Replace tagging mailling list with Loomio?

Replace tagging mailling list with Loomio?

Hans De Kryger

Re: Replace tagging mailling list with Loomio?

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 05/23/2015 02:17 PM, Hans De Kryger wrote:
> How's this going? Any decisions?

Of over 400 people posting on the tagging list, only 5 have shown any
interest in that. I'll leave it to you to infer any decisions from that ;)

Bye
Frederik

Re: Replace tagging mailling list with Loomio?

André Pirard-2
On 2015-05-23 14:17, Hans De Kryger wrote :
Is that an opinion?
I have reported in more than 5 words that I was unable to subscribe (via Google).
I was asked to open a ticket but there has never been a single answer.

On the other hand, I have explained that archiving the present discussions on an IMAP server is way better.
In terms of search capability, HTML support and managing messages like those of your own mail-books (replying, forwarding ...).
I'm doing that for several lists on a Gmail account and I'm extremely happy with it.
The problem was that a public IMAP archive server should be Read-Only.
Since then, I discovered Dovecot (
Setting up a public read-only mailing list archive).
But there's rarely much understanding and interest for what I write.

Cheers

André.

Re: Replace tagging mailling list with Loomio?

David Bannon-2
On Sat, 2015-05-23 at 14:50 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Of over 400 people posting on the tagging list, only 5 have shown any
> interest in that. I'll leave it to you to infer any decisions from that ;)

Well, yes. As one of the five who did try, I can say I tried it. It
works, its possibly a bit easier to manage than the mailing list but I
don't see it has enough benefit for the trauma of change.

Mind you, that change is quite small, Loomio can be treated as a mailing
list for those that don't want the Loomio interface. But still,
insufficient incentive to change IMHO.

People don't like change.

David

Re: Replace tagging mailling list with Loomio?

jgpacker
As one of the people that evaluated Loomio, I have to say that it actually would be good enough for replacing the tagging mailing list with considerable benefits*, with two caveats: (1) it's not too suitable for the long ramblings and discussions (no paging) that are characteristic of the tagging mailing list** and (2) it doesn't have tree-style threading. There was also some (minor) controversy about whether having markdown is good or bad.

* the benefits being: the like button, ability to edit messages (with public history), an easier system to handle overall (subscription, configuration, browsing), ability to formally propose solutions and get votes on it (that's why Loomio was made for) and other modern features such as setting deadlines and notifying other users by email

** maybe that's not a problem, and it could succed in the seemingly impossible task of making the tagging mailing list productive ;-)

In my opinion, the absence of "Like" options in the mailing list is a big problem, because _most_ people here  don't really participate in the discussion, but probably would "like" the posts they agree with. This way new users could actually have an idea of what the majority of the community actually agrees with.