RNLI Dunkirk Memorial

Andy Mabbett
I've just added the RNLI Dunkirk Memorial at Margate to the map:

but I wasn't sure how to best tag the relation, and the three
connected ways that comprise it.

It's an area of white-painted conrete, in the shape of an anchor.

Any suggestions for improvement?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: RNLI Dunkirk Memorial

Michael Booth
Tagging it as type=memorial and memorial=yes doesn't seem very useful to me.

Even though the wiki doesn't say you can use historic=memorial on a
relation, I would tag it as that. It would be similar to this one nearby
[1], would still get rendered and be recognised by data consumers. Or
failing that, just add it as a node.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7838824

On 03/09/2019 11:40, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> I've just added the RNLI Dunkirk Memorial at Margate to the map:
>
>    https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/9995162
>
> but I wasn't sure how to best tag the relation, and the three
> connected ways that comprise it.
>
> It's an area of white-painted conrete, in the shape of an anchor.
>
> Any suggestions for improvement?

Re: RNLI Dunkirk Memorial

Dan S
Ah, good spot. The "type=*" tag on a relation is usually used to
indicate what sort of relationship is represented, e.g.
type=multipolygon. The latter might in fact be a reasonable thing to
do here?

Best
Dan

On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 at 17:03, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Op di 3 sep. 2019 om 16:06 schreef Michael Booth <[hidden email]>:

> > Even though the wiki doesn't say you can use historic=memorial on a
> > relation, I would tag it as that.

Done; though "historic" seems inapt.

> The "type=*" tag on a relation is usually used to
> indicate what sort of relationship is represented, e.g.
> type=multipolygon.

Done, but JOSM protested that "the multipolygon is not closed"

Thanks, both - what do others think?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: RNLI Dunkirk Memorial

Andy Mabbett
On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 at 15:01, Jez Nicholson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure that there is proper consensus on how to map
> drawn things, like the Cerne Abbas Giant

I've started a discussion, specifically about hill figures, on the tagging list:

  https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-September/047860.html

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: RNLI Dunkirk Memorial

Great Britain mailing list
The Uffington White Horse is tagged as man_made=geoglyph, which seems apposite and is documented (if underused).

Adding a natural=bare_rock  tag to reflect the exposed bedrock underneath (yes, chalk is a rock) would seem acceptable, and would have the definite bonus of getting the shape to render.

Otherwise, a hill figure can be variously a tourist attraction, a memorial, a monument, an archaeological site - it would depend on the specifics of when, by whom and for what purpose it was initially constructed.

On 4/9/19 7:58 am, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 at 17:03, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Op di 3 sep. 2019 om 16:06 schreef Michael Booth <[hidden email]>:
>>> Even though the wiki doesn't say you can use historic=memorial on a
>>> relation, I would tag it as that.
> Done; though "historic" seems inapt.
>
>> The "type=*" tag on a relation is usually used to
>> indicate what sort of relationship is represented, e.g.
>> type=multipolygon.
> Done, but JOSM protested that "the multipolygon is not closed"
>
> Thanks, both - what do others think?

To get around the 'multipolygon is not closed' use the fact that the concrete has a width .. looks about 0.5 metres and map the outline area. Yes it is micro mapping ... and could be better with a width tag but it will close multipolygon. The other relation is a site relation ... not common and may not be rendered.

Re: RNLI Dunkirk Memorial

On 4/9/19 9:16 am, Edward Catmur via Talk-GB wrote:
The Uffington White Horse is tagged as man_made=geoglyph, which seems apposite and is documented (if underused).

+1. Not all on hills, small .. or historic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marree_Man

On 04/09/2019, Edward Catmur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adding a natural=bare_rock  tag to reflect the exposed bedrock underneath
> (yes, chalk is a rock) would seem acceptable

The Margate memorial is painted conrete.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: RNLI Dunkirk Memorial

Andy Townsend
On 03/09/2019 22:58, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 at 17:03, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Op di 3 sep. 2019 om 16:06 schreef Michael Booth <[hidden email]>:
>>> Even though the wiki doesn't say you can use historic=memorial on a
>>> relation, I would tag it as that.
> Done; though "historic" seems inapt.
It's a memorial to something that happened in the past, so I can see the
logic behind "historic" here, but on the more general point it's true
that OSM's top-level tags are often broad categories that include more
than the meaning of the original English word (natural, shop, landuse
all have this to some extent).

>> The "type=*" tag on a relation is usually used to
>> indicate what sort of relationship is represented, e.g.
>> type=multipolygon.
> Done, but JOSM protested that "the multipolygon is not closed"

As currently drawn, it's not actually a multipolygon (i.e. one or more
closed areas with optional holes).  I'd suggest drawing a line around
the outline of the white area (making the whole thing an area rather
than three crossed lines).  That'll give anything that wants to make
sense of what it is more chance of depicting it correctly and will still
be accurate.

Best Regards,

Andy