Proposed removal of rendering support for natural=marsh in Openstreetmap-carto style

Proposed removal of rendering support for natural=marsh in Openstreetmap-carto style

Joseph Eisenberg
I've proposed removing the rendering of natural=marsh in
Openstreetmap-carto, the rendering stylesheet used for the "standard"
map layer on openstreetmap.org

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3829

The common tagging for a marsh is natural=wetland + wetland=marsh as
with other types of wetland.

According to the wiki, natural=marsh has not been recommended at least
since January 2009:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:natural%3Dmarsh&oldid=217946;
and since 2016 the page has specified that this tag is deprecated:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Anatural%3Dmarsh

Since 2009, wetland=marsh has shown steadily increasing usage. It is
now used 130,000 times, compared to less than 10k remaining uses of
natural=marsh.

Please comment at github if there are any objections to this change or
other comments:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3829

Re: Proposed removal of rendering support for natural=marsh in Openstreetmap-carto style

Joseph Eisenberg
This change has now been made:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3829

When the next release happens, probably in the next month,
natural=marsh will no longer be rendered in the Openstreetmap-carto
style, used on the "Standard" layer for openstreetmap.org.

This feature has been listed as deprecated for several years, with the
recommended replacement being  natural=wetland + wetland=marsh

Most features with this tag have not been reviewed for several years;
check if there are any in your local area which need updating.

- Joseph