Re: osm rendering

Dudley Ibbett
Hi

I was wondering what the process is for getting changes to the main osm website.  Is this something that is considered at SOTM?  Is is for the OSMF ARM?  i.e. how would we as mappers seek to have additional items rendered, rendering changed or rendering shown at a lower magnification?

Many Thanks

Dudley

Re: osm rendering

David K

Changes to the main osm.org rendering are done by modifying some of the code or configuration files for one or more steps in the rendering process -- most commonly, only a stylesheet file needs to be altered.  All of these things, including the stylesheets, are managed over on trac.openstreetmap.org .  I'm not sure how easy it is to gain the ability to directly make changes there, but you can open a trac ticket to request someone else make the necessary changes.

As I understand it, the "mapnik team" over on trac who maintains rendering-related stuff is fairly busy, so it would be helpful if your trac ticket is very specific about what you want to change, and doesn't interact significantly with already-complex parts of the stylesheet such as roads.  If your suggestion would add a new symbol to the map, it would be helpful to supply a png or svg file of the new symbol.

Keep in mind that not every rendering change is technically feasible, or appropriate for the general-purpose map style shown on osm.org.  If your idea is ignored or rejected, don't take it personally.

On Mar 9, 2013 12:51 PM, "Dudley Ibbett" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I was wondering what the process is for getting changes to the main osm website.  Is this something that is considered at SOTM?  Is is for the OSMF ARM?  i.e. how would we as mappers seek to have additional items rendered, rendering changed or rendering shown at a lower magnification?

Many Thanks

Dudley

Re: osm rendering

Dudley Ibbett
Many Thanks

I'll have a think before I raise a change request.

Dudley