Question

Elly Kort
Hello,

I do have a question. A year ago I got the map of Copenhagen onto the mini-SD-card in my Garmin Dakota 20 in a way I do not know how anymore, but now I do have difficulty getting 2 new maps in it from Verona and Florence, Italy.
I got the two img-files from Openstreetmap and put them directly onto the mini-SDcard in the map OSM Generic Routable where all the other img-files are located (mini-SD-card: Garmin > Maps > OSM Generic Routable).
But when I put the card into the Garmin it doesn't show the map from those cities in Italy.

What do I do wrong?
What I do see is that the 'old' img-files all have a second file with the same name plus the addition of the letters OVM in it.Don;t know what that's for but maybe it is important?

Could you help me urgengtly, because I leave for Italy next tuesday April 29th.
Thanks a lot!!!

ps If you're dutch as myself, please explain what to do in Dutch  :-)

Greetings,
Elly Kort
the Netherlands.

Re: Question

Stephen Johnson
If I understand your problem correctly, I think you probably got your maps from this (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/) location? When maps are generated using this web site they all have the same Family/Product ID. When you try to install them on your computer you, therefore, get the error indicating that the map is already installed and asking if you want to uninstall the old one.  In order to install a second map from this site on your computer (and move it to your Dakota) you have to change the Family/Product ID of the old map before you install the new one.  There is a program called JaVaWa GPS-tools which is available in many languages that allows you to change the Family/Product ID.  Follow this link OpenStreetMap Wiki FAQ for more information.  Also, this FAQ indicates that from April 2014 each map will be generated with a unique Family/Product ID so the simplest solution may be to download all your maps again.  Another issue I have found is that if two maps share tiles (the sections you select on the map to download) they will not load correctly even if you change the Family/Product ID.  I hope this helps.

image
JaVaWa GPS-tools | JaVaWa GMTK
You can create a backup of your maps with JaVaWa GMTK and restore these (e.g. on another computer) including unlock codes. Re-installing maps is unnecessar...
Preview by Yahoo

image
Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl - OpenStreetMap Wiki
Help Available languages • English Other languages — Help us translating this wiki
Preview by Yahoo

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:43 PM, Elly Kort <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your quick response. Hopefully you don't mind me adking you for more advice.
You're right that I got the files from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/.

But I don't get the error your refurring to ("indicating that the map is already installed and asking if you want to uninstall the old one"). I only don't see the roads in Italy Verona) when I look at the map in the Garmin Dakota 20. The rest of the map (the Netherlands) is still visible.(but my earlier saying that also Copenhagen is visible is NOT true)
In the Word-file I enclosed in this e-mail you can see my folders/place of the img-files. I only put those 2 last ones (Verona and Florence in Italy) on the 25th of April in the folder.
But I think it could be a problem that there are no extra files of those two Italy-files with the OVM- in the name (see the enclosure).

But I don't how to solve this all...I'm doing something wrong but what?

Hopefully you can understand a bit better what the problem is I have and give me a solution?

Great thanx in advance....
Elly

Re: Question

Elly Kort

Hello Stephen,

I did it!!
It was a matter of getting the right file onto the Garmin: gmapsupp.img in stead of the other file.

You don't need to answer me anymore, but thank you for your first response!

Greetings,
Happy Elly