Rails-to-Trails data

Richard Fairhurst
Hi all,

I see that Rails-to-Trails Conservancy donated their GIS data to Google:

https://www.railstotrails.org/our-work/trail-mapping-and-gis/

Anyone in the US fancy asking if they might do the same for OSM? Our
coverage is good on the major trails (Katy Trail, Coeur d'Alenes, etc.),
but often missing for smaller or less frequented trails, and I believe
RTC have some metadata (surfaces etc.) it'd be good to have. Since most
cycling apps and websites use OSM data it should be a win for RTC to
have better data in OSM.

I'm happy to approach them if no-one else does, but it'd probably be
better coming from, you know, someone on the same continent.

cheers
Richard

Re: Rails-to-Trails data

stevea
While I'm not sure the email address from their website I used is exactly correct, I did make this request to RTC (and cc'd Richard).  I'll let people know here if or how they reply.

Cheers,
SteveA
California

On Mar 6, 2019, at 4:00 AM, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I see that Rails-to-Trails Conservancy donated their GIS data to Google:
>
> https://www.railstotrails.org/our-work/trail-mapping-and-gis/
>
> Anyone in the US fancy asking if they might do the same for OSM? Our coverage is good on the major trails (Katy Trail, Coeur d'Alenes, etc.), but often missing for smaller or less frequented trails, and I believe RTC have some metadata (surfaces etc.) it'd be good to have. Since most cycling apps and websites use OSM data it should be a win for RTC to have better data in OSM.
>
> I'm happy to approach them if no-one else does, but it'd probably be better coming from, you know, someone on the same continent.
>
> cheers
> Richard

Re: Rails-to-Trails data

voschix

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 09:00:01 +0000
From: Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]>
To: talk-us <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Talk-us] Rails-to-Trails data

I see that Rails-to-Trails Conservancy donated their GIS data to Google:

https://www.railstotrails.org/our-work/trail-mapping-and-gis/

Anyone in the US fancy asking if they might do the same for OSM? Our
coverage is good on the major trails (Katy Trail, Coeur d'Alenes, etc.),
but often missing for smaller or less frequented trails, and I believe
RTC have some metadata (surfaces etc.) it'd be good to have. Since most
cycling apps and websites use OSM data it should be a win for RTC to
have better data in OSM.

I'm happy to approach them if no-one else does, but it'd probably be
better coming from, you know, someone on the same continent.

I agree that we should ask for the data.and I agree that this would best be done by the OSM-US community. If not, let's write to them independently as individual OSM mappers.

Volker (Italy)

Re: Rails-To-Trails data

EthnicFood IsGreat
Thanks Steve.

Mark

> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 10:00:20 -0800
> From: OSM Volunteer stevea <[hidden email]>
> To: talk-us <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Rails-to-Trails data
>
> While I'm not sure the email address from their website I used is exactly correct, I did make this request to RTC (and cc'd Richard).  I'll let people know here if or how they reply.
>
> Cheers,
> SteveA
> California
>
> On Mar 6, 2019, at 4:00 AM, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I see that Rails-to-Trails Conservancy donated their GIS data to Google:
>>
>> https://www.railstotrails.org/our-work/trail-mapping-and-gis/
>>
>> Anyone in the US fancy asking if they might do the same for OSM? Our coverage is good on the major trails (Katy Trail, Coeur d'Alenes, etc.), but often missing for smaller or less frequented trails, and I believe RTC have some metadata (surfaces etc.) it'd be good to have. Since most cycling apps and websites use OSM data it should be a win for RTC to have better data in OSM.
>>
>> I'm happy to approach them if no-one else does, but it'd probably be better coming from, you know, someone on the same continent.
>>
>> cheers
>> Richard

Re: Rails-to-Trails data

stevea
You are welcome, Mark.

An update:  yesterday I received a reply saying "forwarded your email to our TrailLink group that handles all GIS data, you should hear back from someone soon."

So, we stay tuned.  As I said, I'll report news here as it happens,
SteveA

On Mar 7, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Steve.
> Mark
>
> > Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 10:00:20 -0800
> > From: OSM Volunteer stevea <[hidden email]>
> > To: talk-us <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Rails-to-Trails data
> >
> > While I'm not sure the email address from their website I used is exactly correct, I did make this request to RTC (and cc'd Richard).  I'll let people know here if or how they reply.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > SteveA
> > California
<remainder redacted for brevity>

Re: Rails-to-Trails data

stevea
An update.  Seeing Mark's recent post about is_in reminded me that it has been two weeks since I politely asked the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy to donate to OSM the same trail data they donated to Google Maps.  I did receive a reply that my message was forwarded to their "TrailLink group that handles all GIS data, you should hear back from someone soon."  However, as of 3/20 (today), nothing.  Yes, I checked my Spam folder, still nothing.

For years (2012-2015) I used to get a monthly e-newsletter (email) from railstotrails.org, but then in March, 2015 these mysteriously stopped arriving.  Fingers crossed this request goes somewhere, these really are choice data and will help OSM in the USA be a map containing yet more excellent hiking and biking trails.

SteveA
California