Questions about osmeditor

Alex Vieira
Dear all,

maybe this should go in the dev mailing list, but anyway, here it goes:

I have 2 questions regarding the osmeditor (maybe more)

1 - is there a special reason to use the gd library instead of the Qt Canvas?
using only Qt would allow easy porting to Windows and Mac (I remember reading
about a user that can not edit in the mac...) with a simple recompile. This
would apply also to other libraries that might be in use by the osmeditor.

2 - whenever I download the code from svn I end up with a bunch of files that
do not compile. I do the qmake -project, qmake -makefile stuff, and it is a
huge mess...I don´t know much about svn (nothing to be precise) isn´t it
possible to make a directory for osmeditor and one for osmeditor2 and put
only the files relevant in the directories?

3 - (I knew there were more than 2 questions) - is there a special reason for
the "canvas" to be slanted (a mathematical necessity or something like that)
or is it just a "feature"?

Thank you for your time and attention,

greetings,

Alex

Re: Questions about osmeditor

Nick Whitelegg-2

Hello Alex,

>Dear all,

>maybe this should go in the dev mailing list, but anyway, here it goes:

>I have 2 questions regarding the osmeditor (maybe more)

>1 - is there a special reason to use the gd library instead of the Qt
Canvas?
>using only Qt would allow easy porting to Windows and Mac (I remember
reading
>about a user that can not edit in the mac...) with a simple recompile.
This
>would apply also to other libraries that might be in use by the osmeditor.

osmeditor does not use gd. The gd application is a separate application to
allow you to generate PNG tiles containing NASA SRTM contours. It is not
used by osmeditor (but the contour generation code is).

One of the big problems ATM is that I have to maintain separate Qt3 and Qt4
versions. This is because most Linux desktop environments use Qt3 at the
moment, while the Windows free edition is Qt4. The sooner KDE4 comes out
the better, then everyone can move to Qt4....

>2 - whenever I download the code from svn I end up with a bunch of files
that
>do not compile. I do the qmake -project, qmake -makefile stuff, and it is
>huge mess...I don´t know much about svn (nothing to be precise) isn´t it
>possible to make a directory for osmeditor and one for osmeditor2 and put
>only the files relevant in the directories?

It doesn't use qmake yet, just type "make osmeditor2".
However, it probably should do. One for the todo list...

Yes, probably they should be in separate directories too.

>3 - (I knew there were more than 2 questions) - is there a special reason
for
>the "canvas" to be slanted (a mathematical necessity or something like
that)
>or is it just a "feature"?

It's an artefact of projecting the globe of the earth onto a flat surface.
Again on the (longer term) todo list...

Nick