Question (only): Is mkgmap-default-style Routing by foot/bicycle according to Usecase ?

Question (only): Is mkgmap-default-style Routing by foot/bicycle according to Usecase ?

AnkEric
Is mkgmap-default-style Routing by foot/bicycle according to Usecase?

1. Navigate from "_START" to "_FINISH".
Routing is OK for both foot and bicycle.
Routing will not use the Motorway.

<http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/file/t344065/1_Routing_Foot_Bicycle_Start_Finish_OK.png>

2. Add one Viapoint "_VIA" AND put it ON the Motorway.
My deliberate Error is just for "testing" purposes. Although I have made the
same mistake in real life several times.
Foot and Cycling are very much prohibited on the Motorway.
Now Routing will follow the Motorway. Which is an error, dangerous and an
offence.

<http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/file/t344065/2_Routing_Foot_Bicycle_Start_VIA_Finish_ERROR.png>

3. My "own" Map is specific to Car or Bicycle or Foot only.
My Bicycle_Map (or Foot_Map) will avoid the "_VIA" as much as possible.
Simply refuses to use the motorway because of explicit [bicycle=no].

<http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/file/t344065/3_Routing_Foot_Bicycle_Start_VIA_Finish_OK.png>

Just a "proof of concept" question!
I'm considering to migrate for my Car-map to mkgmap-default-style.
Car only, so incorrect routing for foot/bicycle is no issue. For me...

Eric (AnkEric)

Re: Question (only): Is mkgmap-default-style Routing by foot/bicycle according to Usecase ?

Gerd Petermann
Hi Eric,

reg. 3) are you sure that the motorway is routable in your map and that the via points are at the same place?
My understanding is that the Garmin routing algo ignores all restrictions when the via or target point is only reachable on a "prohibited" road.

Gerd

Re: Question (only): Is mkgmap-default-style Routing by foot/bicycle according to Usecase ?

AnkEric
> reg. 3) are you sure that the motorway is routable in your map

My Map (with or without quotes), is a Bicycle Map ONLY.
All highways are either [bicycle=yes] OR [bicycle=no].
If [bicycle=no] this implies a highway is NOT routable (access=no).
Therefore all the non-routable ways are gray and ignored for routing (by
BaseCamp, GPS and navigator Anke). Simpel; -)
So selecting a vehicle type for routing is not relevant. Exception: routing
by foot on a bicycle map will ignore [oneway=yes]. Which is sometimes a way
out if OSM-Mapping is not correct (oneway=yes without oneway:bicycle=no).

> and that the via points are at the same place?

Yes they are. I Set 2 Waypoints and 1 Viapoint, Create Route and THEN ONLY
Switch Map. And Recalculate Route.

> My understanding is that the Garmin routing algo ignores all restrictions
> when the via or target point is only reachable on a "prohibited" road.

No answer before dinner and I have to think about what you mean... to be
continued...

Eric

Re: Question (only): Is mkgmap-default-style Routing by foot/bicycle according to Usecase ?

Gerd Petermann
Hi Eric,

a routable way with access=no is not the same as a non-routable way.
If the motorway is a line without road_class or road_speed it is not routable.

Gerd

> reg. 3) are you sure that the motorway is routable in your map

My Map (with or without quotes), is a Bicycle Map ONLY.
All highways are either [bicycle=yes] OR [bicycle=no].
If [bicycle=no] this implies a highway is NOT routable (access=no).
Therefore all the non-routable ways are gray and ignored for routing (by
BaseCamp, GPS and navigator Anke). Simpel; -)
So selecting a vehicle type for routing is not relevant. Exception: routing
by foot on a bicycle map will ignore [oneway=yes]. Which is sometimes a way
out if OSM-Mapping is not correct (oneway=yes without oneway:bicycle=no).

> and that the via points are at the same place?

Yes they are. I Set 2 Waypoints and 1 Viapoint, Create Route and THEN ONLY
Switch Map. And Recalculate Route.

> My understanding is that the Garmin routing algo ignores all restrictions
> when the via or target point is only reachable on a "prohibited" road.

No answer before dinner and I have to think about what you mean... to be
continued...

Eric

Re: Question (only): Is mkgmap-default-style Routing by foot/bicycle according to Usecase ?

AnkEric
Hi Gerd,

Oké, now I understand.
Yes, motorway is a routable way.

highway=primary [0x10000 resolution 18-19 continue with_actions]
highway=primary [0x10014 resolution 20-21 continue with_actions]
highway=primary & bicycle!=no [0x03 road_class=0 road_speed=1 resolution 22
continue with_actions]

Ehhh, NO...!!!

[bicycle=no] will NOT set road_class and road_speed. So my primary is NOT
routable.

Also my motorway is NOT routable.

highway=motorway [0x10000 resolution 18-19 continue with_actions]
highway=motorway [0x10014 resolution 20-21 continue with_actions]

So: ( highway=* & bicycle=no | highway=motorway )  are NOT routable.

> and that the via points are at the same place?

Absolute position waypoint/viapoint is 100% identical (same point), but
relative position to highway might be different IF highway nodes have been
relocated by mkgmap (???, remember ???).

But I have been playing around with via-point position.
Mkgmap will always use the motorway, unless the via-point is closer to
another highway not having bicycle=no.

> My understanding is that the Garmin routing algo ignores all restrictions
> when the via or target point is only reachable on a "prohibited" road.

I don't know or understand.
What I do know: all [highway=service], [surface=sand/gravel],
[highway=steps], [route=ferry] is SET to "mkgmap:unpaved". Therefore I need
to explicitly PUT a via-point ON the ferry before the ferry will be used for
navigation.
But these highway are routable therefore I can force navigation on these
highways.

Anyway: my question is not about my own map. Now I understand it's thanks to
the non routable highways my GPS won't send my ON a motorway.

Question is:
Is it oké (by design) makgmap-default-style will navigate me using a
motorway IF (and only IF) I put a VIA-point on TOP of the motorway?
I admit: that's my error.
But mkgmap-BaseCamp-GPS should help me and tell me: "Don't be stupid, Eric!"