Re: Fwd: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

Re: Fwd: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

Brian May
I agree, but I would suggest we start with larger metro areas that still require a lot of tiger cleanup. Not many people are going to notice tiger cleanup in rural West Virginia.

In Florida, examples of populous counties that started out with horrible tiger with major work still required:
Seminole County
Volusia County
Marion County
Citrus County

Other large counties that have had a lot of work done correcting horrible tiger, but still a decent chunk to go:
Osceola
Brevard
Pasco

Some large counties started out with decent tiger or bad tiger that has been significantly corrected, but there's a lot of new streets that have been traced with no names or haven't been traced at all:
Broward
Palm Beach
Miami-Dade
Hillsborough
Duval
Lee
Sarasota
Manatee

I updated the Florida wiki last year regarding tiger status and will do more updates on tiger status in the next few days. And I call on others active in FL to chime in and/or update the Florida wiki.

And as far as long driveways in rural areas - that problem is all over the place in rural counties, as well as ways marked as residential that are dirt trails on private property that may or may not even exist. And the rural counties tend to have bad alignment as well. And many have totally wrong or partially wrong street names to boot.

Brian

On 11/8/2012 12:00 PM, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
Hello all,

        I think that mapping a "desert" area could be a good way  to get people involved, because
        1. It's an area that has an urgent need for mapping and
        2.  Much of it is virgin territory, so even beginning mappers could contribute a lot just by correcting TIGER street alignments.
        I also think it's a good idea to limit the area, so we have a good chance of making a visible impact.
        To that end, I would like to suggest West Virginia. I recently encountered a rural area of W.V. while doing the Maproulette. Not only were the roads badly aligned, but the local TIGER technician named every driveway with the same name as the street to which it was connected.

Charlotte

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:59:13 +0100
From: Matthias Meißer [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Talk-us] [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement
 <[hidden email]>

Hi,
as I don't read any discussions about where and what to map, I would like to bring up this essential question again.

Just a few possible ideas (that can be also mixed):
- adding new details (as buildings, landuse, ...)
- fixing TIGER (alignment, classification, ...)
- focus on the coast areas only (big cities)
- focus on the countryside (where no one has been before)
- focus on n states (and making there a huge step)
- ...

cya,
Matthias

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
[hidden email]
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that would affect the first three freedoms.

!i!

Re: Fwd: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

!i!
Can anyone put this into the tasking server please? Offering different
levels of nessesary cleanups sounds good to me, but nobody from the
other end of the world knows the USA on a county level ;)

bye,
Matthias