Removing "Wikiproject" prefix from place pages

Removing "Wikiproject" prefix from place pages

dcapillae
Hi,

I'm renaming some wiki pages to remove the "Wikiproject" prefix from the
country pages, following the page naming conventions [1].

I renamed the pages related to Spain months ago. Then I continued through
America. The pages of all Spanish-speaking countries are already renamed [2]
and I have just renamed the pages related to the United States [3].

I would encourage you to make these changes for yourselves. If a volunteer
from each local community did it on their country page, we would do it
together and much faster.

I will try to rename the pages related to Canada, maybe Germany or Italy, if
I have time. First I have to contact the local communities to know if they
want to collaborate or if they prefer to rename them themselves.

Regards,
Daniel

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wiki_organisation#Pages_naming_convention
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Spanish_speaking_countries
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/General-Discussion-f5171242.html

Re: Removing "Wikiproject" prefix from place pages

Harry Wood
The idea of getting rid of the "WikiProject" page title prefix. There's a bit of discussion of that here
Discussion from 10 years ago!  As I said a the time, I support the idea in principle. I don't like the "WikiProject" prefixes on country pages and I've given my justification for that there, however it's a relatively subtle benefit and quite a disruptive major renaming exercise.

10 years later though there's a shift of opinion which might mean we're ready for this. What I mean is, over time there's probably fewer people feeling precious about their old wiki pages and more people feeling the wiki needs to be tidier! (and getting page naming right can help with tidiness although it's far from the only issue)

Another overlapping topic is how we use sub-pages. Generally we use them too much in my opinion. Often renaming a country page will entail renaming a whole load of sub-pages.

The list of "WikiProject" titled pages is here:

Harry

On Thursday, 18 July 2019, 01:29:10 BST, dcapillae <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm renaming some wiki pages to remove the "Wikiproject" prefix from the
country pages, following the page naming conventions [1].

I renamed the pages related to Spain months ago. Then I continued through
America. The pages of all Spanish-speaking countries are already renamed [2]
and I have just renamed the pages related to the United States [3].

I would encourage you to make these changes for yourselves. If a volunteer
from each local community did it on their country page, we would do it
together and much faster.

I will try to rename the pages related to Canada, maybe Germany or Italy, if
I have time. First I have to contact the local communities to know if they
want to collaborate or if they prefer to rename them themselves.

Regards,
Daniel

[1]

Re: Removing "Wikiproject" prefix from place pages

> On 18. Jul 2019, at 11:04, Harry Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I will try to rename the pages related to Canada, maybe Germany or Italy, if
> I have time. First I have to contact the local communities to know if they
> want to collaborate or if they prefer to rename them themselves.

I’m a bit reluctant with renaming because of all the links outside of the osm-Wiki that will break, or will there be redirects?

Cheers Martin

Re: Removing "Wikiproject" prefix from place pages

dcapillae
Hi,

No problem. There will be redirects automatically.

An external link to the "WikiProject United States" page is automatically
redirected to "United States". The same goes for "WikiProject Spain",
"WikiProject Argentina", etc.

The main difficulty is the time. You have to dedicate some time to rename
pages. You have to change not only the main page of the country, but also
the subpages:

WikiProject United States     -                           --->     United
States
WikiProject United States/Boundaries                --->     United
States/Boundaries
WikiProject United States/Railways                   --->     United
States/Railways
WikiProject United States/Road classifications   --->     United States/Road
classifications
etc.

The results are very good. Shorter and more appropriate page names. From the
smallest village to the largest country, all with their own name in the OSM
wiki.

I like to make these changes, but I don't have as much time as I'd like. If
we cooperate, we'll do it faster. I take this opportunity to correct some
deficiencies in the pages (missing categories, language templates, etc.) and
to order correctly all the pages related to each country's mapping project.

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/General-Discussion-f5171242.html

Re: Removing "Wikiproject" prefix from place pages

Tordanik
I'm in favour of dropping the "WikiProject" prefix from page titles.
It's been mildly bothering me for a while, but the amount of manual
effort involved has stopped me from doing anything about it so far.

Thanks to Daniel for being willing to tackle this! The Talk:Wiki page
and the Wiki subforum might also be good places to potentially recruit
volunteers for the task.

On 18.07.19 11:04, Harry Wood wrote:
> The idea of getting rid of the "WikiProject" page title prefix. There's
> a bit of discussion of that here
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_organisation#Page_Name_conventions.2Fguidelines

Interesting background, thanks! This kind of history isn't always easy
to find if you're not aware of it.

Tobias

Re: Removing "Wikiproject" prefix from place pages

dcapillae
Hi, Harry!

Thank you for your comments.

I don't like the "WikiProject" prefixes on country pages either. I have
contacted many local communities and they all liked the idea (except Spain,
my country, where initially there was a resistance to abandon the
"WikiProject" prefix, for sentimental reasons, I think, but I explained the
advantages and finally they also liked the idea). There is already a lot of
country pages without prefix "WikiProject" in the wiki.

I have contacted the Canadian community and we will remove the prefix
"WikiProject" next week. The communities in the UK, Germany and France are
very important. If I can help, I offer my help, although it would be great
if volunteers from these communities were encouraged to remove the prefix
"Wikiproject" for themselves.

Thank you for the links. Very useful!

Greetings from Spain.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/General-Discussion-f5171242.html

Re: Removing "Wikiproject" prefix from place pages

dcapillae
Thank you, Tobias!

I'm going to follow your recommendations. I am also contacting local
communities one by one to encourage them to collaborate.

Greetings from Spain.

Regards,
Daniel

--