Re: [OSM-talk] HOT Activations for humanitarian relief

Re: [OSM-talk] HOT Activations for humanitarian relief

Tom Taylor-2
How do I back out a change? I picked up three tasks for Homs. On the
first one, not understanding the tools properly, I failed to download
existing data from the map and hence ended up duplicating it in spots.
Someone may have come in after me, so I suppose the choices are to back
out my changes with some risk, or go in and clean it up detail by
detail. I'm quite willing to do the latter -- I started to do so with
the help of the JOSM validation tool, but wondered if a complete
back-out would be better.

The changeset ID is 14888633.

TomT5454

Re: [OSM-talk] HOT Activations for humanitarian relief

Tom Taylor-2
Thanks for your response. I think the area in question is under control
now. The validation errors I found were for a road that was duplicated
between my work and the previous stuff. But once I fixed that and maybe
one or two other things the sector was clean. Someone seems to have
backed out most of my overlaid entries already -- I'm not sure.

Anyway, how it happened: I click on the JOSM button and nothing happens
in JOSM. The web page shows a link to a .osm file, so I do an Open
Location in the JOSM file menu using that link and get the task square
in JOSM. That first task, I started mapping from there. Naturally I got
a big warning when I tried to upload (I don't understnad the details),
but I had invested an hour or two of work at that point and didn't want
to throw it away.

I hadn't looked at the existing Homs map before I started, or I would
have realized that there was already data to be had. I found that out
when I brought up the map to check out the results of my work. As a
result, for the subsequent tasks, I imported the .osm file as above, but
then proceeded to download from OSM in the JOSM File menu as usual,
using the task square already there. That worked. The downloaded data
came in a new layer (plus the GPS trace layer).

I'm sorry to cause extra effort on someone else's part -- probably the
very hard-working Divjo.

Tom Taylor

On 03/02/2013 12:26 PM, Pierre Béland wrote:

> If it is a problem with the data, that you created duplicates, it is
> possible to import the data again in JOSM and look at any problem. I
> did it simply for the changeset ID is 14888633.  I browsed this
> changeset : http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/14888633
>
> Under the image of the zone edited, I selected to edit the zone with
> JOSM. This imported the data in JOSM for validation. I see that some
> orphan electric poles without any line connecting them. You can
> simply correct this by adding the line and saving your result to the
> OSM database.
>

> So I am at your first question were I dont understand what you are
> trying to do. Are you asking to revert the changeset to comeback to
> the situation before you saved the result into the OSM database? How
> do I back out a change?  I dont think that you want to revert your
> changeset since no data was erased. Since you only added data, it is
> easy to correct by importing again the zone and correct what was
> done.
>
> regard
>

> Pierre Béland Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>
> and Coordinator for Mali and DR Congo Activations
>

>> ________________________________ De : Tom Taylor
>> <[hidden email]> À : Pierre Béland <[hidden email]>;
>> [hidden email] Envoyé le : Dimanche 3 février 2013 9h35
>> Objet : Re: [OSM-talk] HOT Activations for humanitarian relief
>>
>> How do I back out a change? I picked up three tasks for Homs. On
>> the first one, not understanding the tools properly, I failed to
>> download existing data from the map and hence ended up duplicating
>> it in spots. Someone may have come in after me, so I suppose the
>> choices are to back out my changes with some risk, or go in and
>> clean it up detail by detail. I'm quite willing to do the latter --
>> I started to do so with the help of the JOSM validation tool, but
>> wondered if a complete back-out would be better.
>>
>> The changeset ID is 14888633.
>>
>> TomT5454

Re: [OSM-talk] HOT Activations for humanitarian relief

pierzen
Tom

For JOSM Remote function to work you must first modify your JOSM preferences to permit this option. After that, when you click on the JOSM button in the Task Manager, the data is automatically imported directly into JOSM.

And when you are a long period in JOSM without editing, you should import the data for this area again to avoid duplicates with other mappers.

If you come to the HOT irc chat, you will find that Divjo is a sympatic guy you can talk with and say you are sorry and want to learn how to improve your skills. That it is all. You will see that people will be pleased to help you.

regard,

Pierre

De : Tom Taylor <[hidden email]>
À : Pierre Béland <[hidden email]>
Cc : "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; HOT Openstreetmap <[hidden email]>
Envoyé le : Dimanche 3 février 2013 12h47
Objet : Re: [OSM-talk] HOT Activations for humanitarian relief