Re: Loading a esri ascii grid 60 Mb

Bis Nulama
Dear Andrea,

I just suggested you a different file with geographic coordinates, so you can download it easily and try to load it...

I am using jgrass (the windows version I downloaded from this link http://jgrass.wiki.software.bz.it/jgrass/Installation)
My problem is to load the file into the mapset.. I do not want to simply visualize it into the mapset but I want to work on it..

From the mapset in the catalogue view I rightclick - operations -import a esri ascii raster into the mapset...

laura

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:45:31 +0200
From: andrea antonello <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [JGrass-users] A laye RE: Loading a esri ascii grid 60 Mb
To: List for jgrass users <[hidden email]>

Just to let you know that I downloaded the file and importaed it with
the import that you access from the right click on the mapset.
As you can see from the attached snapshot, it worked.
For this I used 1000 megabytes of memory.

Andrea

Il remix esclusivo di Messenger. Scaricalo gratis!

Re: Loading a esri ascii grid 60 Mb

Andrea Antonello
Hi,

> I just suggested you a different file with geographic coordinates, so you
> can download it easily and try to load it...

Ah, ok, that makes sense, now everything is clear :)

> I am using jgrass (the windows version I downloaded from this link
> http://jgrass.wiki.software.bz.it/jgrass/Installation)
> My problem is to load the file into the mapset.. I do not want to simply
> visualize it into the mapset but I want to work on it..

Sure, that is what I did.
I imported it as esri file into the mapset and now it is there.

> From the mapset in the catalogue view I rightclick - operations -import a
> esri ascii raster into the mapset...

This one works for me with the 1000 megabytes as stated in my previous mail.

For you the same map doesn't work? I chose the one with Liguria in it.

Andrea

> laura
>

> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:45:31 +0200
> From: andrea antonello <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [JGrass-users] A laye RE: Loading a esri ascii grid 60 Mb
> To: List for jgrass users <[hidden email]>
>
> Just to let you know that I downloaded the file and importaed it with
> the import that you access from the right click on the mapset.
> As you can see from the attached snapshot, it worked.
> For this I used 1000 megabytes of memory.
>
> Andrea

RE: Loading a esri ascii grid 60 Mb

Bis Nulama
Hi Silvia!
Now that I understood why I cannot load my DEMs I feel better Sorriso Emoticon
I will try to download smaller pieces of maps and reduce their resolution ...!
Thanks a lot
Laura

Silvia Franceschi [hidden email]
Tue Apr 21 17:55:05 CEST 2009

Hi Laura,
the problem is the amount of memory and not the velocity... slow can be
good at the beginning if it works.

So probably 800MB are not enough to import your bigger data...
Probably you could solve the import problem just using the gdal command
and then hope the elaborations will work even if you have only 800MB of
data.
So better would be that ones you imported the data you also change the
resolution of the DTM, if you just want to learn JGrass, and then
specific elaborations you should do on a most powerful pc.

So set the mapset as working mapset and then go in the GRASS menu ->
r.in.gdal and select your DTM and other parameters to import.

Hope this helps

Silvia