PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

Rahkonen Jukka
Hi,

Somebody might get interested in having a look at the business idea of
PublicEarth and their Terms of Use. I feel they won't get very many
places from me.
http://publicearth.com/
http://publicearth.com/terms

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Liz

Re: PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

Liz
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Somebody might get interested in having a look at the business idea of
> PublicEarth and their Terms of Use. I feel they won't get very many
> places from me.
> http://publicearth.com/
> http://publicearth.com/terms
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

My look at their business and how it differs from ours is "prettiness" and a
facebook link.
We have not made anything to charm the facebook generation, preferring people
with thinking powers and a geeky outlook on life.

My cynicism is of course related to having spent the last week on real world
politics, including lobbying politicians and the superficial nature of the
"what will I do this weekend?" on the frontpage is grating.

Re: PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

Tim Waters (chippy)
2009/11/18 Jukka Rahkonen <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> Somebody might get interested in having a look at the business idea of
> PublicEarth and their Terms of Use. I feel they won't get very many
> places from me.
> http://publicearth.com/
> http://publicearth.com/terms

Then there's the nice issue of making a database from users
identifying locations based on Google Maps.

Re: PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

Tim Waters wrote:
> Then there's the nice issue of making a database from users
> identifying locations based on Google Maps.

You mean that issue nobody except OSM seems to care about ;-)

If they'd be using OSM, would they have to CC-BY-SA all their data? [Is
that why the aren't?]

I don't think the business will fly but it's worth a try. It's one of
these things that I'd never attempt because I'd think it is so obvious
how I'm trying to siphon off community knowledge and not let the
community use that knowledge - but quite a few businesses thrive on that
and I can literally hear armies of PublicEarth fanboys cry out "how cool
is that!". Bet they have some kind of iPhone app to go along with it.

Bye
Frederik

Re: PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

Stefan Baebler
Also interesting to note is that their current (initial?) data set
contains POIs that were seemingly contributed by random (english
sounding) user names. Even in non-english speaking countries most
(all?) contributors have english names. Descriptions are of course in
perfect local (non english) language. In a town with 20 POIs they are
contributed by 18 diferent people, which makes a very low average for
someone getting over the burden of registering to contribute.

Seems to me that they are using crowd sourcing public as a facade to
do their data laundry.

Stefan

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tim Waters wrote:
>> Then there's the nice issue of making a database from users
>> identifying locations based on Google Maps.
>
> You mean that issue nobody except OSM seems to care about ;-)
>
> If they'd be using OSM, would they have to CC-BY-SA all their data? [Is
> that why the aren't?]
>
> I don't think the business will fly but it's worth a try. It's one of
> these things that I'd never attempt because I'd think it is so obvious
> how I'm trying to siphon off community knowledge and not let the
> community use that knowledge - but quite a few businesses thrive on that
> and I can literally hear armies of PublicEarth fanboys cry out "how cool
> is that!". Bet they have some kind of iPhone app to go along with it.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Re: PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

Barnett, Phillip
They are using OSM data.

If you look at Cambridge, UK, for instance, you'll see the entry for Kettles Yard and The Junction have both been credited to OSM.

PHILLIP BARNETT
SERVER MANAGER

200 GRAY'S INN ROAD
LONDON
WC1X 8XZ
UNITED KINGDOM
T +44 (0)20 7430 4474
E [hidden email]
http://WWW.ITN.CO.UK
P  Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?
> Then there's the nice issue of making a database from users
> identifying locations based on Google Maps.

You mean that issue nobody except OSM seems to care about ;-)

If they'd be using OSM, would they have to CC-BY-SA all their data? [Is
that why the aren't?]

I don't think the business will fly but it's worth a try. It's one of
these things that I'd never attempt because I'd think it is so obvious
how I'm trying to siphon off community knowledge and not let the
community use that knowledge - but quite a few businesses thrive on that
and I can literally hear armies of PublicEarth fanboys cry out "how cool
is that!". Bet they have some kind of iPhone app to go along with it.

Bye
Frederik

Please Note:

or entity to which they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error, please notify [hidden email]

Thank You.

Re: PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

Barnett, Phillip
Link here, sorry

http://publicearth.com/places/arts-and-cultural-centers/kettles-yard-gallery

PHILLIP BARNETT
SERVER MANAGER

200 GRAY'S INN ROAD
LONDON
WC1X 8XZ
UNITED KINGDOM
T +44 (0)20 7430 4474
E [hidden email]
http://WWW.ITN.CO.UK
P  Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?
If you look at Cambridge, UK, for instance, you'll see the entry for Kettles Yard and The Junction have both been credited to OSM.

> Then there's the nice issue of making a database from users
> identifying locations based on Google Maps.

You mean that issue nobody except OSM seems to care about ;-)

If they'd be using OSM, would they have to CC-BY-SA all their data? [Is
that why the aren't?]

I don't think the business will fly but it's worth a try. It's one of
these things that I'd never attempt because I'd think it is so obvious
how I'm trying to siphon off community knowledge and not let the
community use that knowledge - but quite a few businesses thrive on that
and I can literally hear armies of PublicEarth fanboys cry out "how cool
is that!". Bet they have some kind of iPhone app to go along with it.

Bye
Frederik

Please Note:

or entity to which they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error, please notify [hidden email]

Thank You.

Re: PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

mvexel
I wonder if Google is going to change their terms of use now they are
shedding their major map data providers[1][2]. Being liberated from
their terms of use – for now, in the US only – Google is free to
conjure up any terms of use for their map data they like. Their
'Google Maps/Earth Terms of Service' still prohibit Google Maps users
from creating any derivative work[3] - which a project such as
PublicEarth certainly seems to be trying to do. In that way they are
in much the same kind of trouble as GeoNames[4]. They seem not to care
too much themselves though[5].

[1] http://blumenthals.com/blog/2008/09/19/google-maps-now-using-teleatlas-data-exclusively/
[2] http://blumenthals.com/blog/2009/10/12/google-replaces-tele-atlas-data-in-us-with-google-data/
[3] http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/help/terms_maps.html - see 2(b)
[4] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geonames
[5] http://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/262.page

martijn van exel
http://schaaltreinen.nl/
twitter / skype: mvexel
flickr: rhodes

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tim Waters wrote:
> > Then there's the nice issue of making a database from users
> > identifying locations based on Google Maps.
>
> You mean that issue nobody except OSM seems to care about ;-)
>
> If they'd be using OSM, would they have to CC-BY-SA all their data? [Is
> that why the aren't?]
>
> I don't think the business will fly but it's worth a try. It's one of
> these things that I'd never attempt because I'd think it is so obvious
> how I'm trying to siphon off community knowledge and not let the
> community use that knowledge - but quite a few businesses thrive on that
> and I can literally hear armies of PublicEarth fanboys cry out "how cool
> is that!". Bet they have some kind of iPhone app to go along with it.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Re: PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

Stefan Baebler
http://publicearth.com/places/ice-rinks/olimpija-ljubljana
On this small map the POI was created by "WilliemBlaeu"

While on the big (main) map there are 2 POIs, created by "JohnSpeed"
and "JohnMelish" and the names change randomly with each reload!
Try http://publicearth.com/explore/2c508cb2-c99f-11de-8c6b-00163e75a173?swx=14.445133209228514&swy=46.007335618361644&nex=14.566669464111328&ney=46.09978087997012
(no easy way to find a permalink, but this seems to provide al teast
consistent list on the left)
Or you can just browse POIs in Ljubljana, Slovenia.

Stefan