Re: Interior ring with Potlatch? (Randy)

Re: Interior ring with Potlatch? (Randy)

Aspen Swartz

  12. Re: Interior ring with Potlatch? (Randy)

------------------------------

Message: 12
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:09:44 +0000 (UTC)
From: "Randy" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [OSM-newbies] Interior ring with Potlatch?
To: [hidden email]

Steve Bennett wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Randy
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>JOSM Validator has flagged one of those in my area. I think the tips of
>>the "C" may be overlapping a little, but I haven't gotten around to fixing
>>it yet. A multipolygon is, I believe, the best practice in this case,
>
>Undoubtedly.
>
>>since your "pseudo wall" isn't really an exterior part of the building.
>
>Oh, I didn't know they had to be. What do you do when there's a
>complex of clearly distinct buildings that touch each other? I thought
>tagging them separately (but sharing ways) was the right thing to
>do...
>
>Steve

Concede. "Exterior" was not a good word to use here, I was being lazy. How
about "building boundary demarcation"? (Whether you agree with the intent
of the statement or not.) Even though the building will be rendered as a
whole (with a hole), the underlying data will indicate a discontinuity.

Regarding using a single way for multiple purposes, this is done quiet
often, and I think very appropriate. However, I think the mapper should
consider the potentially common boundary when doing this. Are either side
of the boundary mutually exclusive? That's definitely a case for a common
boundary. If the purposes of the potentially common way are unrelated,
e.g. a highway and an area boundary, then is the area boundary likely to
move if the highway moves? If yes, use a common boundary. If the two uses
are not exclusive, and the relocation of one will not necessarily require
the relocation of the other, then I think separate ways should be used.
That will certainly ease the effort of the mapper who may eventually have
to move one and not the other.

--
Randy

Where two buildings share a wall, it's called a "party wall" or "demising wall" to distinguish it from an interior wall or exterior wall.  Just in case you were curious.

Aspen (eulochon)

Re: Interior ring with Potlatch? (Randy)

Randy-4
Aspen Swartz wrote:

>Where two buildings share a wall, it's called a "party wall" or "demising
>wall" to distinguish it from an interior wall or exterior wall.  Just in
>case you were curious.
>
>Aspen (eulochon)

Thanks for the info. That's a term I don't believe I've ever heard. I
learn more new words dealing with this group :0)

--
Randy