Referencing Photos

Tac Tacelosky
Is there proper way to reference photos?  In particular, I'm thinking of retail outlets, pictures of storefronts that clearly show the name and may indicate type of store.

Obviously, Creative Common-licensed photos would be better (or ODbL), but are they a requirement?  If there's a public domain photo hosted on a commercial site (e..g Flickr), would that preclude it from being referenced in OSM?

Wikipedia Commons is obviously one good source:

Tac

Re: Referencing Photos

Serge Wroclawski-2

Short answer: Not at the moment.

Long answer: It was tried in the past, but doesn't fit the OSM model, and it's been abandoned with cause.

In the future there may be ways to bring this back, but additional software would need to be written.

-Serge