Railway bridge numbers

Andy Mabbett
All railway bridges (over- and under-) in the UK have a unique number.
often carried on a metal (more recently plastic) identification plate,
or painted on:

   http://www.semgonline.com/structures/numbering.html

Among other things, these are used to speedily identify the bridge in
case of a vehicle strike which may pose a danger to trains or other
traffic:

   http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/3563.aspx

Do we have a scheme for tagging UK railway bridges with their numbers?
I have looked on Wiki, and can't find anything, and my local bridges
are either not tagged; or tagged (for example) ref = B4124:

which does not identify that number as being a NetworkRail reference
(if indeed it is, being on a road overbridge maintained by the local
authority).

If we do not have something more specific, I'm happy to draft
something for discussion.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Railway bridge numbers

Chris Hill-6
Some railway bridges near me have already been added to a bridge relation, not by me, that includes the reference. See http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/446579 as an example. I don't know if this a good idea or not, nor if the number is what you have in mind.

Cheers, Chris
OSM User chillly

Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Philip Barnes

Hi Andy

Seems a good idea. I would suggest a new tag, such as bridge_ref.

I have come across cases of canal bridge numbers using the ref tag, which causes navigation instructions to be

continue onto A41

continue onto 107

continue onto A41

that one was near Tarporley.

Most canal bridge numbers are in the name tag, but I am not sure that is right either.

Phil (trigpoint)

--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 09/04/2013 14:54 Chris Hill wrote:

[...]

Craig Wallace
On 2013-04-09 14:39, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> All railway bridges (over- and under-) in the UK have a unique number.
> often carried on a metal (more recently plastic) identification plate,
> or painted on:
>
>     http://www.semgonline.com/structures/numbering.html
>
> Among other things, these are used to speedily identify the bridge in
> case of a vehicle strike which may pose a danger to trains or other
> traffic:
>
>     http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/3563.aspx
>
> Do we have a scheme for tagging UK railway bridges with their numbers?
> I have looked on Wiki, and can't find anything, and my local bridges
> are either not tagged; or tagged (for example) ref = B4124:
>
>     http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/103233329
>
> which does not identify that number as being a NetworkRail reference
> (if indeed it is, being on a road overbridge maintained by the local
> authority).
>
> If we do not have something more specific, I'm happy to draft
> something for discussion.

That ref=B4124 is presumably the road number, not the bridge number.
The tag bridge_ref (or bridge:ref or ref:bridge) is in fairly common use
for bridge numbers.

I'm not sure if there is any common standard for railway bridges. What
is signposted can vary. Sometimes its just a painted number, sometimes
its a proper plate, including the line reference.
Do you include the line reference as part of the bridge reference? I
think its a good idea to do so, when its known. eg tag as something like
bridge_ref=ETN/1601

Craig

Re: Railway bridge numbers

Richard Fairhurst
Philip Barnes wrote:
> Seems a good idea. I would suggest a new tag, such as bridge_ref.
> I have come across cases of canal bridge numbers using the ref tag [...]
> Most canal bridge numbers are in the name tag, but I am not sure that is right either.

There seem to be a lot of canal bridge numbers in the ref tag around Cheshire, but not so many elsewhere. I've replaced them when I've spotted them.

I've long used bridge_ref for canal bridges, in the same vein as lock_ref and lock_name. The only place that doesn't work easily is on a railway-over-canal bridge, but you can namespace those: railway:bridge_ref, waterway:bridge_ref.

cheers
Richard

Re: Railway bridge numbers

Gregory Williams-2

Yes, this is what I do. In fact the example which Chris picked out was done by me a few years ago when I cycled through the area. I’ve tagged quite a few bridges like this in Kent. You’ll also notice that I’ve included the operator, operator’s phone number, bridge name, etc. on the relation too when they’re included on the sign.

Railway structure numbers seem to have a letter portion, which denotes the line, and a sequential numeric portion. Occasionally there are places where an extra bridge has been added and these have a letter suffix, just like extra motorway junctions.

Cheers,

Gregory

Re: Railway bridge numbers

Richard Mann-2
The first three characters are the "Engineers Line Reference" and used by the civils engineers for a few tens of miles of track (the signalling people have a completely separate location coding, and the timetable planners yet another...).

For instance the line through Oxford is the DCL (Didcot to Chester line), but you'll need to have an interest in railway history to appreciate the logic of that.