Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:golf=cartpath

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:golf=cartpath

Joseph Eisenberg
Any additional comments on golf=cartpath?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:golf%3Dcartpath

On 5/27/19, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've created a complete proposal page for golf=cartpath:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:golf%3Dcartpath
>
> This tag has been used to specify that a path is a cart path within a
> golf course, designated for the use of golf carts.
>
> Please discuss if this tag is necessary and useful in combination with
> highway=service or highway=path and golf_cart=designated.
>
> I see 2 possible benefits to adding this tag:
>
> 1) special renderings for golf course features, without having to do
> spacial queries to find features within leisure=golf_course areas
>
> 2) helping validate cart path features that are within golf courses
> but not connected to other paths.
>
> The alternative is to just use the usually highway and access tags,
> including golf_cart=designated and access=private / customers etc and
> rely on the leisure=golf_course area to say that "this path is a golf
> cart path".
>
> Thoughts?

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:golf=cartpath

> On 8. Jun 2019, at 16:13, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Any additional comments on golf=cartpath?
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:golf%3Dcartpath

what about pedestrians, can they walk on cart paths? And other vehicles, e.g. lawnmowers or tractors?
Shouldn’t these get a highway tag?

Ciao, Martin

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:golf=cartpath

marc marc
thanks for your previous reply but sorry I fail to understand
how that answers my question, so I ask again more simply:
if I want all the path in a park, I create a propal with park=path ?
then forest=path ? and so on with all "this object is inside this one"

you tell yourself that the alternative exists and has been approved.
I have the impression that the only purpose is to validate a bad preset
and we 'll have again a dual tag, because some may use the 1st, some
the 2nd, so at the end, everybody need to add both and query both
to make sure to have all the data (like with forest)
the right proposal would be to depreciate the unapproved schemea
to avoid duplication rather than encourage it

Le 08.06.19 à 16:13, Joseph Eisenberg a écrit :

> Any additional comments on golf=cartpath?
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:golf%3Dcartpath
>
> On 5/27/19, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've created a complete proposal page for golf=cartpath:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:golf%3Dcartpath
>>
>> This tag has been used to specify that a path is a cart path within a
>> golf course, designated for the use of golf carts.
>>
>> Please discuss if this tag is necessary and useful in combination with
>> highway=service or highway=path and golf_cart=designated.
>>
>> I see 2 possible benefits to adding this tag:
>>
>> 1) special renderings for golf course features, without having to do
>> spacial queries to find features within leisure=golf_course areas
>>
>> 2) helping validate cart path features that are within golf courses
>> but not connected to other paths.
>>
>> The alternative is to just use the usually highway and access tags,
>> including golf_cart=designated and access=private / customers etc and
>> rely on the leisure=golf_course area to say that "this path is a golf
>> cart path".
>>
>> Thoughts?

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:golf=cartpath

Joseph Eisenberg
> if I want all the path in a park, I create a propal with park=path ?
> then forest=path ? and so on with all "this object is inside this one"

That's a theoretical risk and I wouldn't support adding any such tags,
but in this case there is already a well-used key "golf=*" for golf
course features such as greens, holes, bunkers, etc, and golf cart
paths in a golf course could be considered part of this system of
tags.

> I have the impression that the only purpose is to validate a bad preset
> and we 'll have again a dual tag,

The ID presets now add highway=path (or =service? I forget) when
golf=cartpath is selected, so this should not be a major issue.

The current proposal requires that highway=* be used along with this tag.

Some mappers might forget to add the highway tag, but since the
feature will not render on the main tile layer (Openstreetmap-Carto
style) or in most other map styles, this should give a hint that
something is missing.

Joseph

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:golf=cartpath

Joseph Eisenberg
> what about pedestrians, can they walk on cart paths? And other vehicles,
> e.g. lawnmowers or tractors?
> Shouldn’t these get a highway tag?

Yes, they should get a highway tag, in my opinion.

The current proposal requires the use of highway=* with golf=cartpath.

Either "highway=service" or "highway=path" should be used, depending
on if it is physically possible for full-sized motor vehicles to use
the way or not.