Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Default Language Format

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Default Language Format

Rory McCann-3
On 24/09/18 14:36, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> "The key language:default=* with a 2 or 3 letter ISO language code
> should be tagged on administrative boundary relations, such as
> countries, provinces and aboriginal communities.

In Ireland, there are legally defined areas, collectively "The
Gaeltacht"[1], where Irish is more common. There are signs when you
enter, tax breaks, and the place name signs will all be in Irish (rather
than Irish + English)[2]. I don't think we have them mapped yet, and if
we did, we could use this format.

*But* there isn't any administrative boundaries that define them. They
are small and inside other admin boundaries. They aren't "aboriginal
areas", or "protected areas".

So if you're implementing this, I suggest looking at more than just
enclosing boundary=administrative area(s).

--
Rory

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaeltacht
[2] Which can cause problems for tourist towns which use the English
name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingle#Name

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Default Language Format

Joseph Eisenberg
Thank you for bringing up this local example. I had wondered about Ireland.

How are the Gaeltacht legally defined?

Is there a public domain source for the boundaries, beyond the street signs?

Do the boundary lines correspond with village or municipal boundaries? I see that Wiki page Ireland/Boundaries has defined all the way to Admin_level=9 and 10, for electoral divisions and “townlands”

Here in Indonesia I think it will usually be possible to define the language for each “kecematan”, admin_level=8, but sometime we will have to go  to admin_level=9, which are village or neighborhood boundaries.

The nice thing about this proposal (Chrisoph’s Isea originally) is that tagging countries and provinces (admin_level 2 and 4) will be easy, and should work for many places. But countries with more complex linguistic situations can go to admin_level 6, 8, or even more 10.

If that’s total impossible (eg for Canadian First Nations / Native American Reservations etc, which don’t have an admin level), it will usually fit with a boundary=aboriginal_lands, or the alternative tagging boundary=protected_area, class 24 (cultural protection).

But it’s best to use the administrative boundaries with admin_level when possible, so that database users can compare the admin_level to decide which tag is locally valid.

Eg, if the Irish county council admin_level=7 is tagged =en, but a  municipal district (admin_level=8) within that county is tagged =ga, then use Gaelic for that district. But use English for any other municipal districts in the council area which are not specifically tagged. Basically the database application checks the boundaries in descending order from 11  to 10 to 9... to 2, till it finds a default language format tag.

Joseph