sounds logical given the new tagging. I find no faults with the
> office=diplomatic page, kudos to Lyx for putting it together, very
> thorough. Embassies are (or should be) a 100% subset of
> office=diplomatic. I think you are wise in not suggesting mass
> addition of  diplomatic=embassy, I also have come across instances in
> the past where they are actually consulates.
The tag amenity=embassy was used for any diplomatic thing, some even
were commercial firms that assisted in obtaining visas.
> The only thing I can think of is whether there are still any cases
> where the location is actually an ambassadorial residence, (I am
> uncomfortable with having them there, my wife is an ambassador) ...
> but I think the most sensible thing is to deal with them on a
> case-by-case after putting in place this more rigourous tagging schema.

Yes, amenity=embassy includes some ambassadorial residences, and there
is some provision for ambassadorial residences in the new scheme.
I am not certain .. but an ambassadorial residence will have
entertainment functions that can mean its location may need to be known
by some map users.

Oh I forgot to mention the how I'm thinking of doing this,
Using JOSM one city at a time to get the features that have both
amenity=embassy and country=*
Check the names for anything specious and cast those aside (I might do
some work on those but unrelated to the addition directly).
Then add the tag office=diplomatic.

This will not get all of them - some are outside cities, some don't have
the country tag.
But it will get most of them. The rest should be done by locals,
possibly maproulette?

> Mike
>
> On 2019-06-18 03:21, Warin wrote:
>> Following the successful proposal of introducing office=diplomatic to
>> eventually replace the amenity=embassy (which is used to not only tag
>> embassies but other diplomatic service) I am proposing to add the
>> approved tag office=diplomatic to all instances that have both the
>> tag amenity=embassy with the tag country=*.
>>

>> By only targeting features with both tag i hope to avoid those things
>> that have been incorrectly tagged amenity=embassy (I found 2 that
>> look to be brothels!).
>>

>> Any thoughts?
>>

>> ----------------- references
>>
>> Tag https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:office%3Ddiplomatic
>>
>> Proposal for tag
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/office%3Ddiplomatic

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

> Il giorno 18 giu 2019, alle ore 13:06, Warin <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> I am not certain .. but an ambassadorial residence will have entertainment functions that can mean its location may need to be known by some map users.

in Rome I am aware of the residence of the German ambassador, it isn’t a secret. There are armed guards in front and there is a plate stating “embassy of Germany”, and they may be holding events there, but it isn’t the “embassy” you would usually go to as a German citizen (there is another embassy some kilometers away where the offices for the public are located).

Not sure if this is a typical situation or whether the location of some ambassadorial residences is secret.

Ciao, Martin

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

Mateusz Konieczny-3
18 Jun 2019, 03:21 by [hidden email]:
Any thoughts?
(for example - documenting mechanical edit on wiki)

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

Frederik Ramm

On 18.06.19 03:21, Warin wrote:
> Following the successful proposal of introducing office=diplomatic to
> eventually replace the amenity=embassy (which is used to not only tag
> embassies but other diplomatic service) I am proposing to add the
> approved tag office=diplomatic to all instances that have both the tag
> amenity=embassy with the tag country=*.

I don't think that this is necessary or helpful. When office=diplomatic
was "approved", we did not discuss a mass addition to existing features.
This is something that time can solve, we don't need an automatic edit
for it.

Bye
Frederik

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

Joseph Eisenberg
I've spent several hours creating wiki pages for the new, approved
tags from this proposal, so I'm in favor of the tags, even
office=diplomatic (which doesn't seem much of an improvement, compared
to the others).

But I'm not convinced that adding the office=diplomatic tag to
existing features is very helpful. It would be more useful to add
diplomatic=embassy/consulate/liaison and the additional subtags to
show the precise type of embassy or consulate or other diplomatic
facility, but this probably requires local survey or at least
extensive searching of web pages for every feature.

On 6/19/19, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 18.06.19 03:21, Warin wrote:
>> Following the successful proposal of introducing office=diplomatic to
>> eventually replace the amenity=embassy (which is used to not only tag
>> embassies but other diplomatic service) I am proposing to add the
>> approved tag office=diplomatic to all instances that have both the tag
>> amenity=embassy with the tag country=*.
>
> I don't think that this is necessary or helpful. When office=diplomatic
> was "approved", we did not discuss a mass addition to existing features.
> This is something that time can solve, we don't need an automatic edit
> for it.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

Warin
The need for a replacement of amenity=embassy was explained in the approved office=diplomatic proposal.

By doing a mechanical edit the work load of mappers is reduced, I would think 50%, and the adoption of the new tag promoted by its evident use.

I missed that office=diplomatic was required with diplomatic=* edits I did some time ago. I think others have done the same.

The use of diplomatic=* has outstripped office=diplomatic even ignoring the starting offset due to previous use before the accepted proposal.

The tagging of diplomatic=* at the moment has little motivation as it is not rendered by many.
Most use the one rendering symbol for all of them.
Determining 'embassy' could be done to some extent by location, in a countries capitol city, and by the name containing 'embassy'.
Determining 'consulate' could be done in a similar manner - outside the capitol city and containing 'consulate'.
There will be exceptions! For these reasons I am not advocating it.
I am reluctant to suggest the mechanical addition of office=diplomatic to diplomatic=* due to the past use of the tag and the more numerous amenity=embassy which was the original motivation for the accepted proposal.