Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] openstreetmap roadmap?

Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] openstreetmap roadmap?

Tom Carden
Ehud Shabtai wrote:

> I've been wondering what is the roadmap of openstreetmap. I'm interested
> in creating some free maps for my country (Israel), but I'm not sure if
> this project fits my requirements.

There is a "Roadmap for Version 1.0" on the wiki...

http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Roadmap_For_Version_1.0

It should still be fairly up to date - errors and ommissions and suggestions
still welcome on the following pages:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Status
http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Ideas

Something should only be on the Roadmap if somebody is planning on actually
implementing it Real Soon Now.  (I'll check that in a minute).

> I understand that you are working on a new applet, is there a list of
> features it will support?

Like the current applet, the first release will support the display of gps
tracks, and allow the user to trace those tracks as nodes/line-segments.  In
addition, it will support the deletion of nodes and segments.  It will also
allow the naming of segments.  It will hopefully use the same look and feel
as the static map renderer (ie use a satellite map background).

> My main interest is doing maps for routing which means I need an option to
> add meta data for each road segment (name, street numbers, connection to
> other segments, etc').

> The approach I'm thinking of is having a server which will receive GPS
> tracks,

We have that.

> transfer them to road segments and nodes and merge with current map

Automatically?  How?  For "version 1.0" we're relying on tracing by hand.

> I also think that it is important to use postgis database as there are
> already many tools which can connect to it and allow viewing (mapserver)
> or editing (qgis, uDig, etc').

Do they support wiki-like features (change history, versioning, rollback,
etc)?

> How does this fit to openstreetmap?

Very well.  The aims for "version 1.0" are modest, but many of the things
you mention would be ideal for "version 2.0" - especially if you will be in
a position to contribute code.

Regards,

Tom.

Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] openstreetmap roadmap?

Ehud Shabtai
On 7/25/05, Tom Carden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a "Roadmap for Version 1.0" on the wiki...

I thought it was out of date (I saw something about gzip the xml-rpc,
while I know you are dropping it).

> Like the current applet, the first release will support the display of gps
> tracks, and allow the user to trace those tracks as nodes/line-segments.  In
> addition, it will support the deletion of nodes and segments.  It will also
> allow the naming of segments.  It will hopefully use the same look and feel
> as the static map renderer (ie use a satellite map background).

How will you group a list of segments which are part of the same
street? Is there a grouping option or simply the same name should be
given to all segments?

> > The approach I'm thinking of is having a server which will receive GPS
> > tracks,
> > transfer them to road segments and nodes and merge with current map
>
> Automatically?  How?

Take the GPS traces, split them to segments (by detecting turns,
detecting intersection, etc') and add them as road segments to the
database. If the database already contains a segment near the one we
want to add, do some merging.

> > I also think that it is important to use postgis database as there are
> > already many tools which can connect to it and allow viewing (mapserver)
> > or editing (qgis, uDig, etc').
>
> Do they support wiki-like features (change history, versioning, rollback,
> etc)?

You could just do incremental backups and point-in-time backups of the
postgres DB. But the idea is not to replace the applet, but to allow
some administrator more control over the database with already
existing tools. You also get free wms, wfs, interfaces.

> > How does this fit to openstreetmap?
>
> Very well.  The aims for "version 1.0" are modest, but many of the things
> you mention would be ideal for "version 2.0" - especially if you will be in
> a position to contribute code.

My first goal is to write a simple server which will transfer the GPS
traces to road segments and insert into the DB. I'd like to get some
information about your applet's DB scheme so I can see how everything
could fit together.

Ehud.

Re: Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] openstreetmap roadmap?

frank mohr
Ehud Shabtai wrote:

> On 7/25/05, Tom Carden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>The approach I'm thinking of is having a server which will receive GPS
>>>tracks,
>>>transfer them to road segments and nodes and merge with current map
>>
>>Automatically?  How?
>

> Take the GPS traces, split them to segments (by detecting turns,
> detecting intersection, etc') and add them as road segments to the
> database. If the database already contains a segment near the one we
> want to add, do some merging.

just this "do some merging" is the problem

i tried several approaches to join 2 track segments, but each
failed in some cases

frank

Frank Mohr wrote:

>Ehud Shabtai wrote:

>>>Automatically?  How?
>>>

>>Take the GPS traces, split them to segments (by detecting turns,
>>detecting intersection, etc') and add them as road segments to the
>>database. If the database already contains a segment near the one we
>>want to add, do some merging.
>>

>just this "do some merging" is the problem
>
>i tried several approaches to join 2 track segments, but each
>failed in some cases

I don't expect to find a perfect solution. It should produce good
results and allow users to correct incorrect merges through an applet.

As I plan to write this utility would you care to discuss the approaches
you tried for doing the merges?

Ehud.

Ehud Shabtai wrote:
> I don't expect to find a perfect solution. It should produce good
> results and allow users to correct incorrect merges through an applet.
>
> As I plan to write this utility would you care to discuss the approaches
> you tried for doing the merges?
>
> Ehud.

the general approach was to use vectors from the points in one track
to track segments in the other track and to use the center of the
connecting line (or a weighted distance) to get the new points

my first approach was just to connect each point in on track with the
next point in the other track ...
no chance to get the resultng points in sequence - at least no easy way

another idea was to calculate a vector from each point, that hits a
track segment of the other track at right angle
(start condition was to use the closest track segment / point distance
and then iterate only over connected track segments)
i didn't find a solution if the algorithm can't find a matching
track segment

my last idea was to use the half angle between two track segments to
get the vector and just find a segment on the other track thats cut
by this vector, but i didn't find the time to implement that yet.
(at least i didn't find problems with this approach on paper)

frank

Re: Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] openstreetmap roadmap?

Ben Gimpert
Hi Ehud,

I'm not sure about the extent of the mathematical gritty-ness of your
merging problem -- but be sure to take a look at the merge* methods in
".../utils/tiger_import/tiger/geometry.rb" that I wrote for cleaning up
the TIGER data. Note that it takes a two "chains" of line segments and
returns a single chain if applicable.

        Ben

Ben Gimpert wrote:

>Hi Ehud,
>
>I'm not sure about the extent of the mathematical gritty-ness of your
>merging problem -- but be sure to take a look at the merge* methods in
>".../utils/tiger_import/tiger/geometry.rb" that I wrote for cleaning up
>the TIGER data. Note that it takes a two "chains" of line segments and
>returns a single chain if applicable.
>
> Ben

Thanks Ben, where can I find the code, is it in svn?

Ehud.

Ehud Shabtai wrote:

> Ben Gimpert wrote:
>
>> Hi Ehud,
>>
>> I'm not sure about the extent of the mathematical gritty-ness of your
>> merging problem -- but be sure to take a look at the merge* methods in
>> ".../utils/tiger_import/tiger/geometry.rb" that I wrote for cleaning up
>> the TIGER data. Note that it takes a two "chains" of line segments and
>> returns a single chain if applicable.
>>
>>     Ben
>>

> Thanks Ben, where can I find the code, is it in svn?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/websvn/

Tom.