RFD Camp ground Kitchens and their fittings

RFD Camp ground Kitchens and their fittings

Follow a thread on another forum (non OSM, but talking about side
issues) I think the following things should be mapped to add information
to the map in regards some, mainly commercial, camp grounds that have
communal kitchens;

stove top (no, not a bbq)
microwave_oven
fridge (or refrigerator to give it a fuller name?)
sink

Most of these have a simple roof structure, leaving all or most sides
open, a few tables and chairs. But it is the above features that make it
better and something I'd look for.

These features may eventually make there way onto indoor mapping too.

They are all man_made so could go there. So all those features under
'man_made'? What ideas/preferences are there? I, as a beginner, could
simply slot them in there .. but I don't like it .. but have no better
idea.

Re: RFD Camp ground Kitchens and their fittings

David Bannon-2
On Sat, 2015-01-31 at 14:55 +1100, Warin wrote:
> ... I think the following things should be mapped to add information
> to the map in regards some, mainly commercial, camp grounds that have
> communal kitchens;

Warin, I recently was looking at  Tag:tourism=camp_site and thinking it
lacked a lot of detail.

There is a proposal to extent at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site
that appears to have run out of steam. But a reasonable start. Would the
features you want to add be more appropriate there ?

I'd have a few things I'd like to add, mainly concentrating on
facilities at what are called "Free Camps" in Oz, generally no (or very
little) charge, remote, basic facilities for well equipped campers.
Opposite end of your target .....

But could be turned into a nice package IMHO.

David

> stove top (no, not a bbq)
> microwave_oven
> fridge (or refrigerator to give it a fuller name?)
> sink
>
> Most of these have a simple roof structure, leaving all or most sides
> open, a few tables and chairs. But it is the above features that make it
> better and something I'd look for.
>
> These features may eventually make there way onto indoor mapping too.
>
> They are all man_made so could go there. So all those features under
> 'man_made'? What ideas/preferences are there? I, as a beginner, could
> simply slot them in there .. but I don't like it .. but have no better
> idea.

Re: RFD Camp ground Kitchens and their fittings

Warin

On 31/01/2015 3:18 PM, David Bannon wrote:
On Sat, 2015-01-31 at 14:55 +1100, Warin wrote:
... I think the following things should be mapped to add information
to the map in regards some, mainly commercial, camp grounds that have
communal kitchens;
Warin, I recently was looking at  Tag:tourism=camp_site and thinking it
lacked a lot of detail.

There is a proposal to extent at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site
that appears to have run out of steam. But a reasonable start. Would the
features you want to add be more appropriate there ?
Thin end of wedge ... the things I've stated go in any kitchen .. thus can be used by the indoor mapping group too.Thus not specific to a camp.
I'd have a few things I'd like to add, mainly concentrating on
facilities at what are called "Free Camps" in Oz, generally no (or very
little) charge, remote, basic facilities for well equipped campers.
Opposite end of your target .....

But could be turned into a nice package IMHO.
I'm less inclined to a package .. someone objects to bit z, another to bit t .. and you get too many people voting against all of it due to their one gripe. So I'll try for one at a time approach and see if they go through that way. My thread is about man_made .. or some other starter to these kind of kitchen things..

The 'fee camps' in Oz are very free form .. in Germany you must place your tent in an area  .. at say section G53 ... they are very regimented.. when you get your site allocated at the front office you don't just go wandering around and select what you want, those were at paid sites .. free sites in Germany .. not found by me, well before OSM. Generally remote OZ = find your own site somewhere, bury your human waste and carry out the rest. If your taking National Parks, State Forests .. some have very nice facilities .. they usually charge at them though.

What other non tagged facilities are you thinking off? Toilets + benches, taps are done. Fire places? Oh .. washing lines? Most of Europe don't know what they are - they use dryers .. not the climate for a washing line.  Laundry .. usually in a building and can be tagged shop=laundry think that exists.

Re: RFD Camp ground Kitchens and their fittings

Ross Scanlon
Had thought about this myself as we also tend to look for camps with
kitchens.

So on a tourism=camp_site or tourism=caravan_site node or way

kitchen=yes
kitchen:stove=yes
kitchen:bbq=yes
kitchen:microvave_oven=yes
kitchen:fire_place=yes
etc...

Cheers
Ross

On 31/01/15 13:55, Warin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Follow a thread on another forum (non OSM, but talking about side
> issues) I think the following things should be mapped to add
> information to the map in regards some, mainly commercial, camp
> grounds that have communal kitchens;
>
> stove top (no, not a bbq)
> microwave_oven
> fridge (or refrigerator to give it a fuller name?)
> sink
>
> Most of these have a simple roof structure, leaving all or most sides
> open, a few tables and chairs. But it is the above features that make
> it better and something I'd look for.
>
> These features may eventually make there way onto indoor mapping too.
>
> They are all man_made so could go there. So all those features under
> 'man_made'? What ideas/preferences are there? I, as a beginner, could
> simply slot them in there .. but I don't like it .. but have no better
> idea.

Re: RFD Camp ground Kitchens and their fittings

John Willis

> On Jan 31, 2015, at 4:29 PM, ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Had thought about this myself as we also tend to look for camps with kitchens.
>
> So on a tourism=camp_site or tourism=caravan_site node or way

What about on the building that is the kitchen in the camp? (so the building is inside the area tagged as the camp)

> kitchen=yes
> kitchen:stove=yes
> kitchen:bbq=yes
> kitchen:microvave_oven=yes
> kitchen:fire_place=yes
> etc…

kitchen:prep_sink=yes   (large sinks for food preparation or large dish washing)
kitchen;prep_area=yes  (large counters)
kitchen:power=yes
kitchen:hot_water=yes (as proposed to water point or the like).

Some of the car camping sites I have seen in Japan have better kitchens (made of cast concrete) than some restaurant kitchens.

Javbw

On 31/01/15 18:11, johnw wrote:

>> On Jan 31, 2015, at 4:29 PM, ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Had thought about this myself as we also tend to look for camps with kitchens.
>>
>> So on a tourism=camp_site or tourism=caravan_site node or way
> What about on the building that is the kitchen in the camp? (so the building is inside the area tagged as the camp)

Only problem with that is that when searching I'd be looking for a
camp/caravan site with kitchen:yes.

On the actual kitchen building I'd suggest

building=kitchen

>> kitchen=yes
>> kitchen:stove=yes
>> kitchen:bbq=yes
>> kitchen:microvave_oven=yes
>> kitchen:fire_place=yes
>> etc…
> kitchen:prep_sink=yes   (large sinks for food preparation or large dish washing)
> kitchen;prep_area=yes  (large counters)
> kitchen:power=yes
> kitchen:hot_water=yes (as proposed to water point or the like).

Can be expanded to include just about anything.

One we used recently would have:

kitchen:crockery=yes
kitchen:cutlery=yes

It's one of the best equipped we've used even though it was basically a
tin shed.  Great fireplace for winter warmth.

Cheers
Ross

On Sat, 2015-01-31 at 15:50 +1100, Warin wrote:
> What other non tagged facilities are you thinking off? Toilets +
> benches, taps are done. Fire places? Oh .. washing lines? Most of

Maybe my issue is probably more changing camp_site documentation ? I'd
mention on that page -

amenity=toilets
fee=yes/no

But I'd like to be able to record camp sites that are -
* Suitable for larger rigs
* Subject to road noise
* Particularly nice places to camp (but "too subjective")
* Max stay times.
* Shady.....

I'll do some reading .....

Oh, and we do have the (commercial) camp grounds where you are allocated
a site and must keep you guy ropes in it. But they are not my
favourite !

David