Re: Which global OSM mailing list for the "community index"?

Re: Which global OSM mailing list for the "community index"?

Mike N.
On 6/20/2019 5:58 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Clearly one of the global mailing lists is missing here;

   Forum.openstreetmap.org

Re: Which global OSM mailing list for the "community index"?

Andy Townsend
On 20/06/2019 11:46, Mike N wrote:
> On 6/20/2019 5:58 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Clearly one of the global mailing lists is missing here;
>
>   Forum.openstreetmap.org

"talk" probably gets more pairs of eyes on it than the Q&A subforum
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=10 (which is probably
the nearest equivalent).  Both require registration with something that
new participants already have (an email address in one case; some OSM
login credentials in the other).  Both have had similar numbers of posts
today.

Some people will prefer forums to mailing lists, some vice versa; why
not suggest both?

I'd suggest "talk" as a more sensible introductory mailing list to
"tagging" as the latter is higher volume and more in depth in a
particular area of OSM.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Which global OSM mailing list for the "community index"?

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
Frederik,

Feel free to add both. With a proper description it won't hurt.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 2:43 PM Andy Townsend <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20/06/2019 11:46, Mike N wrote:
> On 6/20/2019 5:58 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Clearly one of the global mailing lists is missing here;
>
>   Forum.openstreetmap.org

"talk" probably gets more pairs of eyes on it than the Q&A subforum
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=10 (which is probably
the nearest equivalent).  Both require registration with something that
new participants already have (an email address in one case; some OSM
login credentials in the other).  Both have had similar numbers of posts
today.

Some people will prefer forums to mailing lists, some vice versa; why
not suggest both?

I'd suggest "talk" as a more sensible introductory mailing list to
"tagging" as the latter is higher volume and more in depth in a
particular area of OSM.

Best Regards,

Andy

Darafei Praliaskouski

On 6/20/2019 7:39 AM, Andy Townsend wrote:
> I'd suggest "talk" as a more sensible introductory mailing list to
> "tagging" as the latter is higher volume and more in depth in a
> particular area of OSM.

   It is almost an automatic reaction to redirect questions like "is
this a real shale surface", or "how to tag the mobile home park trailer
numbers?", to tagging, which requires another "email registration cycle".