Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in USA

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in USA

Mateusz Konieczny-3
Old style wikipedia link is one where language is stored in key, not in value.

For example "wikipedia:en=Kansas" is an old style link, while "wikipedia=en:Kansas"
is a form that is currently standard.

Many old-style Wikipedia links remain and updating them to new style manually is
boring, tedious and some mistakes may appear during this.

Some OSM elements have old-style Wikipedia link without new tag what means that this data
is harder to process for editors and data consumers.

Also, remaining old-style Wikipedia tags confuse mappers, especially less experienced.

Therefore I propose to run an automatic edit that will replace old-style Wikipedia links
with current style of Wikipedia links.

Please comment no matter what you think about this idea! I will not make the edit without a clear
support so please comment if you think that it is a good idea and if you think that it should not be done.

Plan is as follows:

I will take full responsibility for all edits and if anything goes wrong I will fix it.

Editing is limited to objects with old-style Wikipedia tags is not conflicting with existing wikipedia=*
or wikidata=* tag or other old-style wikipedia tags.

Links detected as invalid (leading to disambigs, articles about humans, animals, plants, events etc)
are also skipped

Each changeset contains a single element or group of close elements to avoid edits spanning
across large areas (it is impossible in cases where edited object itself spans very large area)

After every changeset bot sleeps for one minute.

This is proposed as reoccurring edit and may be made as soon as new old-style wikipedia links appear.


I have experience with automatic edits. exactly the same task was run in Poland to remove
more than 6000 old-style Wikipedia links what was completed without any issues.

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in USA

Bryan Housel-2
Replacing the deprecated `wikipedia:en` tags with newer `wikipedia` tags sounds like a great idea.  As mentioned on Slack, I agree that if you can add `wikidata` tags at the same time, even better.

Thank you for your work on this!
Bryan



On Feb 26, 2019, at 7:51 AM, Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:

Old style wikipedia link is one where language is stored in key, not in value.

For example "wikipedia:en=Kansas" is an old style link, while "wikipedia=en:Kansas"
is a form that is currently standard.

Many old-style Wikipedia links remain and updating them to new style manually is
boring, tedious and some mistakes may appear during this.

Some OSM elements have old-style Wikipedia link without new tag what means that this data
is harder to process for editors and data consumers.

Also, remaining old-style Wikipedia tags confuse mappers, especially less experienced.

Therefore I propose to run an automatic edit that will replace old-style Wikipedia links
with current style of Wikipedia links.

Please comment no matter what you think about this idea! I will not make the edit without a clear
support so please comment if you think that it is a good idea and if you think that it should not be done.

Plan is as follows:

I will take full responsibility for all edits and if anything goes wrong I will fix it.

Editing is limited to objects with old-style Wikipedia tags is not conflicting with existing wikipedia=*
or wikidata=* tag or other old-style wikipedia tags.

Links detected as invalid (leading to disambigs, articles about humans, animals, plants, events etc)
are also skipped

Each changeset contains a single element or group of close elements to avoid edits spanning
across large areas (it is impossible in cases where edited object itself spans very large area)

After every changeset bot sleeps for one minute.

This is proposed as reoccurring edit and may be made as soon as new old-style wikipedia links appear.


I have experience with automatic edits. exactly the same task was run in Poland to remove
more than 6000 old-style Wikipedia links what was completed without any issues.
_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in USA

Yuri Astrakhan-2
Agree with Bryan.  :)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 9:43 AM Bryan Housel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Replacing the deprecated `wikipedia:en` tags with newer `wikipedia` tags sounds like a great idea.  As mentioned on Slack, I agree that if you can add `wikidata` tags at the same time, even better.

Thank you for your work on this!
Bryan



On Feb 26, 2019, at 7:51 AM, Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:

Old style wikipedia link is one where language is stored in key, not in value.

For example "wikipedia:en=Kansas" is an old style link, while "wikipedia=en:Kansas"
is a form that is currently standard.

Many old-style Wikipedia links remain and updating them to new style manually is
boring, tedious and some mistakes may appear during this.

Some OSM elements have old-style Wikipedia link without new tag what means that this data
is harder to process for editors and data consumers.

Also, remaining old-style Wikipedia tags confuse mappers, especially less experienced.

Therefore I propose to run an automatic edit that will replace old-style Wikipedia links
with current style of Wikipedia links.

Please comment no matter what you think about this idea! I will not make the edit without a clear
support so please comment if you think that it is a good idea and if you think that it should not be done.

Plan is as follows:

I will take full responsibility for all edits and if anything goes wrong I will fix it.

Editing is limited to objects with old-style Wikipedia tags is not conflicting with existing wikipedia=*
or wikidata=* tag or other old-style wikipedia tags.

Links detected as invalid (leading to disambigs, articles about humans, animals, plants, events etc)
are also skipped

Each changeset contains a single element or group of close elements to avoid edits spanning
across large areas (it is impossible in cases where edited object itself spans very large area)

After every changeset bot sleeps for one minute.

This is proposed as reoccurring edit and may be made as soon as new old-style wikipedia links appear.


I have experience with automatic edits. exactly the same task was run in Poland to remove
more than 6000 old-style Wikipedia links what was completed without any issues.
_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in USA

stevea
In reply to this post by Mateusz Konieczny-3
I'm OK with this as well.  I especially wish to call to the attention to others who may do mechanical wiki edits like this (by Mateusz' good example) that he was careful to:

1)  Explain the problem; it confuses mappers/map consumers and wiki authors/readers,
2)  Offer a polite proposal as well as taking ownership for any potential problems with it,
3)  Have wiki-oriented documentation of this (and here is the link),
4)  Say that this was done on a "smaller" (though still countrywide!) scale, and it worked.

Outstanding!  Thank you, Mateusz for your example of wiki, talk page and community communication.  OSM has every reason to support such excellent suggestions/proposals.

SteveA
California


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in USA

Kevin Kenny-3
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 4:05 PM OSM Volunteer stevea
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm OK with this as well.  I especially wish to call to the attention to others who may do mechanical wiki edits like this (by Mateusz' good example) that he was careful to:
>
> 1)  Explain the problem; it confuses mappers/map consumers and wiki authors/readers,
> 2)  Offer a polite proposal as well as taking ownership for any potential problems with it,
> 3)  Have wiki-oriented documentation of this (and here is the link),
> 4)  Say that this was done on a "smaller" (though still countrywide!) scale, and it worked.
>
> Outstanding!  Thank you, Mateusz for your example of wiki, talk page and community communication.  OSM has every reason to support such excellent suggestions/proposals.


I'll echo Steve.  It's a sound idea, it's well explained, it's well
documented, it's well executed on a pilot scale, and there's a
convincing plan for scaling it to the full planet without choking the
servers. Let's make it happen!

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us