Re: OSM mailing list stats

ANDY ROBINSON-2
Steve,

The mailing list figures reveal an interesting trend. The numbers subscribed
to the general list (452) is now a lot lot lower than the number of users
editing data each month, which as of yesterday was 734. The number of users
editing is still on the steady upward trend. Over 10% of registered users
were editors of nodes this last month. That's quite a change in takeup.
There is a clearly discernable increase since Rails (We would need to
analysis more closely to see if the amount of Potlatch data is significant
here).

So what's interesting is that although we are seeing a large number of new
users editing we are not seeing many new faces each month on the list
(although an average increase of around 25 per month is something).

We may need to consider better ways, perhaps via the main www page, blog or
wiki front page to communicate more info to the rising user base, a rolling
news ticker might be useful, or a way of showing the blog subject lines,
that sort of thing. I'm sure others can come up with some good ideas.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson

Re: OSM mailing list stats

osm-9
Andy Robinson wrote:

> The mailing list figures reveal an interesting trend. The numbers subscribed
> to the general list (452) is now a lot lot lower than the number of users
> editing data each month, which as of yesterday was 734. The number of users
> editing is still on the steady upward trend. Over 10% of registered users
> were editors of nodes this last month. That's quite a change in takeup.
> There is a clearly discernable increase since Rails (We would need to
> analysis more closely to see if the amount of Potlatch data is significant
> here).
>
> So what's interesting is that although we are seeing a large number of new
> users editing we are not seeing many new faces each month on the list
> (although an average increase of around 25 per month is something).
>
> We may need to consider better ways, perhaps via the main www page, blog or
> wiki front page to communicate more info to the rising user base, a rolling
> news ticker might be useful, or a way of showing the blog subject lines,
> that sort of thing. I'm sure others can come up with some good ideas.

One of the media is the forum where I see similar trends as you
described above: the userbase (about 50) doubled in the last two months
as did the number of visitors (about 760).

I'm (still) working on a mailing list <-> forum bridge (but mapping has
priority though). Once/if the bridge is functioning the e.g. 10 latest
active topic titles (mail and forum) could be displayed on the wiki
frontpage or somesuch through the use of RSS/Atom
(http://osm.na1400.info/extern.php?action=new&type=RSS).

Question remains though: are those ppl who are editing interested in
(technical or generic) project news or do they just want to map? I
wouldn't be surprised if it is the latter. If so it would indicate the
project is slowly growing out of it's infancy from the userbase point of
view...

Re: OSM mailing list stats

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

> Question remains though: are those ppl who are editing interested in
> (technical or generic) project news or do they just want to map? I
> wouldn't be surprised if it is the latter. If so it would indicate the
> project is slowly growing out of it's infancy from the userbase
> point of
> view...

We should have, at the very least, a low-traffic channel we can use
to talk to everyone who is editing, for important news. Such a
channel will then also require someone to decide what information to
send on the channel (could be done wiki-style with a bit of discipline).

We'd then make sure that editors like JOSM and Potlatch show the
latest info in a popup or so if something has changed since the
user's last login. Ideally, a database flag would tell us when the
user read the news last, but at least those editors with access to
the file system could also store this in a properties file.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00.09' E008°23.33'

Re: OSM mailing list stats

Martijn van Oosterhout-2
On 6/1/07, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We should have, at the very least, a low-traffic channel we can use
> to talk to everyone who is editing, for important news. Such a
> channel will then also require someone to decide what information to
> send on the channel (could be done wiki-style with a bit of discipline).

I think it would be good idea to have an -announce list that we
encourage everyone to subscribe to. Limit posting to just a group of
people (GPG sigs for example). Tbhen the only question remains: what
is important news?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <[hidden email]> http://svana.org/kleptog/

Re: OSM mailing list stats

Zoran Kovacevic
>> We may need to consider better ways, perhaps via the main www page, blog or
>> wiki front page to communicate more info to the rising user base, a rolling
>> news ticker might be useful, or a way of showing the blog subject lines,
>> that sort of thing. I'm sure others can come up with some good ideas.

On the http://www.openstreetmap.nl/ main page, I've included the Gmane
RSS of the talk-nl list. It works in the sense that people will know
there is continuous (Dutch) talk on OSM. Have no numbers to back it up
though.

I think forums can work well too, considering that the archives are
always in view and searchable. Good for people that start out with OSM.
Problem is that the everybody is now using mailing lists (and liking it,
I guess, so not eager to switch).

Best, Zoran

Re: OSM mailing list stats

Chris Jones-3

On 1 Jun 2007, at 10:36, Lambertus wrote:

> I'm (still) working on a mailing list <-> forum bridge (but mapping
> has
> priority though). Once/if the bridge is functioning the e.g. 10 latest
> active topic titles (mail and forum) could be displayed on the wiki
> frontpage or somesuch through the use of RSS/Atom
> (http://osm.na1400.info/extern.php?action=new&type=RSS).

I dont know if ithis is quite what you want to do, but i thought i
should make you aware of Gmane, it provides a nice front-end to
mailing lists.

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap is the front page
for this one.
--
Chris Jones, SUCS Admin
http://sucs.org

Re: OSM mailing list stats

Lars Aronsson
Andy Robinson wrote:

> The mailing list figures reveal an interesting trend. The
> numbers subscribed to the general list (452) is now a lot lot
> lower than the number of users editing data each month, which as
> of yesterday was 734.

I think there are many German map editors who only join the German
mailing list, talk-de.  You would need to count members of the
"talk" mailing lists for all languages (and sort out duplicates).
Starting a single "announce" mailing list in English won't help if
you have members who don't want to read English.

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: OSM mailing list stats

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Andy Robinson]
> The mailing list figures reveal an interesting trend. The numbers
> subscribed to the general list (452) is now a lot lot lower than the
> number of users editing data each month, which as of yesterday was
> 734.

Note that some of us read the list using gmane.org, and thus do not
show up as subscribers.  I know I am.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen