Re: New version of the API in the making? WAS Wiki Edit War on using/avoiding semicolon lists

Re: New version of the API in the making? WAS Wiki Edit War on using/avoiding semicolon lists

Jo-2
Where can we find out whether a new version of the API is in the making? One that could contain an explicit area type to replace closed ways and multipolygon relations, so they become more robust, and which could have multivalue fields built-in? Are there even plans to do that? All I hear are murmurs that it'd be nice-to-have.

One thing I don 't hear about very often are route relations, which can form a hierarchy, thus allowing reuse. It would lessen the amount of relations ways need to be a member of and it would make maintaining routes for public transport less of a burden. 2-50x less work.
It does add some complexity too, and tools will have to be rewritten to support it, but I'm convinced it's not a difficult concept to grasp. It's in use for some walking routes going across the continent, but it doesn't seem to grasp hold for PT route relations.
When the tools don't support it, it has the disadvantage that one can not visually check whether routes are continuous, but it should be feasible to resolve that.

Jo