Re: FW: UK Motorways 100% Complete

Etienne Cherdlu
Andy
Yes, this is only the first cut of the motorways.  As more points are
uploaded there is plenty of scope for revisiting and refining the
existing segments.  I see this as the start of the process not the
end.

Indeed I've been thinking quite a lot about how, in general, paths can
be reviewed and verified, and how this can be translated into a
statement of confidence/accuracy.

As with Wikipedia the strongest argument against not using OSM is to
doubt it's accuracy, quality and completeness.  Of course *we* know
the maps will be good enough but we could expect Multimap or whoever
to play this card if they ever felt threatened.

Some thoughts:

Accuracy.  Maybe labels could be used to tag each road with a
subjective grading of accuracy.  The presence of good GPS tracks can
help to assess this.  Perhaps a simple scheme like:  Low - no GPS
data, Medium - some GPS data, High - copious GPS data.

Quality.  I've noticed roads that don't have enough nodes on bends and
curves.  These can deviate significantly from the best fit path.
There are also other qualitative factors, such as the omission of
mini-roundabouts (which may not show up from GPS tracks at all),
flares on roundabouts, intersection topology, etc.

Completeness.  The UK Motorways project originated from my original
though "How do we know when we are done?".  To measure completeness we
need a database of all motorways, major roads and minor roads and for
every city, town and village we need a complete catalog of streets.  I
think that only then can we start to be able to say that a place is or
is not complete.

Etienne