Questions on modifying openstreetmap-carto

Questions on modifying openstreetmap-carto

ika-chan! (OpenStreetMap)
Hello,

I have made significant progress in creating a tutorial for a fantasy map server on the wiki, having gone as far as getting Nominatim and its UI working last night.

Now, I am moving my focus to modding OpenStreetMap Carto, and I know a few very basic modifications, like recolouring existing features (see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ika-chan!/British_road_colours). However, I would like to expand on mere recolouring and ask how I can modify OpenStreetMap Carto to:

1. Render “railway=rail” in a different colour when “highspeed=yes”.
2. Render “railway=station” in a different icon when the key “network” contains a certain value or a combination of certain values like (but not exclusively) “National Rail” or “TfL Rail”.

I am still new to OpenStreetMap Carto’s language: I assume that the developers use a text editor for all the rendering rules?

Best,

— ika-chan!

Re: Questions on modifying openstreetmap-carto

Developer Discussion mailing list
Yes, I always used normal text editor.

If you want to see how changes are done
I would recommend looking at pull requests
and commit history.

25 Aug 2020, 18:53 by [hidden email]:
[...]

Andy Townsend
On 25/08/2020 19:52, Mateusz Konieczny via dev wrote:
> Yes, I always used normal text editor.

Same here.  There are projects such as
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TileMill which were / are designed
to automate map reloading after changes, but when I last used TileMill
(a long time ago) there were signnificant problems using TileMill with
an OSM Carto-derived style (not least - there are so many tabs that they
disappeared off the screen).  I tend to just reload when I want to
rerender.  When changing my own OSM Carto-derived map style I use
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/update_render.sh
and
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/update_carto.sh
to reload data (the first if a lua script has changed and the database
needs to be reloaded; the second if only a style file has changed and
the style just needs to be recompiled).

> If you want to see how changes are done
> I would recommend looking at pull requests
> and commit history.

I tried to summarise "Adding a change to OSM Carto" at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/43041 ; some of
that won't be relevant but some of it might still be - things like
testing the effect of a colour change.

If you haven't seen it already, please do read
https://ircama.github.io/osm-carto-tutorials/git-workflow/ and the
related tutorials there - they're excellent!

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Questions on modifying openstreetmap-carto

ika-chan! (OpenStreetMap)
Hello again,

I am starting to get the basics of adding new fields to project.mml, but I now wish to update “amenity-points” so that bus stops use the network name from the “stop_area”, like they do in France. At the moment I can manage:

    tags->'network' AS network,

… which calls up the network tag from the node only. How do I make it to read from the “stop_area” relation too?

Apologies for being very specific: I am very new to anything beyond simple recolours.

— ika-chan!

> On 25 Aug 2020, at 21:44, Andy Townsend <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 25/08/2020 19:52, Mateusz Konieczny via dev wrote:
>> Yes, I always used normal text editor.
>>
> Same here.  There are projects such as https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TileMill which were / are designed to automate map reloading after changes, but when I last used TileMill (a long time ago) there were signnificant problems using TileMill with an OSM Carto-derived style (not least - there are so many tabs that they disappeared off the screen).  I tend to just reload when I want to rerender.  When changing my own OSM Carto-derived map style I use https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/update_render.sh and https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/update_carto.sh to reload data (the first if a lua script has changed and the database needs to be reloaded; the second if only a style file has changed and the style just needs to be recompiled).
>

>> If you want to see how changes are done
>> I would recommend looking at pull requests
>> and commit history.
>>
> I tried to summarise "Adding a change to OSM Carto" at https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/43041 ; some of that won't be relevant but some of it might still be - things like testing the effect of a colour change.
>
> If you haven't seen it already, please do read https://ircama.github.io/osm-carto-tutorials/git-workflow/ and the related tutorials there - they're excellent!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy

Re: Questions on modifying openstreetmap-carto

Developer Discussion mailing list
"reading from relation" part is quite hard.
I have no idea how to do that.

Aug 26, 2020, 09:50 by [hidden email]: