Question on deployment to iMac

Antonio Mercado
Regards,

I am a new user of Udig and find myself wondering if I am able to use this tool on an iMac, running Snow Leopard, on an Intel Core i7 processor.  It appears to work, but want to make sure I am not about to find some issues later on.

Also, the installer leaves the entire package in my download directory.  Normally I would simply move the Udig.app file to an appropriate directory, but I'm not sure if that is all I will need.

Any info out there on this topic?  If not, I'll be glad to document my findings.

Cheers!
--Tony M

Re: Question on deployment to iMac

Jody Garnett-2
Hi Antonio:

I have recently started developing on a mac; so you are in good
company. Sounds like you have a nice computer; I use Snow Leopard
myself.

As for installing - in general there is a zip file for the informal
releases; unzip into the location you want; I am afraid the uDig.app
does not contain all the files required for it to run:
- http://udig.refractions.net/files/downloads/branches/udig-1.2-RC4.macosx.cocoa.x86.zip
 (unstable example)

Recently a volunteer Cliff has also produced a mac "dmg" and he would
love some feedback:
- http://udig.refractions.net/files/downloads/branches/udig-1.2-RC4.macosx.cocoa.x86.dmg
(unstable example)

If you have any knowledge of mac installers we would of course gladly
accept assistance.

Jody

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Antonio Mercado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Regards,
>
> I am a new user of Udig and find myself wondering if I am able to use this tool on an iMac, running Snow Leopard, on an Intel Core i7 processor.  It appears to work, but want to make sure I am not about to find some issues later on.
>
> Also, the installer leaves the entire package in my download directory.  Normally I would simply move the Udig.app file to an appropriate directory, but I'm not sure if that is all I will need.
>
> Any info out there on this topic?  If not, I'll be glad to document my findings.
>
> Cheers!
> --Tony M

Re: Question on deployment to iMac

Antonio Mercado
Alas Jody,

I am about to lose the iMac for a Mac Mini; the iMac is going to our graphics designer...

I am actually new to the Snow Leopard world as well, though I am forced to get up to speed very quickly...  I'll take a look at the installers and provide some feedback during this week.  As I delve into the Snow Leopard Server and Snow Leopard world, I'll figure out the internals of the installers as well.  If someone beats me to it, so be it, but I'll give it a try.

Regarding Udig and its use:  are there any other "User Guides" and/or "How-To's" out there?  I'm digging (no pun intended), but can always use more help.

Cheers!
--Tony M

On Jul 6, 2010, at 5:39 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> Hi Antonio:
>
> I have recently started developing on a mac; so you are in good
> company. Sounds like you have a nice computer; I use Snow Leopard
> myself.
>
> As for installing - in general there is a zip file for the informal
> releases; unzip into the location you want; I am afraid the uDig.app
> does not contain all the files required for it to run:
> - http://udig.refractions.net/files/downloads/branches/udig-1.2-RC4.macosx.cocoa.x86.zip
> (unstable example)
>
> Recently a volunteer Cliff has also produced a mac "dmg" and he would
> love some feedback:
> - http://udig.refractions.net/files/downloads/branches/udig-1.2-RC4.macosx.cocoa.x86.dmg
> (unstable example)
>
> If you have any knowledge of mac installers we would of course gladly
> accept assistance.
>

> Jody
>
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Antonio Mercado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Regards,
>>
>> I am a new user of Udig and find myself wondering if I am able to use this tool on an iMac, running Snow Leopard, on an Intel Core i7 processor.  It appears to work, but want to make sure I am not about to find some issues later on.
>>
>> Also, the installer leaves the entire package in my download directory.  Normally I would simply move the Udig.app file to an appropriate directory, but I'm not sure if that is all I will need.
>>
>> Any info out there on this topic?  If not, I'll be glad to document my findings.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> --Tony M

Re: Question on deployment to iMac

Jody Garnett-2
The first two (walkthrough 1 and walkthrough 2) offer a quick once over. The remaining instructions for the project are focused on the developer community.

uDig is often used as a starting point for custom or industry specific applications (you can check out the website gallery for examples). I also recommend you check out BeeGIS and JGrass for two publicly available examples.

Jody