Removing "WikiProject" prefix

dcapillae
Hi,

I am Daniel, from Spain. I would like to change the name of the wiki
pages related to the United Kingdom mapping project to remove the
"Wikiproject" prefix according to the pages name conventions [1].

The name of the pages related to the United Kingdom mapping project
would be "United Kingdom" (name of place) instead of "Wikiproject United
Kingdom", as recommended by the wiki conventions. It is a change that I
have already made in United States [2], Canada [3], Spain [4], Australia
[5], New Zealand [6], South Africa [7], and all Spanish-speaking
countries [8] on the Wiki. The pages of Israel, Denmark and Philippines
have also been renamed.

Many pages of the UK mapping project have already been renamed. Only a
few remain. I could make the necessary changes. All pages with
"WikiProject" prefix will be redirected automatically. There will be no
broken links in any case.  I'll make sure everything works correctly,
just like now.

Do you like the idea? There was already a discussion in the wiki about
this subject [9].

Thank you for you attention! Greetings from Spain.

Regards,
Daniel

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wiki_organisation#Pages_naming_convention
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada
[4] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ES:Spain
[5] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australia
[6] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Zealand
[7] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/South_Africa
[8] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Spanish_speaking_countries
[9] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:WikiProject_United_Kingdom

Re: Removing "WikiProject" prefix

Andrew Hain
The page “WikiProject United Kingdom” had the prefix removed for a while in the past but it was changed back. I would be happy to see your project continue here.

--
Andrew

Re: Removing "WikiProject" prefix

Jez Nicholson
Good timing.

I've been doing a lot of work recently to locate pages that the United Kingdom community are responsible for. The next step is renaming, and I/we would love to lose the words 'WikiProject'.

As to naming pages, I was stuck on 'United Kingdom/Railways" Vs "United Kingdom Railways" Vs "Railways in the United Kingdom".

Is the wiki going with "United Kingdom xyz", that is no '/' prefix and subject last?

- Jez

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019, 13:24 Andrew Hain, <[hidden email]> wrote:
The page “WikiProject United Kingdom” had the prefix removed for a while in the past but it was changed back. I would be happy to see your project continue here.

--
Andrew

Description. The "Solent" area of Central Southern England isn't a county as such, but is arguably worth having its own WikiProject as it is one of the better mapped areas in the UK outside of the large cities.

Re: Removing "WikiProject" prefix

dcapillae

Hi, Andrew.

Thank you for commenting.

I have only renamed country pages because the pages naming coventions recommend not to use the prefix "WikiProject" in place pages. I haven't renamed other "WikiProject" because I don't know the conventions in other cases.

A subpage "United Kingdom/Power networks" (or "Power networks in United Kingdom", I have no preferences about the name) could be created and then move/copy the contents from those wikiproject pages to the UK mapping project pages, and redirect the old page to the new one if necessary.

El 3/8/19 a las 14:23, Andrew Hain escribió:
The page “WikiProject United Kingdom” had the prefix removed for a while in the past but it was changed back. I would be happy to see your project continue here.

--
Andrew

Re: Removing "WikiProject" prefix

dcapillae

Hi, Jez.

Thank you for commenting.

I don't know if there's a convention about this. It seems that every community uses one scheme or another according to their own preferences. Some countries use "United Kingdom Railways" and others "United Kingdom/Railways". I don't have preferences for one or the other.

In the pages of the US mapping project I used the scheme "United States/Railways", "United States/Boundaries", etc. They use two schemes, both with "/" and without "/". For example, there are pages like "United States/Projects" and others like "United States roads tagging" or "United States admin level". All the pages of the United States mapping project are in the category "Category:United States", so they are easy to find even if they have different names.

I would only remove the prefix "WikiProject" from the pages related to the UK mapping project. I usually use subpages to keep all the pages related to the mapping project in the same page tree. However, I understand that other solutions are also possible.

If your community have a preference, I'll do what you prefer.

El 3/8/19 a las 17:13, Jez Nicholson escribió:

[...]

I'd just rename these pages:

WikiProject United Kingdom
--> United Kingdom

WikiProject United Kingdom/Parcel Lockers
--> United Kingdom/Parcel Lockers

WikiProject United Kingdom Sustrans Artwork
--> United Kingdom/Sustrans Artwork

And in response to Andrew's request:

WikiProject Power networks/Great Britain (redirect)
--> United Kingdom/Power networks

WikiProject Power networks/United Kingdom (redirect)
--> United Kingdom/Power networks

I'll wait a couple of days in case anyone disagrees. It's really a minor
change, it doesn't matter much. Just remove the prefix "WikiProject"
from the pages related to the UK mapping project. That's all.

I will take the opportunity to add the category [[Category:United
Kingdom]] to pages which are not yet categorized and are related to
United Kingdom.

Thank you for your collaboration. Greetings from Spain.

Regards,
Daniel

Re: Removing "WikiProject" prefix

Russ Garrett
On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 at 12:32, dcapillae <[hidden email]> wrote:
> WikiProject Power networks/Great Britain (redirect)
> --> United Kingdom/Power networks

FWIW, I'm responsible for this page and it has "Great Britain" rather
than "United Kingdom" in the title for a valid (pedantic) reason: the
power network in Northern Ireland is different and explicitly not
covered by that page.

I think I'd be happier renaming the whole "WikiProject Power Networks"
namespace to "Power Networks" and keeping the structure within that. I
can check if this is acceptable with the infrastructure mappers I know
(I suspect it will be).

Russ

--
Russ Garrett

Re: Removing "WikiProject" prefix

dcapillae
Hi, Russ.

Thank you for commenting.

I don't know the pages naming conventions for other types of pages, as I
told Andrew in a previous message. In place pages (United Kingdom,
Spain, London, Madrid, etc.) it is not recommended to use the prefix
"WikiProject".

I collaborate on a wikiproject aimed at improving the translation of the
wiki. In that case, I think it makes sense to use the prefix
"WikiProject". In the case of the "WikiProject Power networks", I don't
know.

I will rename only the pages "WikiProject United Kingdom" then. I won't
rename the "WikiProject Power networks" pages. If the contributors of
the "WikiProject Power networks" want to rename it, they can do it later
if they wish.

Thanks again for commenting.

Regards,
Daniel