Re: [LearnOSM List] Help in collecting data in Kenya - Canadian students - January 2019

Re: [LearnOSM List] Help in collecting data in Kenya - Canadian students - January 2019

Nick Allen-2
Hi Sarah,

I've included the main HOT mailing list in my reply, and I'm sure there will be many people there who can help.

Regards

Nick (Tallguy)
my phone is responsible for any spelling mistakes!

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 15:05 Sarah Bortolamiol, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am contacting you to get information on your activities, especially the HOT program.

I am a trained geographer and my research is mainly based on human-animal interactions in Uganda and France so far.

I am in charge of a field course for Canadian students to be held in Kenya in January. My course will have between 15 and 20 students and will focus on GIS / data collection and field surveys. The program is still under construction but a priori we will move between Nairobi (6 days), Mt Kenya (4 days), Naivasha (4 days), Maji Moto (4 days), Masai Mara (2 days) and Kakamega (2 days) between January 13th and February 9th 2019. The idea is that I give students basic knowledge on GIS and surveys, and have them collect data in the field afterwards.

I would like students to realize the practical utility of GIS and field surveys, and feel involve in what they do. Therefore I wonder if you have any projects in Kenya, in the areas we will visit, to which we could contribute? In terms of logistics we would have 4 computers with QGIS, generators when we do not have access to electricity, means of transport and a variable internet connection depending on the sites. We also plan to use tablets or mobile phones to collect field data but we have not yet acquired it.

Thank you for the time you will give to my request for information,
Sincerly,
Sarah Bortolamiol
--
Sarah Bortolamiol
Géographe (PhD), Post-doctorante

Re: [LearnOSM List] Help in collecting data in Kenya - Canadian students - January 2019

pierzen
Bonjour Sarah

Je vois que vous êtes localisée à Paris où vous pouvez rencontrer une communauté OSM très dynamique. Je vous invites à consulter / communiquer sur la liste de discussion de OSM-France si vous voulez discuter des techniques de collecte OSM ou connaitre leur calendrier de réunions.
http://www.openstreetmap.fr/
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-fr/

cordialement

Pierre

Le jeudi 27 septembre 2018 03 h 04 min 43 s HAE, Nick Allen <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Chad Blevins
Hi Sarah,

Moving Nick and the HOT list to BCC.

Since you'll be working with university students I wanted to mention there are currently 7 YouthMappers chapters in Kenya.  YouthMappers is a program designed to cultivate a generate of university students to become leaders in building resilient communities by empowering them to define their world through maps.  I'd be happy to make connections with those chapters, who will likely have ideas on places and features to map.

Regards,
Chad

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 3:02 AM, Nick Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

GeoCenter
U.S. Global Development Lab
USAID
202-712-0464