Re: landuse for government offices ?

SelfishSeahorse
Hello everyone!

I haven't forgotten the landuse=civic_admin proposal, but I'm
uncertain about two points and would like to know your opinion:

* Isn't 'civic administration' limited to the administration of a town
or city (compared to the administration of the state, county etc.)?
Maybe it would be better to use landuse=public_administration (24
uses) or simply landuse=government (162 uses) instead. (For
comparison: landuse=civic_admin also has 162 uses.)
* Currently the proposal only includes areas of legislative, executive
and governmental administration use, but excludes courts. Wouldn't it
make sense to also include courts? People who want to distinguish
administration, legislature, executive and judiciary could do this
with a sub-tag, e.g. government=*.

Regards
Markus

Re: landuse for government offices ?

Graeme Fitzpatrick
On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 05:28, SelfishSeahorse <[hidden email]> wrote:

* Isn't 'civic administration' limited to the administration of a town
or city (compared to the administration of the state, county etc.)?

I would have said that it applied to any & all levels of Govt - local, State & Federal

Maybe it would be better to use ... simply landuse=government (162 uses) instead.

 That may be easier / clearer?

* Currently the proposal only includes areas of legislative, executive
and governmental administration use, but excludes courts. Wouldn't it
make sense to also include courts? People who want to distinguish
administration, legislature, executive and judiciary could do this
with a sub-tag, e.g. government=*.

I would think that it should be used on all (?) Govt lands / buildings, with the exception of military.

Thanks

Graeme

Re: landuse for government offices ?

Joseph Eisenberg
Civic_admin is a little too specific, but government is not specific enough. 90% of the land in some western American States will be owned and managed by some level of government; eg National and State forests and grasslands, parks and monuments, military reservations, wildlife preserves, BLM land (used for rangeland and even mining), as well as land used for administrative buildings.

I suspect military landuse in cities would be at highest risk for confusion if the tag is landuse=government.

I’m perfectly happy with Civic_Admin, because national and provincial government functions are also “Civic” in the sense of “for citizens / the people”, if not in the “civic equals city” sense.

But public_admin would be fine too. I don’t think this would cause any confusion.

Joseph

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 6:29 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John Willis

Javbw

> On Oct 2, 2018, at 8:02 AM, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 90% of the land in some western American States will be owned and managed by some level of government

This is not about who is on the operator=* tag on a hundred square miles of grazing lands in Colorado.

It is about mapping the landuse for the *office building* for the land administration office in the state capital that handles the applications from ranchers wanting to use that land.

National parks, preserves, grazing lands, military bases, and other "lands" controlled by the government are simply empty land with a boundary (which have very specific tags),  which would be tagged as they normally should be now.

"Civic Admin" is about mapping the offices and centers where Civic employees do their job and interface with citizens - not where cows interface with grass 😉

Land literally used for Civic administration -or any land for sale would be "landuse=retail" ! 😁

Javbw.

Re: landuse for government offices ?

Joseph Eisenberg
Oh, I understand this tag.

I was just concerned that other mappers might misuse the tag if it isn't clear.

I know that as a new user (just a few months ago!) I would often just try typing in words in the ID editor,
and picking the tag that looked right. Who has time to follow the link to the wiki for everything?
So it's a good idea if the tag name is as unambiguous as possible.