Quantcast

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

tbanchuin
Hi Andrea, Simone and the rest,

I encountered some problems as I was trying to build GDAL.  

1. Kakadu - I don't have a license.  Do you know how to obtain a free one for the purpose of building GDAL
2. MrSID - The current available version of LizardTech GeoExpress appears to be different from the one the GDAL ./configure expects.  For example, the ./configure expects many .h files to be in the subfolder "support" of the "include" folder of GeoExpress:   

checking for lt_base.h in /Users/local/EC/tban019/Documents/Research/otherprojects/ImageIOExt/lib-macosx/Geo_DSDK-7.0.0.2167/include/support... not found.
   configure: error:   MrSID requested, but components not found.

Any suggestions?  Is there any value in compiling GDAL without Kakadu and MrSID support?  

Compiling GDAL without those supports on my machine has a problem as well.  It needs a 64-bit python library:

ld: warning: in /Library/Frameworks//Python.framework/Python, missing required architecture x86_64 in file
Undefined symbols:
     "_PyFloat_AsDouble", referenced from:
         __wrap_ptrset in gdal_wrap.o
         __wrap_ptrset in gdal_wrap.o
         __wrap_ptrcreate in gdal_wrap.o
         __wrap_ptrcreate in gdal_wrap.o
     "_PyType_Type", referenced from:
.
.
.
   ld: symbol(s) not found
   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
   make[1]: *** [_gdalmodule.la] E

Any idea what this missing library may be?  I will do some research and talk to the GDAL community as well.

Cheers,
Tawan 

_______________________________________________
User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS (uDig)
http://udig.refractions.net
http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/udig-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

tbanchuin
Some clarification reg building GeoExpress: lt_base.h does exist in the "include" folder, but it's at the root not in a subfolder like the way the ./configure expects.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

tbanchuin
After disabling Python (do we need it?), I could successfully compile GDAL.  It can support libz, tiff, geotiff, png, gif, jpeg and maybe a few others, but not MrSID, Kakadu or ECW.  Will it be of any value to us?  If you need the full list of supported formats, I can run the ./configure command again to produce the list.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

Silvia Franceschi-2
Hi Tawan,
for me the ECW would be very important to have also in mac. Is it possible to try to compile the GDAL for supporting at least this format?

Thanks,

Silvia

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 11:59 PM, tbanchuin <[hidden email]> wrote:

After disabling Python (do we need it?), I could successfully compile GDAL.
It can support libz, tiff, geotiff, png, gif, jpeg and maybe a few others,
but not MrSID, Kakadu or ECW.  Will it be of any value to us?  If you need
the full list of supported formats, I can run the ./configure command again
to produce the list.
--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-uDig-1.2-RC2-on-OS-X-10.6-missing-GDAL-Bindings--Yes...-tp28763366p28773466.html
Sent from the udig-devel mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS (uDig)
http://udig.refractions.net
http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/udig-devel


_______________________________________________
User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS (uDig)
http://udig.refractions.net
http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/udig-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

tbanchuin
Hi Silvia,

Simone and Andrea had touble compiling GDAL against ECW (ERDAS ECW JPEC 2000 SDK) in the past (see attached for a lot more detail).  I did some investigation to see whether the problem has been fixed, but to my dismay we can no longer download the SDK, at least for now:

http://www.erdas.com/tabid/84/currentid/1142/default.aspx

Maybe, the new version, when it comes out, will not have the same problem.  We likely need to wait for the new version of imageio-ext, which will hopefuly work with the newer binary version of GDAL for Mac.  The new binary distribution provides support for ECW and others by default if I remember correctly.  The download site is currently down. :-(  

http://www.python.orggdal/wiki/DownloadingGdalBinaries

Tawan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

Jody Garnett-2
You many be able to ask Simone or Andrea if they have their download of the SDK that they could send you?
I am not aware of plans for imageio-ext right now ... Simone do you have an update?

Jody


On 07/06/2010, at 8:07 AM, tbanchuin wrote:

> Hi Silvia,
>
> Simone and Andrea had touble compiling GDAL against ECW (ERDAS ECW JPEC 2000
> SDK) in the past (see attached for a lot more detail).  I did some
> investigation to see whether the problem has been fixed, but to my dismay we
> can no longer download the SDK, at least for now:
>
> http://www.erdas.com/tabid/84/currentid/1142/default.aspx
>
> Maybe, the new version, when it comes out, will not have the same problem.
> We likely need to wait for the new version of imageio-ext, which will
> hopefuly work with the newer binary version of GDAL for Mac.  The new binary
> distribution provides support for ECW and others by default if I remember
> correctly.  The download site is currently down. :-(  
>
> http://www.python.orggdal/wiki/DownloadingGdalBinaries
>
> Tawan
> --
> View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-uDig-1.2-RC2-on-OS-X-10.6-missing-GDAL-Bindings--Yes...-tp28763366p28793397.html
> Sent from the udig-devel mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS (uDig)
> http://udig.refractions.net
> http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/udig-devel

_______________________________________________
User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS (uDig)
http://udig.refractions.net
http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/udig-devel
Loading...