Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Mateusz Konieczny-3
osmarender:nameDirection=* is an old tag that is case of tagging for the renderer.
Additionally, Osmarender is defunct anyway.

I propose to purge this tag from database as useless, confusing and encouraging
tagging for renderer.

This edit would remove about 2000 osmarender:nameDirection=* tags worldwide,
with most of them in Germany and England.

osmarender:nameDirection is described on OSM Wiki as

"By default Osmarender will draw street names left-to-right along ways.
It uses the longitude (horizontal position) of the start and end points of the
way to determine the direction.

In some cases, for example, very winding roads, the automatically chosen
name direction is not ideal. In this case the way can be tagged with
osmarender:nameDirection=-1 or osmarender:nameDirection=1 as a
hint to tell Osmarender which way to draw the name. "

Automated edit page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny_-_bot_account/elimination_of_osmarender:nameDirection_-_blatant_tagging_for_the_renderer

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

SimonPoole

Why would we want to create new versions of objects just to remove a tag that is not hurting anybody in any way?

The correct way to handle this is to add the tag to the list of deprecated tags that should be automatically removed (essentially iD has a list and JOSM has one too), when and if the objects are ever edited the tags will then be removed.

Simon

Am 15.03.2019 um 20:16 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny:
[...]

Because it is especially broken and confusing - and promotes tagging for renderer.

"not hurting anybody in any way" is quite strong claim that I think is false.

It is not a big problem but every time someone encounters it for the first time
either has one more thing on "confusing things about OSM" or wastes time
on checking what is this thing.

And "create new versions of object" is extremely minor cost.

"The correct way to handle this is to" - I would say that it is a matter of opinion what is preferred.

Personally I consider one more entry in history to be vastly less confusing and irritating
than a directly visible tag that should not be present.

Mar 15, 2019, 9:13 PM by [hidden email]:

[...]

dieterdreist

Am Fr., 15. März 2019 um 21:27 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]>:
Because it is especially broken and confusing - and promotes tagging for renderer.

this is not a case of "tagging for the renderer" as it is usually referred to (using a tag differently from what it was intended to obtain a certain result in rendering).

By the way, there once was a "osmarender"-subtag for curved roads (should the way be "bezier-treated"), which sounded like a rendering hint, but actually could be seen as descriptive data (stating whether the way geometry is approximating a curve or is actually "stepped"). Looks as if it has been completely "cleaned up".

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Michael Kugelmann
Am 15.03.2019 um 21:13 schrieb Simon Poole:

> Why would we want to create new versions of objects just to remove a
> tag that is not hurting anybody in any way?

Clean Up ?

If we don't clean up from time to time we will over time collect a lot
of trash which is "not usefull" at all.

Just my 2 cents,
Michael.

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

General Discussion mailing list
Mateusz
There's also a few osmarender:renderName in the UK. Maybe check osmarender:* to collate all?

Simon
Never comprehended the reluctance to remove dead items. Does stepping the version /really/ cause any harm?
Contributors, especially newbies, often copy tags from existing examples with redundant tags often propagating as result.

We allow everybody to add data (which I agree with), but there's an increasing resistance to anybody suggesting tag removal.

If it improves database quality, then go for it.

DaveF

On 15/03/2019 20:13, Simon Poole wrote:
[...]

Andrew Hain
Is it worth mechanically removing any of the existing discardable tags from the database as well?

--
Andrew

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

General Discussion mailing list
I'd say almost certainly, yes. Do you have any specific tags in mind?

DaveF

On 17/03/2019 21:27, Andrew Hain wrote:

> Is it worth mechanically removing any of the existing discardable tags from the database as well?
>
> --
> Andrew
> ________________________________

Tordanik
On 15.03.19 21:13, Simon Poole wrote:
> Why would we want to create new versions of objects just to remove a tag
> that is not hurting anybody in any way?

Mostly for the reason which Mateusz has mentioned in his response:
Keeping obsolete tagging around for years or decades adds to the burden
of concepts that new community members need to learn to fully understand
our data.

But additionally, I would argue that removing them all at once actually
results in a cleaner history than automatic removal by editors. It seems
to me that performing these edits in one clearly labelled changeset fits
our best practices – grouping related edits into a changeset and using
meaningful changeset comments – much better than mixing them into
completely unrelated changes would.

Am 17.03.2019 um 22:09 schrieb Dave F:
Mateusz
There's also a few osmarender:renderName in the UK. Maybe check osmarender:* to collate all?

Simon
Never comprehended the reluctance to remove dead items. Does stepping the version /really/ cause any harm?
Contributors, especially newbies, often copy tags from existing examples with redundant tags often propagating as result.

Nobody is advocating -not- removing such tags, just opposing edits just for that.

While there's a certain amount of unnecessary database bloat caused by creating a new version, the real objection is that these tags tend to survive in areas with low maintenance, aka low amounts of gardening. Producing false updates (aka no real content) just obscures that fact and makes it more difficult to determine which areas need to be revisted.

Naturally this applies not just to tag removal for the sake of tag removal, it applies to all nonsense updates (adding default values to objects and similar that is so popular now days).

We allow everybody to add data (which I agree with), but there's an increasing resistance to anybody suggesting tag removal.

The other way around you mean.

Simon

[...]

Mar 23, 2019, 9:59 AM by [hidden email]:

While there's a certain amount of unnecessary database bloat caused by creating a new version, the real objection is that these tags tend to survive in areas with low maintenance, aka low amounts of gardening. Producing false updates (aka no real content) just obscures that fact and makes it more difficult to determine which areas need to be revisted.

It seems to me as not a real problem. There are many, many different indicators of such places
and automatic edits are suitable to remove only very small part of them.

I am pretty sure that after making all possible automatic edits it would be still easy to locate
such abandoned regions and human editing time could be used for things more useful than
manual removal of pointless tag polluting tag lists.

(depending on location one may prefer different reports)

We have 800+ objects with source="Google Maps" (yes, it is on my todo  list, yes I notified
DWG long time ago).

The bottleneck is not "we will run out of things to fix" or "we will run out of easy to find places
to repair", the bottleneck is time of mappers.

TIGER mess alone in USA is enough for decades or years of remapping, HOT low quality
mapping in Africa or Haiti has massive amount of easy to find fixable data,
there are millions of instances of tags that has no reason to be present.

I see no point in wasting my time during normal editing on manual tag removal of keys
or tags that never, ever can be worth keeping and I would prefer to do it automatically.

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Andy Townsend

On 3/23/19 11:46 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

Mar 23, 2019, 9:59 AM by [hidden email]:

...  Producing false updates (aka no real content) just obscures that fact and makes it more difficult to determine which areas need to be revisted.

It seems to me as not a real problem. There are many, many different indicators of such places
and automatic edits are suitable to remove only very small part of them.

It's a real problem, for a couple of reasons - one is that "this object might be out of date" warnings in e.g. Vespucci won't trigger, and the other is that by definition automated edits don't look to see if the object being edited was sensible.  "Not sensible"might mean "a shop in the middle of the sea", "a peak at the bottom of a quarry" or "an unfeasible park added for Pokemon purposes" (perhaps one that covers an obviously residential area).

With a DWG hat on it falls to me more than most to remove unfeasible data, and that's much harder to do if someone has been "correcting" it in the mean time.

In the specific case of "osmarender:nameDirection" using "natural wastage" by deleting when next edited sounds a better way to do it.  In the case of _actually misleading data_ (like the results of a crap import) then undoing the crap import obviously does make sense, and the "post offices in the desert" in the US surely falls into that category.  Whether it's better to undo via revert, something like Maproulette or something like Streetcomplete will depend on the nature of the individual problem.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Mateusz Konieczny-3

Mar 23, 2019, 1:04 PM by [hidden email]:

On 3/23/19 11:46 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

Mar 23, 2019, 9:59 AM by [hidden email]:

...  Producing false updates (aka no real content) just obscures that fact and makes it more difficult to determine which areas need to be revisted.

It seems to me as not a real problem. There are many, many different indicators of such places
and automatic edits are suitable to remove only very small part of them.

It's a real problem, for a couple of reasons - one is that "this object might be out of date" warnings in e.g. Vespucci won't trigger

Is it really a problem? It is only heuristic and there was no place where I ever mapped that
I had problem because I run out of obvious indicators that something needs to be fixed, resurveyed
or remapped.
and the other is that by definition automated edits don't look to see if the object being edited was sensible.  "Not sensible"might mean "a shop in the middle of the sea", "a peak at the bottom of a quarry" or "an unfeasible park added for Pokemon purposes" (perhaps one that covers an obviously residential area).
All that things can be easily found - again, there are endless queues of blatantly obvious
mistaggings. And all mentioned examples would be trivial to automatically detect (I would even
add detecting this problems to standard tools if running out of things to fix would be
problem in any region).

With a DWG hat on it falls to me more than most to remove unfeasible data, and that's much harder to do if someone has been "correcting" it in the mean time.

OK, that is something that I understand. Making reverts more complicated is separate topic
where I agree that edits like this may make things harder.

In the specific case of "osmarender:nameDirection" using "natural wastage" by deleting when next edited sounds a better way to do it.

I opened https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17512 (if it will pass I will open equivalents
for iD and Vespucci).

For me it works as well, if human mappers will not see this tag ever again it works almost as well
for me and fixes the biggest problem.

Am 23.03.2019 um 13:28 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny:

Mar 23, 2019, 1:04 PM by [hidden email]:

On 3/23/19 11:46 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

Mar 23, 2019, 9:59 AM by [hidden email]:

...  Producing false updates (aka no real content) just obscures that fact and makes it more difficult to determine which areas need to be revisted.

It seems to me as not a real problem. There are many, many different indicators of such places
and automatic edits are suitable to remove only very small part of them.

It's a real problem, for a couple of reasons - one is that "this object might be out of date" warnings in e.g. Vespucci won't trigger

Is it really a problem? It is only heuristic and there was no place where I ever mapped that
I had problem because I run out of obvious indicators that something needs to be fixed, resurveyed
or remapped.

Time since last edit is the only -non- heuristic measure of staleness in OSM. There are other ways to determine this, but they are are an order of magnitude more involved (essentially you need to retrieve prior versions and start comparing tags and geometries). And I wasn't even thinking specifically of Vespucci in this case (in principle for Vespucci it could be worked around by setting a fake survey_date in a mass edit).

And to repeat, I'm not against removing tags when they are really an issue. For example last year we removed note tags from the locations of the major car sharing operation in Switzerland, roughly a 1'000 objects, because they indicated that the objects shouldn't be edited (originally they were imported), but there is no need to do so just for superficial aesthetic reasons, just as other normalisation for the sake of normalisation is contra productive in an OSM context.

I opened https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17512 (if it will pass I will open equivalents
for iD and Vespucci).

You don't need to do anything separate for Vespucci, simply make a PR against https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/data/discarded.json

Simon

Re: mechanical edits was:Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Mateusz Konieczny-3
Mar 23, 2019, 6:17 PM by [hidden email]:

[...]

It is still heuristic. It is unable to distinguish between "it was all mapped 2 days ago" and
"someone reverted vandalism two days ago" or "offset in area mapped from Bing was adjusted
to known correct one".

And anyway, any area that I encountered had more objects reported as worth resurveying than it
was feasible to resurvey.

And to repeat, I'm not against removing tags when they are really an issue. For example last year we removed note tags from the locations of the major car sharing operation in Switzerland, roughly a 1'000 objects, because they indicated that the objects shouldn't be edited (originally they were imported),

I fully agree here.
but there is no need to do so just for superficial aesthetic reasons, just as other normalisation for the sake of normalisation is contra productive in an OSM context.
That is probably root of our disagreement.

I consider edit changing

area=yes
massgis:IT_VALC=WS3
massgis:IT_VALDESC=WOODED SWAMP MIXED TREES
massgis:OBJECTID=62053
massgis:PALIS_ID=0
massgis:POLY_CODE=3
massgis:SOURCE=DEP-WCP
massgis:SOURCE_SCA=12000
massgis:WETCODE=16
natural=wetland
source=DEP Wetlands (1:12,000) - April 2007 (http://www.mass.gov/mgis/wetdep.htm)
wetland=swamp

natural=wetland
massgis:OBJECTID=62053
massgis:IT_VALDESC=WOODED SWAMP MIXED TREES
source=DEP Wetlands (1:12,000) - April 2007 (http://www.mass.gov/mgis/wetdep.htm)
wetland=swamp

as valuable, helpful and useful cleanup of a bungled import
(massgis:OBJECTID, massgis:IT_VALDESC may be also worth removing
but I would not do it blindly).

Or changing FIXME=whatever to fixme=whatever.

I opened https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17512 (if it will pass I will open equivalents
for iD and Vespucci).

You don't need to do anything separate for Vespucci, simply make a PR against https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/data/discarded.json

Yes, I planned to open PR (like I did with iD in https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/pull/6091 )
and I had already bookmarked that file.

If adding tags to list of discardable tags is preferred over mechanical edits I will start doing this,
main goal of reducing pollution in lists of displayed tags is also achieved this way.

I thought that mechanical edits would be preferable as it allows people to use this tag
(mechanical edit will not block future additions, one can op-out from it etc) while
discardable tags are much stronger effect.

But if for some reasons (even if I disagree with them) using discardable tags is preferred
I will happily use it.

Opening issue for JOSM and making trivial PRs for Vespucci and iD is much, much easier
than running a mechanical edit and prevents people from adding tag in future, so I will switch
to this method for future proposals to eliminate utterly pointless tags.

Re: mechanical edits was:Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Mateusz Konieczny-3

Mar 23, 2019, 7:09 PM by [hidden email]:
Mar 23, 2019, 6:17 PM by [hidden email]:

Am 23.03.2019 um 13:28 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny:
I opened https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17512 (if it will pass I will open equivalents
for iD and Vespucci).

You don't need to do anything separate for Vespucci, simply make a PR against https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/data/discarded.json

Yes, I planned to open PR (like I did with iD in https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/pull/6091 )
and I had already bookmarked that file.
Ops, sorry. Now I see what happened here - so list of discardable tags in Vespucci
is copied from iD? It makes my life even easier, thanks for the information I completely
missed that Vespucci replicates that part of iD.