R: [Kosmo_int] Re: 1. New symbols for points and lines - some thoughts and questions

R: [Kosmo_int] Re: 1. New symbols for points and lines - some thoughts and questions

Giuseppe Aruta
Hi Antonio,
going deeply into map symbolizer with Kosmo I came out that Kosmo could easly use any kind of symbols using simple WKT spec. files. The secret to draw exact files is to have a grid that defined the extension (not the dimension!!!) of these symbols inside.

This grid has to be of an extension of a bbox (-0.5  0.5, 0.5 -0.5).
Below I write a WKT polygon for who want to go on developing fancy and useful symbols.

The tecnic:
The base tecnic is to use Openjump, which allowas to write WHT
than save your symbols in WKT and modify OJ WKT into Kosmo WKT with a simple text editor.

For instance
OJ WKT
Polygon((-0.5 0, 0 0.5, 0.5 0, -0.5 0))
becomes
Kosmo WKT
moveto -0.5 0
lineto 0 0.5
lineto 0.5 0
lineto -0.5 0

That bbox preserves the display od the outside symbol lines. Any symbol drawn with a dimension outside that bbox wouldn't be entirely displayed: all the parts outside that bbox will be cut of.

Note that this method defines exactly position, included offset, of symbols which cannot do Kosmo create symbols from shape tool

After this small tutorial my questions  to SAIG  teams are these, all connected to use symbols inside polygons.

1) Kosmo define automatically a white collar around each primitive symbol displayed inside a polygon. I wasn't able to define on which rule Kosmo draw thgis white collar: it seems that the samller is the symbol the larger is the collar. Some times, an angle rotation allows to put this collar to 0 extension, other times this colar seems to enlarge.
Is it possible to set this collar to 0 value by default in Kosmo? I poost with this mail an example of polygon symbol so you can have an idea about what I wrote (set dimension between 10 to 40 to display the effect)

2) Kosmo reaches a reasonable good quality of display, even if this has an effect on speed (see configuration>screan>render>quality). "De toda manera" this quality sometimes seems not enough for some symbols ( see using some of the offset line symbols I posted yesterday).
Is it possible to increase that quality value, or at least define a higher value on printing option?

3) I didn't try yet with advanced printing with my symbols, basic printing seems not able to display new symbology (this vector one) while have no problem to display symbology deriving from external images (png of jpg).

I will do other test, expecially with aresal symbology, and write down my impressions

regards

Giuseppe