Re: [Openstreetmap] Downloading OSM data

Re: [Openstreetmap] Downloading OSM data

Jo Walsh
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 04:56:49PM -0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
> It was working for me with either 0.1 or 0.2 this last week. For an example
> try the following box for track points:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.2/trackpoints?bbox=52.15,-2.5,52.82,-1&pa
> ge=n
> Similar for nodes and line segments but with "map" rather than "trackpoints"
> and no page requirement.

'map' in 0.2 doesn't work for me, using the bounding box and syntax
given above or a different bbox covering east London. 'trackpoints'
seems to work fine. But there's no time data, which streams of
trackpoints for post-processing aren't so much use without?

-jo

Re: Re: [Openstreetmap] Downloading OSM data

Jo Walsh
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:50:44AM -0800, Jo Walsh wrote:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.2/trackpoints?bbox=52.15,-2.5,52.82,-1&pa
> > ge=n
>
> 'map' in 0.2 doesn't work for me, using the bounding box and syntax
> given above or a different bbox covering east London. 'trackpoints'

sorry, i should have clarified, it auths okay and i get a 200 response
with a document that just reads,

<osm version='0.2'/>

http://map.nodel.org/docs/osmlib.py is the code i'm using to test.

zx

RE: [Openstreetmap] Downloading OSM data

ANDY ROBINSON-2
Jo,

I'll think you will find that the trackpoint data is timestamp order, or at
least in the order they were parsed into the database. If you save the
returned data as a gpx file and open in an off line editor you will find
that the tracks are logical except that there is only one track rather than
a series of tracks, thus the last point of one tracks jumps immediately to
the next.

Andy

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 04:56:49PM -0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
> It was working for me with either 0.1 or 0.2 this last week. For an
example
> try the following box for track points:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.2/trackpoints?bbox=52.15,-2.5,52.82,-1&pa
> ge=n
> Similar for nodes and line segments but with "map" rather than
"trackpoints"
> and no page requirement.

'map' in 0.2 doesn't work for me, using the bounding box and syntax
given above or a different bbox covering east London. 'trackpoints'
seems to work fine. But there's no time data, which streams of
trackpoints for post-processing aren't so much use without?

-jo

Re: [Openstreetmap] Downloading OSM data

Jo Walsh
hi andy, list,

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 05:58:43PM -0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
> I'll think you will find that the trackpoint data is timestamp order, or at
> least in the order they were parsed into the database. If you save the

This is fair enough. It's as much the gaps between the times, as the
ordering of the points, that can be useful for inferring where
segments should join or break. This is not a use case i have, more of
an undeserved nitpick or a call to the principle of "why *not* publish
as much data using HTTP/XML as there is internally?".

I understand there may have been privacy concerns particularly from
data that is other peoples' commercial detritus.
But points coming out of the API dont have track creator data.

I don't mean to seem harping with complaints; champing at the bit more
like, to be able to get at the map bundles for updates...

-jo

RE: [Openstreetmap] Downloading OSM data

ANDY ROBINSON-2
I would agree with you Jo that currently the output side of OSM is not quite
right in terms of usability. But its early days. I think there will always
be a need to keep creator data out of the equation and it's a case of
deciding whether time data is too close to the creator and therefore best to
keep it to the server. For mapping purposes I personally feel that provided
tracks break properly there is no need to know precisely when it was created
or how fast the Aston Martin was travelling at the time :^).... must
remember to add that to my personal wish list!

Andy Robinson