Re: default style improvements / upated typ-file

Re: default style improvements / upated typ-file

Joris Bo
Hello,

I modified the type-file up to Ticker's changes in build  r4262.
Latest changes can also be found on https://github.com/Jorisbo/Mkgmap-Mapnik-Style-Garmin
It already reflects some new mapnik colors which will be first visible on www.openstreetmap.org in a couple of days

The deltas I found after comparing Tickers changes are
Added rendering for polygons
1)
        place=suburb [0x02 resolution 19]
2)
        # mop up any remaining water areas
        waterway=* & waterway!=no & area!=no {add name='${waterway|subst:"_=> "}'} [0x3b resolution 22]
3)
        natural=water & area_size() < 100000 [0x41 resolution 22]  # Small Lake
4)
        dock=drydock [0x4c resolution 22]  # might also have natural=water
        natural=water & water=lock [0x4c resolution 22 default_name 'Lock']

Added rendering for lines
5)
        highway=raceway | highway=gallop {add name='${highway}'} [0x30 resolution 23]

Some changes to be considered?
Different kinds of public transport are mapped to the same symbol. For now I choose the arbritary bus_station as the most common
        Line 106: amenity=bus_station [0x2f08 resolution 23]
        Line 126: amenity=ferry_terminal [0x2f08 resolution 22]
        Line 206: railway=station [0x2f08 resolution 22]
        Line 207: (public_transport=platform & rail=yes) | railway=halt [0x2f08 resolution 23]

Different kinds of roads mapped to the same linetype, especially cycleways deserve there on linetype I think
        Line 190: highway=bridleway [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=0 resolution 23]
        Line 197: highway=service & service=parking_aisle [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=1 resolution 24]
        Line 198: highway=service & (service=alley | service=driveway) [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=0 resolution 23]
        Line 199: highway=service [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=2 resolution 22]
        Line 201: highway=cycleway [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=1 resolution 23]
        Line 214: highway=turning_loop | highway=turning_circle | highway=layby | highway=escape | highway=emergency_bay [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=0 resolution 24]

Add different (non-routable) linetype for highway = construction instead of converting them to a routable footway (0x16)

Any comments, please let me know,
Kind regards Joris

Re: default style improvements / upated typ-file

Gerd Petermann
Hi Joris,

I've replaced the default style in the typ branch by that from trunk and added your typ with that. I hope that was right?
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/websvn/revision.php?repname=mkgmap&rev=4263

I think about a move/rename of styles\default\typ.txt to typ-files\mapnik.txt using the command
svn move styles\default\typ.txt typ-files\mapnik.txt

Would that be okay for you?

Reg. the other changes I hope that Ticker has an answer.

Gerd

Do aeroway=runway/taxiway/taxilane as lines unless marked as area=yes and show these lines even when also a highway

Ignore more highways when abandoned/disused/demolished

Ignore more highway tags that are not suitable for routing

Convert
highway=steps/corridor/stepping_stones/elevator/escalator/platform to footway with bicycle=no and remove later test for steps

Convert highway=crossing/virtual to path

Don't convert footway to cycleway, but more rules to convert path to footway/cycleway/bridleway

Add footway around man_made=pier even if area=yes

Fix common bad tagging for highway= by converting to the presumed values

Put routable path around highway=pedestrian closed areas; squares/plazas often don't have other routing joining all entry/exit ways. Similarly for footway. Then continue to allow any polygon processing

Handle some rarer highway types by converting to more generic type

Show any other water lines

Removed all the {set cityxx/tmp:city}, & cityxx/tmp:city!=yes, continue with_actions bits from place=city/town...

Group the rules amenity=restaurant/fast_food, cuisine= to clarify, simplify and show better how it relates Garmin "Food & Drink" search and add some more cuisines. One effect of this is that amenity=fast_food,cuisine=pizza/grill moves to the "Fast Food"
category. The other effect is that an element that is both a Restaurant and a Lodging now shows as Lodging rather than Restaurant

For leisure=* where sport might be involved, show the sport if no name available

Show canal/lock as 0x6505 (Water Features>Canal)

Show aeroway=runway/taxiway/taxilane as polygon only if marked as area=yes

Increase resolution that amenity=cafe/fast_food/restaurant polygons show at

Show place=suburb

Alternative rule to show highway=pedestrian as square/plaza unless explicit area=no. highway=footway show as square/plaza if explicit area=yes

Don't assume any other closed highway is parking area, just services/rest_area

Show more historic=*

Show drydock, canal & lock differently from standard natural=water, and use a different code for small lakes

Show any other water area

Show all man_made=* unless explicit area=no

Regards
Ticker

On Fri, 2019-01-11 at 06:13 +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> Hi Ticker,
>
> please, can you summarize the changes implemented with this patch?
> Need this for the svn commit message.
>
> Gerd

Re: default style improvements / upated typ-file

Ticker Berkin
Hi

I agree the name change from mkgmap.txt to something else (no problem
with mapnik.txt) is needed.

I haven't been through this TYP in detail yet. Some of my previous
comments still stands:
 http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2018q4/029103.html

I'd like another, much, much simpler, TYP file for the default style
also to be available. It would avoid re-defining representation that
the typical Garmin device shows.

In my next set of changes I'm planning to change quite a few TYPE
numbers, many as suggested in this thread on 13-Nov-2018:
 http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2018q4/029146.html
but there will be some differences from this post.

Some of these cover Joris's "changes to be considered". Some of the
other suggestions I feel are too much for the default style but I will
consider them.

It will be a few days before I'm able to do anything in this area.

We need some pointers in the documentation to the collection of TYP
-files.

Please can we have these TYP-files in "trunk". I think the "default
-typ" branch it is a hindrance.

Regards
Ticker

On Mon, 2019-01-14 at 06:51 +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi Joris,
>
> I've replaced the default style in the typ branch by that from trunk
> and added your typ with that. I hope that was right?
> http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/websvn/revision.php?repname=mkgmap&rev=4263
>
> I think about a move/rename of styles\default\typ.txt to typ
> -files\mapnik.txt using the command
> svn move styles\default\typ.txt typ-files\mapnik.txt
>
> Would that be okay for you?
>
> Reg. the other changes I hope that Ticker has an answer.
>
> Gerd

Some comments on "Some changes to be considered?"

On Sun, 2019-01-13 at 11:11 +0000, Joris Bo wrote:
> Hello,

> Some changes to be considered?
> Different kinds of public transport are mapped to the same symbol.
> For now I choose the arbritary bus_station as the most common
> Line 106: amenity=bus_station [0x2f08 resolution 23]
> Line 126: amenity=ferry_terminal [0x2f08 resolution 22]
> Line 206: railway=station [0x2f08 resolution 22]
> Line 207: (public_transport=platform & rail=yes) | railway=halt
> [0x2f08 resolution 23]

These POI should fit in with "Find"/"Where to?" > "Transportation"
which has categories:
0x2f02: Auto Rental
0x2f04: Air Transportation
0x2f08: Ground Transportation
0x0f17: Transit Service
so there isn't scope for different symbols

> Different kinds of roads mapped to the same linetype, especially
> cycleways deserve there on linetype I think
> Line 190: highway=bridleway [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=0
> resolution 23]
> Line 197: highway=service & service=parking_aisle [0x07
> road_class=0 road_speed=1 resolution 24]
> Line 198: highway=service & (service=alley | service=driveway)
> [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=0 resolution 23]
> Line 199: highway=service [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=2
> resolution 22]
> Line 201: highway=cycleway [0x07 road_class=0 road_speed=1
> resolution 23]
> Line 214: highway=turning_loop | highway=turning_circle |
> highway=layby | highway=escape | highway=emergency_bay [0x07
> road_class=0 road_speed=0 resolution 24]

I've changed cycleway to have use lineType 0x11.

The others all represent ways that support a motor vehicle, and 0x07
(Alley) is the best fit for this in the standard Garmin Road types.

Some could be changed to use the other, unused, lineTypes in the range
0x0d .. 0x13. These support routing, and, without a typ-file, show as a
thin black line with label 'Line' on some Garmin devices, but not on
all.

> Add different (non-routable) linetype for highway = construction
> instead of converting them to a routable footway (0x16)

I think the original idea was that you'd be able to walk where the
highway was being constructed; this is probably wrong and it would be
clearer to show nothing. I can change this in a future revision if
there is a consensus

> Any comments, please let me know,
> Kind regards Joris

Regards