Oh wow. So Data Items basically is what I'm proposing. I also didn't know it also had a role in the Wikibase Registry (probably wouldn't want to get rid of that).
I guess my only issues with the current system would be:
1. Lack of quality control (it said in the Wiki page for Data items that it has not been implemented yet). Quality control should probably apply to the corresponding Wiki pages themselves too.
2. Lack of synchronization between the Data items and their Wiki pages.
3. JOSM doesn't use Data items yet.
4. The MediaWiki interface is still hard for new users to grasp.
5. Layouts for Wiki pages aren't standardized. Something else my proposal could address would be the conversion of Proposed Feature pages to actual Wiki pages (would require a standardization) but honestly it is not the most important thing.
6. Devs still have to manually add presets. One of my first issues on the iD repo was actually concerning this (btw uneducated at how approved features worked at the time): https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/7552
On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 4:01 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Send dev mailing list submissions to
dev mailing list
(0) if you want to reply it would be better to disable digest mode
Nov 16, 2020, 01:21 by [hidden email]:
Wiki pages are relatively well watched (warning: I am biased here,
as I am one of people quite active in that field).
Data items are not, as watchlisting them is dysfunctional (no way to skip
translations that given person cannot review, no way of grouping edits, standard edit
leave no description of edit and so on)
This sort of works and is causing issues due to lack of control in Data Items
I am dubious is it useful or going to happen, but it is up to JOSM developers
And note, that even if data items interface would be very easy - you still need
wiki pages for freeform description/comments
I am dubious whatever authors of editors would abandon maintaining presets and switch to
simply pulling from Data Items
Note that, for example, JOSM and iD are using icons in different styles.
dev mailing list
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|