Questionnaire

Daniela Šedlárová
Good day, please fill out the questionnaire for my thesis. The questionnaire concerns contributors to the OSM project. It takes you about 10 minutes.
Thanks for your time! Sincerely Daniela

Re: Questionnaire

john whelan-2
6. What do you think about your professionalism in terms of skills needed for OSM? I'm a native English speaker and I haven't the foggiest what you're on about.

Have a look at streetcomplete or attend a HOT mapathon in Africa then rethink this question.  I suggest you do some mapping in OSM first.  Your survey appears to make a number of assumptions about people who contribute to the project .

Cheerio John

Daniela Šedlárová wrote on 2019-03-21 4:24 PM:
Good day, please fill out the questionnaire for my thesis. The questionnaire concerns contributors to the OSM project. It takes you about 10 minutes.
Thanks for your time! Sincerely Daniela

Sent from Postbox

Re: Questionnaire

Pat Tressel

6. What do you think about your professionalism in terms of skills needed for OSM?

Without having seen the survey, I'd say that means:

How do you rate your skill level in OSM mapping?

That is, sounds like it is asking you to self-evaluate.  E.g.:  I'm just starting out.  I've been around a while and have done multiple types of mapping.  All the way to...  I can answer any how-to question and have memorized all the tagging conventions for Africa.  :D  :D  :D

Re: Questionnaire

john whelan-2
If you look at the survey it asks the question after two others about you education level and "In what department did you complete your education?"

Which sort of implies an expectation that you have some sort of University degree in something relevant.

Then look at the answers you need to select from

I have no experiences
I have little experiences
I think, It is quite good
I have very good experiences
I'm a professional
It doesn't make sense to me.  Which means in turn different people will interpret the question differently.  Your interpretation is perfectly valid but it isn't the only one especially when you take into account the suggested answers and the questions that came before it.

I'm a professional racing driver, I'm professional.   I have really good experiences down the pub wiv me mates each Friday night downing six pints of beer each, how is that relevant to OSM mapping?  Well we did an impromptu mapathon for HOT last Friday I suppose.

Then you get into the age of people.  These days around 40+% of the population go to University, fifty years ago in the UK it was 5%.  You're comparing apples to oranges if you compare the number with university degrees.

There is a lot more to running a useful survey than people think.  You need to do a trial and see if your understanding is the same as others and the sample selection is critical.  If you get a group of paid mappers replying, they do do a lot of mapping, you probably won't find many PhD's in your responses.

"How many changes have you made to OSM since that time?"  the OSM term is edits and is shown on your profile.  Using the same terms lessens the confusion.

There is also the concept of respondent burden.  The person running the survey is only one, but OSM contributions by this that and the other is a very popular subject for a thesis

Cheerio John