Real time in public transport

A A

Real time in public transport

A A
Hello everyone!

What do you think about the possibility of adding a url to the "departures_board" or "passenger_information_display" tag to be able to report arrival times in real time at a train / subway / bus station?

I think it can be very useful information. If it is added in a simple way through a tag, it could be easily implemented by mapping and navigation software and used for navigation in public transport or simply for querying the waiting time at a specific public transport station.

I think we should agree on how to enter this data and include this way in our mapping practice.

Re: Real time in public transport

Andy Townsend
On 13/11/2019 12:24, A A wrote:
What do you think about the possibility of adding a url to the "departures_board" or "passenger_information_display" tag to be able to report arrival times in real time at a train / subway / bus station?

I think it can be very useful information. If it is added in a simple way through a tag, it could be easily implemented by mapping and navigation software and used for navigation in public transport or simply for querying the waiting time at a specific public transport station.

Is there perhaps some website with that information (an actual departure board, not a vague "link to timetables")?  If so, wouldn't the "website" tag work for that, like at https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2083241360 ?

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Real time in public transport

Jo-2
I was considering to use the 'url' tag for a link to the real-time passing times of our stops in Flanders, Belgium:

or http:/mijnlijn.be/303058, which expands to the above url.

the stop's id number is already contained in ref:De_Lijn for all these stops, I might drop the ref:De_Lijn tag if/when I do that.

Polyglot

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 5:16 PM Andy Townsend <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13/11/2019 12:24, A A wrote:
What do you think about the possibility of adding a url to the "departures_board" or "passenger_information_display" tag to be able to report arrival times in real time at a train / subway / bus station?

I think it can be very useful information. If it is added in a simple way through a tag, it could be easily implemented by mapping and navigation software and used for navigation in public transport or simply for querying the waiting time at a specific public transport station.

Is there perhaps some website with that information (an actual departure board, not a vague "link to timetables")?  If so, wouldn't the "website" tag work for that, like at https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2083241360 ?

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Real time in public transport

Svetlana Tkachenko
Hello All,

This is a large interactive web page. Can be bit difficult to load on a mobile. Is the real time bus arrival information available via API?

In Sydney we used to have an SMS service, given a bus stop ID it would output information in the format

"339 - 12:34 - in 5 mins (on time)
L94 - 12:39 - in 10 mins (delayed by 2 mins)"

for bus departures from this stop during the next ~10-15 mins. I think now they provide the real time information via a standard API in "Google format" but it is quite difficult to follow...

-- Svetlana

A A

Re: Real time in public transport

A A
Website or url tags are a good idea, in fact I have used them in some cases but I don't know if it would be better to write the link in the Departures_board tag in case any station has a website to not duplicate the website tag.