Question Regarding multiple alt_names

Nemanja Bračko
Hi all,

Can anyone help us, what we should do in the situation when we have
more then one alt_name?
Imagine the situation:
RD_NAME1: New York Street
RD_NAME2: Big Apple Street
RD_NAME3: US Highway

This is not a problem, let's say NY Street is name, US Highway is
alt_name (which is part of wider area, but without relation), and Big
Apple Street can be Local name. What if you have one extra or two
extra names? How do you want to map it?

Please advice,
Nemanja

Re: Question Regarding multiple alt_names

Martijn van Exel-3
Hi Nemanja,
You can use semicolons if there are multiple alternate names, like alt_name=Big Apple Street;Highway 666.
Folks used to use name_1, name_2 but this seems to be generally discouraged now.
There is also loc_name but the use of that has always been a bit unclear to me, since local (posted) information should always be considered before anything else.
For numbered highways you can also use the ref / network tag, especially if ‘Highway 666’ is not the posted name.
Wiki pages that are relevant:
I don’t know if there’s any local conventions that would trump this general rule — I am not familiar with that, since I am not in / from Australia. Just trying to help :)
Martijn

On Nov 20, 2018, at 10:20 AM, Nemanja Bračko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone help us, what we should do in the situation when we have
more then one alt_name?
Imagine the situation:
RD_NAME1: New York Street
RD_NAME2: Big Apple Street
RD_NAME3: US Highway

This is not a problem, let's say NY Street is name, US Highway is
alt_name (which is part of wider area, but without relation), and Big
Apple Street can be Local name. What if you have one extra or two
extra names? How do you want to map it?

Please advice,
Nemanja

Re: Question Regarding multiple alt_names

Andrew Harvey-3
Do you have an Australian example?

Highway name where the road segment has a different name I would create the relation and put it there. local_name is good for a local or informal or colloquial name.

On Wed., 21 Nov. 2018, 4:22 am Nemanja Bračko <[hidden email] wrote:
Hi all,

Can anyone help us, what we should do in the situation when we have
more then one alt_name?
Imagine the situation:
RD_NAME1: New York Street
RD_NAME2: Big Apple Street
RD_NAME3: US Highway

This is not a problem, let's say NY Street is name, US Highway is
alt_name (which is part of wider area, but without relation), and Big
Apple Street can be Local name. What if you have one extra or two
extra names? How do you want to map it?

Please advice,
Nemanja

Re: Question Regarding multiple alt_names

Alex Sims

I have an example that has bothering me for some time.

This building https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/228033047 is on a dual named street. The ten or so houses on the Southern side of so called “Elderslie Avenue” East of Braund Road  are actually Martin Close. Every other house on “Elderslie Avenue” is legally and survey wise on “Elderslie Avenue”.

I’ve surveyed it and there are extra street signs and some houses have a street name as well as a number on the outside. I looked at historical land titles records and it gives no answer as to how this came about. There were some street re-namings in the area to split streets at Prospect Road but nothing that shed’s any light on the history, but that’s another question.

I obviously need to split the way into the normal section and the dual named section, but how do I express this with one name on the South and one on the North?

Alex

Re: Question Regarding multiple alt_names

Graeme Fitzpatrick
Here you go Andrew

The main road shown here is the Gold Coast Hwy & has major signs saying so (& once upon a time was Highway 1!). The East-West section is Brisbane Rd (with street level signs saying so & addresses as xx Brisbane Rd).

Where it turns the corner, it then becomes Frank St (yy Frank St)

A k or 2 further South, it then becomes Marine Pde!

Thanks

Graeme