Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

franco_bez
Hi all,

maybe it's already a know bug.
I just stumbled over this one:

On a new Oregon750 I got the Error "cannot authenticate maps", while on the old Oregon550 the maps worked like always.

I found out that changing the option "unicode" to "latin1" in my style did the trick, the resulting maps work on both devices.

Over here in Germany I have no problem with latin1, but I suspect that in Russia or in the middle east or far east countries this will be a real problem.

I attached the Error Screenshots.

Ciao,
  Franco
Error Message
Error Message in German

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

Gerd Petermann
Hi Franco,

my understanding is that this is not a bug, but a limitation implemented by Garmin.
My mothers Nüvi also doesn't load unicode maps.
One reason might be that some indexes don't work with unicode and mkgmap doesn't
write the needed ones. I cannot try that now.
If the 750 loads a unicode map without an index we may have a chance by doing more reverse
engeneering of old maps.
On the other hand, I wonder how long they will the support the old img format written by mkgmap,
maybe this is the first step to drop this support.

Gerd

On a new Oregon750 I got the Error "cannot authenticate maps", while on the
old Oregon550 the maps worked like always.

I found out that changing the option "unicode" to "latin1" in my style did
the trick, the resulting maps work on both devices.

Over here in Germany I have no problem with latin1, but I suspect that in
Russia or in the middle east or far east countries this will be a real
problem.

I attached the Error Screenshots.

Ciao,
  Franco
<http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/file/n5901399/IMG_20170818_063414%7E01.jpg>
<http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/file/n5901399/IMG_20170818_063911%7E01.jpg>

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

popej
Hi,

 > my understanding is that this is not a bug, but a limitation
 > implemented by Garmin.

This is true. Garmin maps can be digitally signed. Many new GPS require,
that Unicode map include signature. Signature is a protection against
tampering, which is reasonable for commercial maps, but it exclude
support for 3-rd party maps.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

Franco Bez
Hi Gerd and Andrzej,

I do not see any reason why GARMIN should only require UNICODE maps to be signed, while LATIN1 maps can remain unsigned.

I suspect that there is a flag in the file header, maybe a new and undocumented one, that marks the file as "check for signature".
When the Oregon checks the signature, and finds out that there is none, it states that the check failed.

Maybe mkgmap accidentally marks the file as "to be checked for signature" when it writes out a unicode map.

Does this soud plausible to you ?

I uploaded a sample map that produces the error, it just contains administrative border lines as an overlay layer. I'm not sure whether it contains an index or not .
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/356/dach_boundary_gmapsupp_error.img

I can do a little testing if you can provide me with test cases.

Ciao,
  Franco

Am 26.08.2017 um 06:59 schrieb Gerd Petermann:
Hi Franco,

my understanding is that this is not a bug, but a limitation implemented by Garmin.
My mothers Nüvi also doesn't load unicode maps.
One reason might be that some indexes don't work with unicode and mkgmap doesn't
write the needed ones. I cannot try that now.
If the 750 loads a unicode map without an index we may have a chance by doing more reverse
engeneering of old maps.
On the other hand, I wonder how long they will the support the old img format written by mkgmap,
maybe this is the first step to drop this support.

Gerd

Am 26.08.2017 um 11:51 schrieb Andrzej Popowski:
Hi,

> my understanding is that this is not a bug, but a limitation
> implemented by Garmin.

This is true. Garmin maps can be digitally signed. Many new GPS require, that Unicode map include signature. Signature is a protection against tampering, which is reasonable for commercial maps, but it exclude support for 3-rd party maps.

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

franco_bez
Hi Gerd and Andrzej,

I do not see any reason why GARMIN should only require UNICODE maps to be signed, while LATIN1 maps can remain unsigned.

I suspect that there is a flag in the file header, maybe a new and undocumented one, that marks the file as "check for signature".
When the Oregon checks the signature, and finds out that there is none, it states that the check failed.

Maybe mkgmap accidentally marks the file as "to be checked for signature" when it writes out a unicode map.

Does this soud plausible to you ?

I uploaded a sample map that produces the error, it just contains administrative border lines as an overlay layer. I'm not sure whether it contains an index or not .
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/356/dach_boundary_gmapsupp_error.img

I can do a little testing if you can provide me with test cases.

Ciao,
  Franco

Am 26.08.2017 um 06:59 schrieb Gerd Petermann:
> Hi Franco,
>
> my understanding is that this is not a bug, but a limitation implemented by Garmin.
> My mothers Nüvi also doesn't load unicode maps.
> One reason might be that some indexes don't work with unicode and mkgmap doesn't
> write the needed ones. I cannot try that now.
> If the 750 loads a unicode map without an index we may have a chance by doing more reverse
> engeneering of old maps.
> On the other hand, I wonder how long they will the support the old img format written by mkgmap,
> maybe this is the first step to drop this support.
>
> Gerd

Am 26.08.2017 um 11:51 schrieb Andrzej Popowski:
> Hi,
>
> > my understanding is that this is not a bug, but a limitation
> > implemented by Garmin.
>
> This is true. Garmin maps can be digitally signed. Many new GPS require, that Unicode map include signature. Signature is a protection against tampering, which is reasonable for commercial maps, but it exclude support for 3-rd party maps.

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

popej
Hi Franco,

 > I do not see any reason why GARMIN should only require UNICODE maps to
 > be signed, while LATIN1 maps can remain unsigned.

Signature is a protection for locked map. Garmin can't implement a
protection, which would disable maps already sold, so the protection is
triggered by a feature, which appears only in new maps.

 > I suspect that there is a flag in the file header, maybe a new and
 > undocumented one, that marks the file as "check for signature".

Code page is the flag. Independent flag in header would damage the whole
idea of protection, if you could simply turn it off.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

Waxy

I tested the dach_boundary_gmapsupp_error.img…

On a etrex 30 : no message "cannot authenticate maps" and boundaries are
visible.
On a GPSMAP64s : error message "cannot authenticate maps" and the map is
not listed.

Steph

Le 26/08/2017 à 23:01, franco_bez a écrit :

> Hi Gerd and Andrzej,
>
> I do not see any reason why GARMIN should only require UNICODE maps to be
> signed, while LATIN1 maps can remain unsigned.
>
> I suspect that there is a flag in the file header, maybe a new and
> undocumented one, that marks the file as "check for signature".
> When the Oregon checks the signature, and finds out that there is none, it
> states that the check failed.
>
> Maybe mkgmap accidentally marks the file as "to be checked for signature"
> when it writes out a unicode map.
>
> Does this soud plausible to you ?
>
> I uploaded a sample map that produces the error, it just contains
> administrative border lines as an overlay layer. I'm not sure whether it
> contains an index or not .
> http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/356/dach_boundary_gmapsupp_error.img
>
> I can do a little testing if you can provide me with test cases.
>
> Ciao,
>   Franco
>

> Am 26.08.2017 um 06:59 schrieb Gerd Petermann:
>> Hi Franco,
>>
>> my understanding is that this is not a bug, but a limitation implemented
>> by Garmin.
>> My mothers Nüvi also doesn't load unicode maps.
>> One reason might be that some indexes don't work with unicode and mkgmap
>> doesn't
>> write the needed ones. I cannot try that now.
>> If the 750 loads a unicode map without an index we may have a chance by
>> doing more reverse
>> engeneering of old maps.
>> On the other hand, I wonder how long they will the support the old img
>> format written by mkgmap,
>> maybe this is the first step to drop this support.
>>
>> Gerd

> Am 26.08.2017 um 11:51 schrieb Andrzej Popowski:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> my understanding is that this is not a bug, but a limitation
>>> implemented by Garmin.
>>
>> This is true. Garmin maps can be digitally signed. Many new GPS require,
>> that Unicode map include signature. Signature is a protection against
>> tampering, which is reasonable for commercial maps, but it exclude support
>> for 3-rd party maps.

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

franco_bez
Waxy wrote
Hi,

I tested the dach_boundary_gmapsupp_error.img…

On a etrex 30 : no message "cannot authenticate maps" and boundaries are
visible.
On a GPSMAP64s : error message "cannot authenticate maps" and the map is
not listed.

Steph
Hi Steph,

this is exactly what happens on recent firmware with any map built with the option unicode.

Ciao,
 Franco

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

franco_bez
One last thought:

maybe it's not a bug in mkgmap, and maybe there is no way to fix this on our
side.
But in any way there will be more and more people affected as the number of
new Garmin devices increases.

So we should issue a warning message when maps are built with the unicode
option.

Something like:

"The use of the option unicode will cause problems on recent Garmin devices.
Consider using another encoding instead."

What do You think ?

Ciao,
 Franco

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

Felix Hartmann-2
this can go into documentation not the compile process itself I think. The warning should be for real warnings that happen because of bugs/problems.

On 13 September 2017 at 21:57, franco_bez <[hidden email]> wrote:
One last thought:

maybe it's not a bug in mkgmap, and maybe there is no way to fix this on our
side.
But in any way there will be more and more people affected as the number of
new Garmin devices increases.

So we should issue a warning message when maps are built with the unicode
option.

Something like:

"The use of the option unicode will cause problems on recent Garmin devices.
Consider using another encoding instead."

What do You think ?

Ciao,
 Franco

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

The documentation and help already contains this
--unicode
        This is equivalent to --code-page=65001. Note that
        some devices don't support unicode maps produced by mkgmap.

I added the hint while working on the optimize-index branch, it is in the branch since r3968.
Please suggest improvements if this is not enough.

Gerd

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

Felix Hartmann-2
I would rephrase it to "Note that neither very old devices (introduced up to around ~2011) - nor newer devices (introduced ~late 2015 or newer) can show unicode maps. Newer devices can however mostly be made compatible by using grey market firmware. (actually the firmwares that are designed to circumvent new garmin devices to show "pirated" copyrighted garmin maps will also mean that those devices will be able to show mkgmap unicode maps. In my opinion in Europe it would be legal to use such firmware if you simply want to show OSM based mkgmap created "non pirated" maps - while illegal if used to show "pirated" garmin maps.
The only new devices for which this firmware is not available/ or better the firmware patcher for this does not work are some of the garmin smart devices like the Fenix watches and I'm not sure if it works on all automotive devices like Zumo or Nuvi.

So maybe in this firmware patcher some clues could be found (or better if the author would release the relevant clues/sourcecode on request)?

(just google garmin firmware patcher to find it)

On 14 September 2017 at 07:47, Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

The documentation and help already contains this
--unicode
        This is equivalent to --code-page=65001. Note that
        some devices don't support unicode maps produced by mkgmap.

I added the hint while working on the optimize-index branch, it is in the branch since r3968.
Please suggest improvements if this is not enough.

Gerd

Re: Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

Gerd Petermann
Hi Felix,

I understand that tools like this exists, but I don't think that we should add it to the documentation of mkgmap.
I would not even dare to click on a link for it because of the higher risk to download some malware.

Gerd