Renaming a validator rule

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Renaming a validator rule

Nelson A. de Oliveira
How feasible it is to rename a validator rule in
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Rules ?

Last month we had an issue here in Brazil, where an user enabled the
rules from Portugal and started to wrongly validate and modify data.
Most probably the word "Português" caused this, since it can be
interpreted as the Portuguese language (and not the country,
Portugal).

Technically, can rules be renamed? People who use the current rules
will stay with an outdated rule forever if it gets renamed?
Is there a way to force users migrating from one rule to another one?

_______________________________________________
josm-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/josm-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Renaming a validator rule

Dirk Stöcker
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:

> How feasible it is to rename a validator rule in
> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Rules ?

Not a good idea.

> Technically, can rules be renamed?

Yes.

> People who use the current rules will stay with an outdated rule forever
> if it gets renamed?

Yes.

> Is there a way to force users migrating from one rule to another one?

I think if the old URL vanishs completely some weeks later they will get
an error, but I'm not toally sure. Also don't know if that error can be
skipped or results in dropping the old rule. It's somewhere in the
caching code :-)

Ciao
--
http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

_______________________________________________
josm-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/josm-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Renaming a validator rule

Dirk Stöcker
In reply to this post by Nelson A. de Oliveira
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:

> Technically, can rules be renamed?

In my last mail I talk about the whole rule and wiki page. It's no issue
to simply change the "title" of the rule if that helps.

Ciao
--
http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

_______________________________________________
josm-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/josm-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Renaming a validator rule

Wiktor Niesiobedzki
In reply to this post by Dirk Stöcker
2015-12-14 20:16 GMT+01:00 Dirk Stöcker <[hidden email]>:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2015, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
>> Is there a way to force users migrating from one rule to another one?
>
>
> I think if the old URL vanishs completely some weeks later they will get an
> error, but I'm not toally sure. Also don't know if that error can be skipped
> or results in dropping the old rule. It's somewhere in the caching code :-)

As far as my experience goes, failure to download fresh rule will
result in using old file until it's cached version is removed.

Though CachedFile:448 indicates, that should be the case only for two
weeks (using default maxAge), but that's not what I've experienced
when some validator rules were moved.

Cheers,

Wiktor

_______________________________________________
josm-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/josm-dev